Play Book Tag discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
May 2018: Family Drama > Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 390 comments 5/5 I absolutely love this book! Someone suggested it for this month's theme and I thought the title sounded interesting to I picked it at random and I'm so glad I did. Eleanor's life is dull and repetitive. She doesn't understand normal social interactions and, largely, keeps herself to herself. This all changes when Eleanor, reluctantly at first, performs an act of kindness for a stranger and is then, somehow, drawn into further associations with people she wasn't expecting or ready for. From the start the reader is given clues to Eleanor's history which gradually pull you along until the whole sad story of Eleanor's childhood is revealed.

Without spoilers, there is a moment of crisis in the second half of the book and from that point on I couldn't stop reading until I reached the end. This book is alternately funny and kind of sad, easy to read and left me wanting more.

With regard to family drama, we don't know the full story of Eleanor's family until nearly the end of the book but we have little glimpses of other families and Eleanor's reactions to them. Plus, Mummy is an ever-present character - but you'll have to read it to find out more about that!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7873 comments I also loved this book! One of my favorites from last year. And, it is being made into a movie! Reese Witherspoon bought the rights and her production company, Hello Sunshine, is producing with rumors that Reese will star.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments Maybe the movie will be better than the book.... I gave the book 4.5 half stars myself, but I found it didn’t sit right with me clinically. Thankfully, another PBT-ER felt spot on the same way for the exact reason. Maybe that aspect would flush itself out in the movie.

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole | 447 comments I’m just as intrigued about your comments Amy, as I am with the book. I haven’t read it, so maybe this is involves spoilers, but what didn’t sit well?

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments I think the thing that got in my way, Susie’s too, is that the book did such a great job capturing a very specific diagnostic profile. Like you knew exactly what you were looking at to a T. But then in the middle of the book, it became clear that they were using those same characteristics to talk about an entirely different clinical profile. And the switch felt abrupt and untrue and on characteristic to me. Sometimes that’s the twist in a book that you think you’re looking at one thing and it turns out to be another. But as a clinician, this did not feel right to me. And so in my mind I was unsettled. But then I just went with it for the story. I hope that helps.

message 6: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole | 447 comments That absolutely makes sense. Do you think it would be noticeable to people who don’t have similar medical experience as you? I’m wondering if it was done on purpose or due to a lack of understanding on the author’s part.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments No, I think everyone else other than the two of us just absolutely love the book and had zero problem with this. I have heard other clinicians have the same complaint about this book, but I only hear raves. People talk endlessly about how much they love this book. So I think in general it’s not the kind of thing that other people are going to have a problem with. I still rated it high. It’s just that I was uncomfortable with the portrayal and it’s abrupt shift.

message 8: by annapi (last edited May 08, 2018 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5208 comments I loved this book too, and am curious about those characteristics and the differing profiles you mention. Would it be too much of a spoiler for you to explain in detail? Perhaps hide it the way you do a spoiler alert?

Susie I agree with Amy. We’re just sticklers!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments You know me, no spoilers. Let it unfold as it does. Happy to private message after you’ve read it.

annapi | 5208 comments Would you PM me, Amy? I really am curious about what it got clinically wrong.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments I will! I will try to do it today... but if somehow I get lost, please come find me. I’ve been a little underwater. Can’t even finish an under 200 page book!

annapi | 5208 comments Amy wrote: "I will! I will try to do it today... but if somehow I get lost, please come find me. I’ve been a little underwater. Can’t even finish an under 200 page book!"

No rush, I'm sure you have other priorities!

Jason Oliver | 2112 comments Can't wait to read this. Adding to this month's list.

Amy, I'm gonna come looking for you when I finish it.

Anita Pomerantz | 7030 comments Dying to get to this one also!

message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9680 comments Oh you should definitely come look for me.

message 17: by Sue (last edited May 22, 2018 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sue | 1493 comments I'm about 1/2 way through this one. Can't wait see where this goes but it's a little slow for me.