Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Long and Short of It (The Chronicles of St Mary's anthology)
This topic is about The Long and Short of It
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > St. Mary's Shortstories

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments A megathread to post your thoughts on the shortstories :)
Please use spoiler taggs and lable them with the number of the shortstory you're reading.

Book #0.5 The Very First Damned Thing
Book #2.5 When a Child is Born
Book #3.5 Roman Holiday
Book #4.5 Christmas Present
Book #6.5 Ships and Stings and Wedding Rings
Book #7.5 The Great St Mary's Day Out
Book #7.6 My Name is Markham
Book #7.7 Desiccated Water
Book #8.1 Markham and the Anal Probing
Book #8.5 A Perfect Storm
Book #8.6 Christmas Past
Book #9.5 The Battersea Barricades

message 2: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Finished The Very First Damned Thing :) I read some reviews afterwards saying that it's best to read it after Book 4 or 5 because you could appreaciate the characters way more... This might be true, but I really liked it nevertheless. (view spoiler) I wouldn't say it's a must-read or that it was breathtaking, but it made me smile and I had a good time reading, so I gave it 3.5 stars rounded up to 4 :)

message 3: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 17974 comments Mod
From what I remember, the answer is yes, eventually....

message 4: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments So When a Child is Born and Roman Holiday starting 7/3

message 5: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments Or 2.5 and 3.5...😂

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I forgot about this tracker. I'll try to read the first 3 short stories next week.

message 7: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments Bought the book of short stories...will start tomorrow assuming life cooperates.

message 8: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Finished both stories :)

I gave When a Child is Born 3,5 Stars. I liked it, it was a cute little story but it could have been a little longer.

I liked Roman Holiday better and gave it 4 Stars. (view spoiler)

I really like the humor of these books and I love the Authors note in front of every short story :)

message 9: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments My bad I got caught up in finishing Oathbringer, I will read these tomorrow!

message 10: by Anni (last edited Jul 04, 2018 02:09PM) (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments No Problem :) I, on the other hand, made almost no progress with Oathbringer...

message 11: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments I am in part five finishing tonight...great reread, enjoying it better than the first time.

message 12: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments That's promising, looking forward to read your thoughts there. I only started the series this year.

message 13: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments When a Child is Born was pretty rough around the edges, not much to it other than the allusion to the gifts of the magi. I would say three stars. I would. Be curious to know if Jodi used these short stories to fill in the logic gaps created from her novels...lol

message 14: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments I agree with you, the second story was much better. Also, I guess I never realized that I like Markham!
The author’s note ahead of each story makes it feel like a friend is talking to you-very nice touch. Thank God the Max/Leon melodrama was non existent!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Caught up with the short stories. I agree Roman Holiday was better than When a Child is Born.

message 16: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel | 1536 comments Cute and cuddly lil vignettes.

message 17: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Finished #4.5 :) I really liked this one and gabe it 4.5 stars, it was just what I needed! (view spoiler)

message 18: by Timelord Iain, Tech Support (new)

Timelord Iain | 17974 comments Mod
I'm really looking forward to making it to My Name is Markham, this time around... his blurb does away with that "contemporary time nonsense" and calls it time travel :D

message 19: by Anni (new) - added it

Anni | 5048 comments Sounds great, that's also the one I'm most looking forward to :D

message 20: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Aug 17, 2018 08:20AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Finished #4.5 :) I really liked this one and gabe it 4.5 stars, it was just what I needed! [spoilers removed]"

I think this was my favorite short story so far. It was short, it was historical, it had no unnecessary drama, and it related to the main story as a whole.