Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

HELP! > Webpage facelift- suggestions welcome! :)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (last edited May 08, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
I am working on updating my website. There are a few small changes I would like to make, but I am still working on how to do them. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has. :) Thanks!

www.talkingtalesbooks.com

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4639 comments Mod
I would put kids on it- like blurry images of kids playing.

message 3: by Erica (new)

Thanks, Carole! I use my own pictures so I will see what I can come up with. :)

message 4: by Erica (new)

I am trying to use a more kid-like font too, but for some reason it goes crazy on Internet Explorer.

message 5: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Erica wrote: "I am trying to use a more kid-like font too, but for some reason it goes crazy on Internet Explorer."

Fonts on web pages are tricky. If you specify a font to use when rendering text, it will only work for users who have that font installed on their machines. This is because fonts are local to the client operating system.

The HTML document or style sheet can specify one or more fonts for a piece of text, and the browser will then use the first one in the list that the client actually has.

I hope that makes sense...

message 6: by Erica (new)

That makes perfect sense. So if I pick a font that tends to be standard with most computers it should work on most machines/devices?

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Erica wrote: "That makes perfect sense. So if I pick a font that tends to be standard with most computers it should work on most machines/devices?"

Correct. There is a standard set of fonts considered safe for web page use. There is a list here, along with a detailed explanation, which you can read or not depending on how much you want to get into it. The list is the main thing.

message 8: by Erica (new)

Thanks so much, Dale! I appreciate your help. :) I plan to work on it some more this weekend.

message 9: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Erica wrote: "Thanks so much, Dale! I appreciate your help. :) I plan to work on it some more this weekend."

You're quite welcome!

message 10: by M.F. (new)

M.F. Hopkins | 12 comments You all are way more advanced than I. I'd like to create an author page/site (whatever you call it), and I have no clue on how to begin.

*Am I to understand that I get/create a domain name? If so, where do I go?
* Layout? I have an idea on how I want things to look, but again - not a clue as to what I'm suppose to do.
Any info and fingers pointing me in the right direction(s) will help! Thanks!

message 11: by Erica (new)

I wanted my own domain name. I purchased an available name through Bluehost (there are other domain name and hosting companies out there, but that is who I used). I then had to purchase hosting services for my website. I used Bluehost again for this. Both these have recurring fees. After it was up and running, I used WordPress to pick a template and customize it. There are TONS of YouTube instructional videos for this.

You can create a free blog site that can be used as an author webpage through WordPress.com but there are more limitations and your domain name is not fully customizable. It is a great option though if you want to save some money. There are also great tutorials for this option on YouTube. :)

message 12: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments M.F. wrote: "You all are way more advanced than I. I'd like to create an author page/site (whatever you call it), and I have no clue on how to begin.

*Am I to understand that I get/create a domain name? If so..."

I've used a Canadian company called 123ehost for almost 20 years now. I went with them because they were inexpensive and stayed with them because they have very good customer support. Many hosting companies (mine included) have software and templates that can be used to build a site, plus they often sell site-building services. I second using Wordpress. It's about the easiest to learn and use, and for non-techies ease of use is a necessity (not a plus, a necessity). Being a software developer, I can get into some of the more techincal stuff without too much trouble, but even I appreciate simplicity, because developers aren't system administrators.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen Eisenbrey | 18 comments I recommend looking at other authors' sites to get a sense of the kind of layout and information you like. Think about how easy it is to navigate and how intuitive to find what you're looking for. Draw it on paper so you know what kind of menus you want, where things should appear, what things should be called ...

I initially purchased a domain from register.com, sat on it for almost a year, then finally built a free Wordpress site. I found it easy to use and maintain. Their tech support has been excellent.

At first I used domain mapping, so people could enter my domain name and it would redirect to the Worpress site. I recently upgraded to a paid Wordpress site and transferred my domain registry to them so I could get rid of the domain mapping and have a more professional looking URL. Everything I'd already built stayed the same. I've been using my site for a little over 2 years and I still like it.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread