The Help The Help discussion

The Help

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary I just finished reading The Help and it was absolutely fantastic, it really opened my eyes about the worries and situations the help can get themselves into. I love how they show multiple perspectives, so you can really get a feel for how all of the characters feel during every event they come across. They show Minny and Aibileen's perspective of being a African American maid and they show Miss Skeeter's perspective of a white lady who is different and believes that African Americans should be our friends not our servants. I would recommend this book simply to anyone who likes to read, I don't think you have to like certain books to love this one. Typically I wouldn't read this type of book, about historical fiction, but yet I loved it. The author did a great job explaining all of the perspectives of characters and the details of historical events. It really paints a picture in your head.

message 2: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex Mary wrote: "I just finished reading The Help and it was absolutely fantastic, it really opened my eyes about the worries and situations the help can get themselves into. I love how they show multiple perspecti..."

I've recently read The Help too, and I enjoyed it. If you like that sort of thing, with dual perspectives and minority perspectives, the other books I'd recommend you checking out are:
Wide Sargasso Sea (Jane Eyre prequel from the perspective of Rochester's first wife)
Small Island, Andrea Levy

Christy Whiteker I reat The Help like two years ago and it is my favourite book ever. I LOVED it so much and cried so hard at the end. It is definitely a 3 star or up book. I gave it 5 but if I could give it 10 I would.