Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ceelee's April Reads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments After having a wonderful time in New York City end of March/early April (which didn't feel much like spring at all there!) it was great to come home to some terrific reads! Funny, the only books I finished were Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends books, except for LILLIAN BOXFISH TAKES A WALK by Kathleen Rooney. I really loved it! After just being in NYC it really made it even more fun! I also love that the book is based on a real person who really was the highest paid female advertising writer in America who worked for Macy's in the 1930s. I found out she also wrote poetry and advice books for women! I would love to get a hold of some of those!
I really liked THE TAKE by Christopher Reich. THE POLICEMAN'S DAUGHTER was also a great read but my favorite was FORCE OF NATURE by Jane Harper, who is NOT my French teacher in college! Oh well....and yes, I looked it up! :)
I am almost finished with YOU, ME, EVERYTHING. It is so good. Really funny, sweet and sad. Great spring/summer read. I have lots of ARCs to get done this month (four!) so I will be doing those as well as try to get some of the others like SLEEPING BEAUTIES done! :) I have about 200 pages left. I also decided not to read ELIZABETH I by Margaret George as I am saving it for the summer or next fall. It is over 600 pages and I am afraid I won't finish it in time especially with the 1200 total of pages of three classic books I am reading for the 50 point task in Seasonal Reading Challenge. So i switched to CHILDREN OF HENRY VIII by Allison Weir. It is only 361 pages so I should finish it by next week. My first book in the 50 points classic books is for the 18th century, "A Book With A Name In It' and in the 1700s there were HUNDREDS! I chose AMELIA by Henry Fielding. and found it a little slow at first, mainly due to the 18th century language but I got to like the book a lot better once I got more into the fl;ow of the book. I also got back into reading JANE STEELE by Lyndsay Fay in April and am enjoying it a lot!
Hope everyone has a Merry month of May with plenty of great reads and spring weather especially those of you still having winter storms!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Ceelee: how nice you were able to spend time in NYC! I've got Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walkon my library hold list. I agree the last few group read books have been really good.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Ceelee, great month! I am just starting The Policeman's Daughter and looking forward to The Take.