Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Pinborough, Sarah-- Behind Her Eyes informal buddy read thread starts May 18, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 148 (148 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough.

description

Synopsis
Louise is a single mom, a secretary, stuck in a modern-day rut. On a rare night out, she meets a man in a bar and sparks fly. Though he leaves after they kiss, she’s thrilled she finally connected with someone.

When Louise arrives at work on Monday, she meets her new boss, David. The man from the bar. The very married man from the bar…who says the kiss was a terrible mistake but who still can’t keep his eyes off Louise.

And then Louise bumps into Adele, who’s new to town and in need of a friend, but she also just happens to be married to David. David and Adele look like the picture-perfect husband and wife, but then why is David so controlling, and why is Adele so scared of him?

As Louise is drawn into David and Adele’s orbit, she uncovers more puzzling questions than answers. The only thing that is crystal clear is that something in this marriage is very, very wrong, but Louise can’t guess how wrong―and how far a person might go to protect their marriage’s secrets.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 405 comments I have already read this one, but am going to lurk in your thread because I want to hear what you think of this one.

message 4: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I have already read this one, but am going to lurk in your thread because I want to hear what you think of this one."

Lurk away! lol :D

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I have already read this one, but am going to lurk in your thread because I want to hear what you think of this one."

Lol, come back and chat with us! I can't wait to read this!

message 6: by Marie (UK) (last edited May 09, 2018 07:55AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4968 comments I might join in this one how does it work I am in TT VI team cedric dig gory os anyone else doing Tower teams

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Marie,
Yes, Teddie and I are both reading this for Towers VI and are on two separate teams. I 'm on team Newt Scamander; I 'm not sure which team Teddie is on.

Marie, I was told do not read any spoilers or reviews for this book; the less you know the better! That in itself makes me want to really read this book:-)

Its pretty relaxed and informal; I read what I can (depending on RL) and then come back here to discuss what I read using spoilers in case I'm ahead of someone else. Depending on time and if I like the book I can usually read a good chunk. We can decide ahead of time how many chapters you would like to read. Tbh, we are pretty flexible and just want to read and chat!! Does that help?

message 8: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 4968 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Marie,
Yes, Teddie and I are both reading this for Towers VI and are on two separate teams. I 'm on team Newt Scamander; I 'm not sure which team Teddie is on.

Marie, I was told do not read a..."

Yes Laura it does I am looking forward to it. Picked it up from Library on Friday sitting on bookshelf waiting to be read

message 9: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I’m on Hermione Granger :)

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Are you both able to start early? I'm ok with that!
Happy Mother's Day!

message 11: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1967 comments Checking in from Team Flitwick. I have just downloaded a copy of this book and am looking forward to reading it with you all. Ready to start whenever.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Kate, welcome!

message 13: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I have it and can start whenever you guys want :)

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I think from Marie's post above she could start anytime as well. Let's wait and see if she wants to start early too.

message 15: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1390 comments Hi all
I'm also with Towers VI and I'm on team Minerva McGonagall.
I've been wanting to read this book, but kept on being pulled away to some other book. I'm happy to start whenever.
How do buddy reads work?

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Chava, welcome. This one is supposed to be good. As its an informal buddy read you may read as much or little at one time and then come back here and post your thoughts. We all read at different paces so its nice to use spoiler tags so not to give anything away for anyone joining later.

We are just waiting on Marie to see if she could start earlier

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I'd like to join this one too. Heard good things and I own a copy so I'm ready anytime.

message 18: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1390 comments I've just put a hold on it at the library. I probably won't get it until Friday

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Don't look at any reviews Joanne. I've been told the less you know the better! Welcome!

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Thillers these days are so tricky. Even when reviews don't think they're spoiling anything, mentioning any little detail gives away too much.

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7533 comments Mod
I'm gonna try & play along too :)

It's such a nice day here in UK that I expect Marie is out enjoying her Yorkshire countryside. She'll drop by soon, I'm sure

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Cat wrote: "I'm gonna try & play along too :)

It's such a nice day here in UK that I expect Marie is out enjoying her Yorkshire countryside. She'll drop by soon, I'm sure"

Hopefully with an audio book!! No worries, we can wait for Marie to pop back in. There are lots of books to keep us occupied until then and if anyone really wants to start early feel free.

message 23: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 1403 comments May I join as well? Got my copy all ready to go and am very intrigued by obscure descriptions I did dare to peek at :)

message 24: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7533 comments Mod
I guess the main rule for this one is totally embracing the spoiler tags!

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Elena wrote: "May I join as well? Got my copy all ready to go and am very intrigued by obscure descriptions I did dare to peek at :)"

Absolutely, Elena, the more the merrier. Yup, we probably don't want to discuss this one without the spoiler tags.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1710 comments Just to round out the Cedric presence, I put a hold on this on the library today, so I may join in if I get it in time. There are two copies, so I have a better chance than usual of getting it soon.

message 27: by Vicki (last edited May 17, 2018 10:38AM) (new)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 1701 comments Hey everyone, I am a true cover snob! If I like the cover, I oftentimes (more often than not) don't have to read the synopsis. I haven't read the blurb about the book so I'm going in totally blind! That's how I got into this Buddy Read. I'm in for Team Hermione Granger. :)

message 28: by Laura (last edited May 17, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Vicki,
I read a lot of books based on the cover appeal. This cover is definitely interesting!

Edit - time permits I may read a couple of chapters tonight
I.can't.wait.any.longer!!!

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I'm starting right now!

message 30: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Chapter 1

(view spoiler)

Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

Chapter 3

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Starting !! Can't wait to read your spoilers:-)

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I had a little chuckle at the quote before chapter 1. How true!!

chapter 3
(view spoiler)
Looking forward to reading a little more to make more sense of the story. Intruiging start.

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne They're basically just recaps on what I think is happening in the chapters, so when there are the inevitable twists, I can go back and laugh at how wrong I was.

Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Chapter 5

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Joanne wrote: "They're basically just recaps on what I think is happening in the chapters, so when there are the inevitable twists, I can go back and laugh at how wrong I was.

."

That's a different way to do it. I use the spoilers to talk about what happened, how I felt, to get answers to questions, etc basically to spark interaction.

message 36: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Chapter 6

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Laura wrote: "That's a different way to do it. I use the spoilers to talk about what happened, how I felt, to get answers to questions, etc basically to spark interaction.
"

Normally I wouldn't do it this way, but I find with thrillers, the more I can pay attention to and remember specific details and what things are hinted at vs specifically stated, the better I can figure out what is going on.

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Chapter 7

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Joanne wrote: "Laura wrote: "That's a different way to do it. I use the spoilers to talk about what happened, how I felt, to get answers to questions, etc basically to spark interaction.
"

Normally I wouldn't d..."

Then how do you get points for buddy reading if you are just recapping chapters and not discussing and interacting?

message 40: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1967 comments Just started this one. I am a bit hooked. Has anyone else read The Last Mrs. Parrish?

message 41: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Chapter 8

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Laura wrote: "Then how do you get points for buddy reading if you are just recapping chapters and not discussing and interacting? "

Um, ok, well I thought I was making comments with my thoughts and opinions of things that are happening. It's a bit hard to start a discussion when people aren't here yet to go back and forth. If my comments aren't good enough I can just go read on my own then and not worry about buddy read points.

message 43: by Laura (last edited May 17, 2018 07:56PM) (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Joanne wrote: "Laura wrote: "Then how do you get points for buddy reading if you are just recapping chapters and not discussing and interacting? "

Um, ok, well I thought I was making comments with my thoughts an..."

That is of course entirely up to you especially as I was right behind you ready and waiting to discuss and interact.

message 44: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1967 comments Chapters 1-10

(view spoiler)

I can comfortably say without a spoiler, I am as hooked as I hoped for a new suspense novel.

message 45: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1946 comments Put this on hold and am number 4

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Kate S wrote: "Just started this one. I am a bit hooked. Has anyone else read The Last Mrs. Parrish?"

I haven't read that one. Are you thinking it has a similiar feel or recommending us a good read?

message 47: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1967 comments Laura wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Just started this one. I am a bit hooked. Has anyone else read The Last Mrs. Parrish?"

I haven't read that one. Are you thinking it has a similiar feel or recommendi..."

There is a definite parallel. The uncomfortable relationship between a "perfect couple", an extra woman, manipulation, etc.

I can't recommend it as a good read, there were far too many non-feminist moments. I am not sorry I read it, but I do understand the big objections against it. If you don't need to like your characters and prefer to just be amused by things you will hopefully never need to confront, it's a pretty fast read.

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Chapters 4-6
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Kate S wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kate S wrote: "Just started this one. I am a bit hooked. Has anyone else read The Last Mrs. Parrish?"

I haven't read that one. Are you thinking it has a similiar feel..."

Hmm, well there are so many good books I'll leave that one alone since you didn't give it a glowing report and hope this one fairs out better despite the parallels.

message 50: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 1967 comments Laura wrote: "Chapters 4-6

(view spoiler)

Through chapter 11

(view spoiler)

« previous 1 3