The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Literary Sci-Fi & Fantasy List for 2015-2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Basil (last edited May 09, 2018 05:25AM) (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) | 1 comments Hi all the people :)

I'm interested (as I'm sure many of you are) in sci-fi and fantasy books that can also be considered "literary fiction". Either their prose is superb, or the ideas are challenging (or both), or maybe they have great prose and kinda skirt the line between genre and mainstream fiction (magical realism, for example).

Anyhoo, I've started a list to that effect and would be absolutely thrilled if you all'd chime in with your picks for the best literary sci-fi & fantasy.

Link:

Best Literary Sci-Fi & Fantasy: 2015-2020

Thanks!

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments That's a really good question - and one that will, no doubt, cause much friendly debate :)

Unfortunately, I don't tend to read much so soon after it's out so can't really contribute to such up-to-date lists. Perhaps something by decade?

message 3: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) | 1 comments Paul wrote: "That's a really good question - and one that will, no doubt, cause much friendly debate :)

Unfortunately, I don't tend to read much so soon after it's out so can't really contribute to such up-to..."

Hmm... I'm in the same boat, actually. A whole decade might be a bit too broad, maybe a list for stuff published 2015-2020 though... I will revise and edit the original post with a new link.

Thanks for the input!

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Would LINCOLN IN THE BARDO meet the criteria?

message 5: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) | 1 comments Jessica wrote: "Would LINCOLN IN THE BARDO meet the criteria?"

From the description on GR, I'd respond with a big, fat "YES".

message 6: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) | 1 comments Paul wrote: "That's a really good question - and one that will, no doubt, cause much friendly debate :)

Unfortunately, I don't tend to read much so soon after it's out so can't really contribute to such up-to..."

Hey Paul,

We could always make a list for the years 2010-2015 as well. Let me know because I probably could contribute several titles to a list like that.

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 493 comments Basil wrote: "We could always make a list for the years 2010-2015 as well. Let me know because I probably could contribute several titles to a list like that. ..."

I think so, too :)

message 8: by Basil (new)

Basil Godevenos (basilgodevenos) | 1 comments Paul wrote: "Basil wrote: "We could always make a list for the years 2010-2015 as well. Let me know because I probably could contribute several titles to a list like that. ..."

I think so, too :)"

And here it is: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...