Wiccans/Witches/pagans/eclectics discussion

Book Chat > Wicca A Guide For The Solitary Practitioner

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Edward (new)

Edward | 1 comments Who has read it and if so what did you think about it?

message 2: by Myrrdin (new)

Myrrdin Greyoak While I agree that Cunninghan may be a little on the fluffy side this is still an excellent book for those just beginning to learn about Wicca.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments I'm still new to Wicca, what do you mean by fluffy?

message 4: by Myrrdin (new)

Myrrdin Greyoak Fluffies as I grew to know them are those who believe all is goodness and light and either don't want to or are unable to acknowledge the darker side of the Craft (no I'm not talking about black magic) and the Goddess and God. THey also tend to be those who read one or two books and think that makes them witches.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments Thank you for the explanation. I believe there is balance in all things, so I tend to not do a lot of magic for that reason. I don't WANT to do anything dark or bring harm to anyone including myself. So I tend to read a lot, but do little on the magic side right now. It's hard being solitary and having no one to learn from. In everything throughout my life I learn better by watching and then doing. Trying to read and learn alone makes it more difficult I think. Does that make sense? I hope so.

message 6: by Myrrdin (new)

Myrrdin Greyoak Brian wrote: "If you study anything of nature, you'll see that there is a cycle of dark and light, life and death, etc. Reading just "fluffy" books is like standing in a Hermetically sealed room looking at flowe..."

Very true even in the light there are shadows

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments I agree that there is light and dark, I just don't want to do something by accident or from a place of ignorance that causes harm to either myself or others.
And Brian, I definitely know what I'm wanting protection from - I just don't know the best way to go about it.

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments Brian wrote: "Julie wrote: "I agree that there is light and dark, I just don't want to do something by accident or from a place of ignorance that causes harm to either myself or others. "

Very wise. Magic can a..."

Brian, Thank you for your reply. Even though I am new to Wicca I am not a teenager - I have 5 children of my own. In four years my youngest will graduate and then the major changes will occur - and yes I am afraid of the unknown even though I dream of it every single day.
I don't know how to explain this, and frankly most people do not want to hear it, so I will just say that I appreciate your comments and will do my best to find an appropriate spell to take care of my issues.
Thanks again.

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 5 comments Brian wrote: "My mistake. I mixed you up with Julia, from another thread. Some of what you said sounded like what abused teenagers suffer and I assumed. It's difficult to advise specifics without knowing the sit..."

Thank you again Brian.

message 10: by Heather (last edited Oct 18, 2015 04:20AM) (new)

Heather | 2 comments I always advocate that Scott Cunningham be anyone's introduction into Wicca. Although I do not believe he should be the last. My reasoning for this book being the first is because he is very respectful of the fact that everyone is different and will walk a different path. Many of the other authors including the most reputable or popular often state their way when educating and do not discuss the existence of alternatives. Although I do not believe it is their intention to tell others what to do, it is more a side effect. I have ran across this problem in covens as well. That all eclectic witches do it this way. When that is kind of an oxymoron. Eclectic witches draw from everything so you will never find two exactly alike.

I want newcomers to understand that all of us are different and they can do things as they feel is right for them. I don't want them reading a book and thinking that any other way is wrong when they come across another person or book. That is how I think people getting told they are not real, happens. Instead of accepting that they are just in a different stage on a different path. Once they have read Scott Cunningham they can go on from there.

Scott Cunningham is the only author I have found so far that does his best to remind the reader all of the way through the book, this is the basics, do it your own way.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy Bradley (fractaldragon) | 2 comments I like your comment, Heather, I've been sort of reading bits and pieces now and then of Scott Cunningham. I'm always adverse to anyone who says they have the "right" or "proper" way of learning or practicing something. That's why I consider myself an eclectic pagan. I picked up the Scott Cunningham books, including the Solitary book at the recommendations of a couple of my Wiccan friends.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 2 comments Amy wrote: "I like your comment, Heather, I've been sort of reading bits and pieces now and then of Scott Cunningham. I'm always adverse to anyone who says they have the "right" or "proper" way of learning or ..."

Thank You!

message 13: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen I just finished this one and found it to be very helpful and informative