Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Wanted: Beta reader with experience in substance abuse treatment (willing to swap)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.A. (new)

T.A. (tahernandez) I'm getting my new adult dystopian/thriller manuscript ready to send to beta readers and I would LOVE to find someone who has experience with opiate addiction or working with people with opiate addiction to talk to and possibly read over some chapters to check for accuracy. The specific parts I might ask you to read would be about 30k words, but if you can't or don't want to do that, I can just give you a general synopsis of what happens and the things I have concerns about.

I can do a swap, too, if there's something of similar length you'd like feedback on.

message 2: by Sissy (new)

Sissy Pantelis (sissypantelis) | 4 comments T.A. wrote: "I'm getting my new adult dystopian/thriller manuscript ready to send to beta readers and I would LOVE to find someone who has experience with opiate addiction or working with people with opiate add..."

Apologies for asking this here, but I have trouble opening a post and start a new discussion. I wanted to know how to find beta readers; I also need to ask some other things. Could someone please help me by explaining in detail what I have to do? I will have a book published in the summer, but this site is difficult to use and there is nobody to explain what to do.
In exchange for your kindness, I could maybe help you for your question about opiate addiction. I have medical knowledge and I could give you some info. I am currently working on a novel, but I could check your questions and the synopsis and see how much I could help you about the opiate addiction.
Thank you so much about your kindness, please let me know how you wish me to contact you to help you with your questions and if someone could help me, I would be grateful.
Many thanks.

message 3: by T.A. (new)

T.A. (tahernandez) Sissy wrote: "T.A. wrote: "I'm getting my new adult dystopian/thriller manuscript ready to send to beta readers and I would LOVE to find someone who has experience with opiate addiction or working with people wi..."
Hi Sissy. Goodreads can definitely be a little overwhelming at first, so it's understandable that you find it a little difficult to use. You'll get used to it though. I'd be happy for your help. I can send you my questions through a message on here, so if you could just get back to me that way, I'd appreciate it.

To answer some of your other questions, you can find a beta reader in this group by posting a new discussion with the genre and length of your manuscript in the subject line and a little more information about the book or what you are looking for in a beta reader in the post itself. You can also look in the section for beta readers offering their services and try to find someone that way. Many of them offer paid services, but some are free. I've had the most luck when I've offered to swap manuscripts with people in my genre or a related genre. The pinned discussions at the top of each discussion topic can give you more detailed information about what a beta reader is, what they do, how to ask for one, etc. Generally what I've done in the past when I found beta readers here was give them my email address, they give me theirs, and I send them the first few chapters to get a feel for their critique style and so they can get an idea of my writing style so we can figure out if we're a good match. After that, I'll send them the rest of my manuscript. I try to get an idea from them of how long it's going to take them to get through the manuscript. When they've finished reading, I might have a list of questions specific to the story that I want them to answer--parts I'm especially concerned about, characters I want to make sure they understood correctly, etc.

If you want to start a new topic, click on the "new topic" button at the top right side of the list of discussion topics. It's a little hard to find because the text is so small, but it's there.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

message 4: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Rayne | 199 comments Mod
Also, as a moderator, please feel free to ask us (or myself) and we can totally walk you through the process of posting or where to post. I promise I don't bite and I volunteer my time to help so please reach out. It's what we are here for :)

Also, as a side comment, I do have quite a bit of experience in working with individuals dealing with addiction so if you (or anyone) has questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

-Dakota