Play Book Tag discussion

Because I Am Furniture
This topic is about Because I Am Furniture
May 2018: Family Drama > Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2327 comments Anke is the youngest of 3 children and has just begun her freshman year in high school. When she was little she adored her handsome professor father who played with his children and read to them. Now that they are teenagers, sister Yaicha and brother Darren receive all of Dad's attention and Anke feels ignored. Unfortunately, that loving father has changed over the years and attention he shows to his two oldest children leaves bruises and secret sessions in bedrooms. Anke knows that she is lucky to be spared what her siblings are dealing with but she finds that she envies the attention they get even while she dreads it.

Anke makes the school volleyball team and she thrives in the competitive arena. Once quiet and shy, she learns to have a voice and opinions. Attention from a handsome boy helps to booster her self-esteem. At home she continues to feel like a stick of furniture that everyone ignores. When Anke notices that a friend of hers has become quite infatuated with Anke's father she knows she must speak up before it is too late for her friend and her own family.

This was a difficult story because of the abuse and Anke's feelings of despair. It is wonderful to see her character blossom into a self-possessed young woman. The novel itself is interestingly unique in that it is written in free verse which flows nicely. This is a great debut young adult novel.

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Yikes, sounds like it definitely fits the tag. Very interesting title!

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I'm with JoLene. Title drew me in. Story is Yikes. Interesting perspective though. Not sure I want to read this now.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6400 comments Distressing subject, but it sounds like a thought-provoking book.