Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
This topic is about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Archive (Buddy Reads) > Ezi & Chiara's Ongoing Buddy Read (The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo ~ May 2018)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ezi (last edited May 08, 2018 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid
BLURB:
Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now?

Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband, David, has left her, and her career has stagnated. Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn’s Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn’s life unfolds through the decades—revealing a ruthless ambition, an unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love—Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn’s story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique’s own in tragic and irreversible ways.

message 2: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Checking in

Chiara | 726 comments Wow Taylor Jenkins Reid books are quite expensive! Like it was for One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid , the paperback is almost less expensive than the ebook!! The ebook for this one is 14 dollars!
Let me know when you wanna start reading it, so I can arrange my reading schedule and purchase it! :)

message 4: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Wow Taylor Jenkins Reid books are quite expensive! Like it was for One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid, the paperback is almost less expensive than the ebook!! The ebook for this one is 14 dollars!..."

You don’t use your local library? That’s where I borrowed my copy

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Wow Taylor Jenkins Reid books are quite expensive! Like it was for One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid, the paperback is almost less expensive than the ebook!! The ebook for this one..."

Unfortunately I don’t have a local library cause I live in a small town! And I usually read books in English so it would be very difficult to find them here!
I got my copy so just let me know when we start!

message 6: by Ezi (last edited May 11, 2018 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I will start tomorrow. My cousin is graduating from university inn Sunday and we are packing up her apartment. She is going to go to medical school.
So today has been busy

Thank you for trying this book with me. If I nominate a book you don’t already own please let me know. I’m sure we can find some that we both own so we aren’t spending too much money feeding our reading beasts 😂

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I will start tomorrow. My cousin is graduating from university inn Sunday and we are packing up her apartment. She is going to go to medical school.
So today has been busy

Thank you for trying thi..."

Wow, congrats to your cousin!! 🎉🎉🎉
Don’t worry I’m used to spending money on books! And I wanted to read this book ‘cause I’ve heard so much about it!
I’m gonna start reading it in the afternoon!

Chiara | 726 comments Hey!Sorry but I have been quite busy for the last few days, so I had to postpone our book! I’ve managed to read just the first couple of chapters.
I’ve read so many good reviews and now I have high expectations!!
Did you already start reading it?

message 9: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Hey!Sorry but I have been quite busy for the last few days, so I had to postpone our book! I’ve managed to read just the first couple of chapters.
I’ve read so many good reviews and now I have hig..."

Hi my reading homey!! Life has been cray cray.

I’ll be starting the book today. It’s due back to the library in two days 😘

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Hey!Sorry but I have been quite busy for the last few days, so I had to postpone our book! I’ve managed to read just the first couple of chapters.
I’ve read so many good reviews and..."

Hey Ezi! Don’t worry..I’ve been quite busy in the last few days as well, so I didn’t have much time to read! I’m still on husband number 2..so far it’s a fascinating story!

message 11: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I’m only 10 minutes in and it reminds me of the Titanic movie. Where the grandma is telling her granddaughter the story of how she fell in love and her life in general.

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I’m only 10 minutes in and it reminds me of the Titanic movie. Where the grandma is telling her granddaughter the story of how she fell in love and her life in general."

I think there is a reason why Evelyn Hugo has chosen a Monique to write her biography..I think they might be someway related

message 13: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I like how intentional Evelyn is about her words. The way she words her sentences and why she uses specific wording...I’m intrigued by her.

You are right...why did she chose Monique? Let’s try and figure it out

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I like how intentional Evelyn is about her words. The way she words her sentences and why she uses specific wording...I’m intrigued by her.

You are right...why did she chose Monique? Let’s try and..."

Evelyn is a very smart woman..she knew what she wanted since she was very young and she worked to achieve it..she’s very pragmatic

message 15: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I like how intentional Evelyn is about her words. The way she words her sentences and why she uses specific wording...I’m intrigued by her.

You are right...why did she chose Moni..."

She is very confident as you said. She wields her power and control very effectively. It's a skill that takes most women well into their 40s and 50s to realize their own worth and demand it.

I am curious to see why 7 husbands when she has already said Sam was a great friend, but not a love of my life kind of husband

message 16: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I am also curious to see how Monique will break this news to her boss. That she isn't bringing them a story. Instead, she is about to write a career changing book! And for a lot of money

message 17: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara,
Since you have the book, do you mind giving the quote about Charisma? I loved it!

message 18: by Chiara (last edited May 17, 2018 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "I like how intentional Evelyn is about her words. The way she words her sentences and why she uses specific wording...I’m intrigued by her.

You are right...why did..."

You’ll soon see why in the beginning she said that Harry was her greatest friend but not the love of her life!
I’m starting to have a feeling about who the love of her life might be..and I don’t think it’s one of the 7 husbands

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I am also curious to see how Monique will break this news to her boss. That she isn't bringing them a story. Instead, she is about to write a career changing book! And for a lot of money"

Yes, sooner or later Monique will have to come clean with her boss...it’s gonna take courage!

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara,
Since you have the book, do you mind giving the quote about Charisma? I loved it!"

I just searched the word charisma and found it on Chapter 3:

“As I grab my bag, Evelyn takes the coffee out of my hand, carrying it for me. I once read that charisma is “charm that inspires devotion.” And I can’t help but think of that now, when she’s holding my coffee for me. The combination of such a powerful woman and such a small and humble gesture is enchanting, to be sure.“

Is it this one you were looking for?

Chiara | 726 comments
My suspicious were right about who the love of her life was.. (view spoiler)

Chiara | 726 comments I’m on husband number four...this woman’s life has been a rollercoaster..

Chiara | 726 comments Just finished husband number 4..I still don’t know what to think about Evelyn...at the end of this part Monique says something interesting..
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "
My suspicious were right about who the love of her life was.. [spoilers removed]"

Me too. I suspected Celia st. James and Evelyn would have an affair since her husband Don is an abusive bastard who married her for status. But I think she wanted to be loved

message 25: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara,
Since you have the book, do you mind giving the quote about Charisma? I loved it!"

I just searched the word charisma and found it on Chapter 3:

“As I grab my bag, Evelyn..."

Yes!!!!!
Thank you

message 26: by Chiara (last edited May 18, 2018 03:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments I’m almost at the end of the book (chapter 65) and I just found out the reason why Evelyn said to Monique that she would probably hate her at the end of the story (which is also the reason why she chose Monique to write her biography) and OMG...I didn’t see this one coming at all..

message 27: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "I’m almost at the end of the book (chapter 65) and I just found out the reason why Evelyn said to Monique that she would probably hate her at the end of the story and OMG...I didn’t see this one co..."

I’m just at the part where Evelyn wants to divorce Don. So I’m way behind you. Are you enjoying the book though?

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "I’m almost at the end of the book (chapter 65) and I just found out the reason why Evelyn said to Monique that she would probably hate her at the end of the story and OMG...I didn’t ..."

Yes..it took me a few days to feeling involved in this story.I was busy plus I didn’t feel much like reading, but yesterday something just clicked and since then I have been reading almost non stop to finish it..

Chiara | 726 comments Are you liking it so far?

message 30: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Harry Cameron left Sunset? What’s the real story?

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Harry Cameron left Sunset? What’s the real story?"

I think he was tired of that environment..of the fast that they fired Evelyn and he couldn’t do much about it.

Chiara | 726 comments I just finished..I need a minute to gather my thoughts (and to dry my eyes!)

message 33: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Evelyn Hugo will have Mick’s kid...Monique?

JoAnne | 1066 comments I read this last month (I think) - loved it!!!

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Evelyn Hugo will have Mick’s kid...Monique?"

Nope..not even close!

message 36: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments A trip to Mexico 🇲🇽 to fix her issue😔 and after 3yrs together, Celia didn’t speak to her for Five years, wow!!
That’s sad

Chiara | 726 comments JoAnne wrote: "I read this last month (I think) - loved it!!!"

It’s an amazing story that tells the life of a very complex and unique woman

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "A trip to Mexico 🇲🇽 to fix her issue😔 and after 3yrs together, Celia didn’t speak to her for Five years, wow!!
That’s sad"

Yes it’s very sad..Evelyn wasn’t an easy woman.,but I think Celia had her flaws as well

message 39: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Chiara wrote: "Are you liking it so far?"

I’m fully drawn in. Right now she married Harry Rex and they are fully aware that it’s a marriage for box office attention. I’m amazed at what Hollywood people do behind the scenes.
I wonder if any of them have self esteem and self worth because the need for popularity and fame and money superceds their own happiness.

Celia is now going to try to marry a football player? I wasn’t expecting that

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Chiara wrote: "Are you liking it so far?"

I’m fully drawn in. Right now she married Harry Rex and they are fully aware that it’s a marriage for box office attention. I’m amazed at what Hollywood p..."

These stories always amaze me..the reality of Hollywood is very different from what we think it is.
People are willing to do almost anything for their popularity..sometimes I wonder if real love truly exists in that environment or if it’s all just a facade

message 41: by Chiara (last edited May 18, 2018 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments And yes..Celia is gonna marry a football player
You've almost reached my favorite part of the story..which is Evelyn's life with Harry..(and I think it was probably the past of her life in which she was more happy and fulfilled)

message 42: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments I can’t believe all that stuff Evelyn has been through all happened before age 26. That is drama worth a whole lifetime.

Ev and Harry have been married for 7years!! It seems the foursome works for them. Now they want a baby. How does Monique fit in? I’m dying.

BTW, i think what Celia said about Evelyn never winning an Oscar and being only a pair of tits. I don’t think I could forget those words.

message 43: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Baby Girl Connor is here to the 37yr old Evelyn. Celia is off shooting movies. I’m glad the baby is loved

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "I can’t believe all that stuff Evelyn has been through all happened before age 26. That is drama worth a whole lifetime.

Ev and Harry have been married for 7years!! It seems the foursome works fo..."

Yes I think the foursome was the perfect arrangement for everyone...
What Celia said to Evelyn was hurtful..that’s why I said she had quite a few flaws as well.
Evelyn didn’t live one life but many different lives..it’s such an intriguing story!
I loved Harry so much...he was always such a great friend to Evelyn..and now they’re gonna have a child together

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Baby Girl Connor is here to the 37yr old Evelyn. Celia is off shooting movies. I’m glad the baby is loved"

Harry was a fantastic dad..and Evelyn loved her daughter very much as well..too bad good things always come to an end, sooner or later

message 46: by Ezi (last edited May 18, 2018 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments JoAnne wrote: "I read this last month (I think) - loved it!!!"

JoAnne, I’m riveted as I feel like I’m seeing Hollywood actors in a different way

message 47: by Ezi (last edited May 18, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments 15 yrs later, Don the wife beater is back. I’m glad Ruby left him but I wouldn’t want to be in a movie with him

“Forgiveness is different from Absolution”. That’s awesome.

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "15 yrs later, Don the wife beater is back. I’m glad Ruby left him but I wouldn’t want to be in a movie with him

“Forgiveness is different from Absolution”. That’s awesome."

I agree..this book has some great and inspiring quotes and teachings..

message 49: by Ezi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ezi Chinny (ezinwanyi) | 2657 comments Honestly,
I don’t understand why Celia left Evelyn. She’s an actress and it’s just a scene. It’s ridiculous. I don’t get it. Over a guy who was an ex that beat Celia

message 50: by Chiara (last edited May 18, 2018 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chiara | 726 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: "Honestly,
I don’t understand why Celia left Evelyn. She’s an actress and it’s just a scene. It’s ridiculous. I don’t get it. Over a guy who was an ex that beat Celia"

I had the same reaction..At that point they had been together for years..their relationship was hidden but solid! It seemed to me it was an excuse to leave her. The sex scene reason was trivial..She knew it was something fake and not real sex. Celia left Evelyn and, even if Evelyn tried to call Celia and went looking for her, she didn’t forgive her. Saying that Celia overreacted is an understatement.

And I didn’t like the fact that Celia once again started bringing up old things..like the fact that Evelyn slept with the rock star or even the fact that he had sex with Harry to have Connor.
I mean..Celia was ok with Harry and Evelyn having a child but then when she got pissed for the sex scene in the movie, she complained about it. I don’t like people that during a fight bring back old things..it’s unfair.
I think that Celia basically hated the thought of Evelyn with any man. I don’t think at that point of the story you’re reading, she accepted her being bisexual. She was a lesbian and didn’t accept that Evelyn wasn’t

« previous 1