The Pelicans’ Nest discussion

Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trice (last edited May 08, 2018 04:13AM) (new)

Trice | 14 comments Mod
And while I'm here :) I'm wondering if you guys are interested in trying a group read? Or discussing what kinds of books are next up on your reading radar? I have a lot I keep trying to get to, but I'm mostly open to diving into something of shared interest.

message 2: by Desmond (new)

Desmond Silveira (desmondsilveira) | 4 comments Mod
I'm interested, but I'm much more likely to participate when there is an audio version of the book available.

message 3: by Trice (new)

Trice | 14 comments Mod
Desmond wrote: "I'm interested, but I'm much more likely to participate when there is an audio version of the book available."

are you looking at one of the books already on the bookshelves for a read soon, or others?

message 4: by Desmond (new)

Desmond Silveira (desmondsilveira) | 4 comments Mod
No, not yet. I've mostly been adding people to the group. Throw it some ideas and let's pick something as people come to a consensus.

message 5: by Trice (last edited May 12, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Trice | 14 comments Mod
A couple books that have popped up on the facebook groups recently:

Abraham Kuyper Modern Calvinist, Christian Democrat by James D. Bratt Abraham Kuyper: Modern Calvinist, Christian Democrat by James D. Bratt (with a review in Books & Culture)

Not Enough Human Rights in an Unequal World by Samuel Moyn Not Enough: Human Rights in an Unequal World by Samuel Moyn

message 6: by Tai-chi (new)

Tai-chi Kuo | 8 comments Mod
I bought the Kuyper book on Kindle... I'm finishing up a book on China's Mongol Wars right now, I'll be digging into that next plus Amar Patel's new fiction which he wrote under a pen name.

message 7: by Tai-chi (new)

Wanted to follow up on this. I'm done with my Mongol Wars book and have started on the Kuyper book!

message 8: by Trice (new)

Trice | 14 comments Mod
Tai-chi wrote: "Wanted to follow up on this. I'm done with my Mongol Wars book

how was this one? what angle did it take on the material?

and have started on the Kuyper book!"

Is that the Bratt book about Kuyper? That one looks good, though Chuck has also added a bunch of books by Kuyper to the bookshelf that look excellent too

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Adams (ckadams) | 2 comments I would love to work through the Kuyper with Tai-Chi and anyone else interested. I own it, so I will start. Anyone else interested? I am happy to assist in facilitating--perhaps starting by creating a schedule for discussions so that even if we read at different paces we can pace our discussion together.

message 10: by Tai-chi (new)

Yes, it's the Bratt book on Kuyper!

The Mongol Wars book is called "Defending Heaven: China's Mongol Wars" by James Waterson. Notable/interesting as it takes the perspective of China as an ethnic Han 漢 state, and frames the conflict in terms of resistance to Mongol invasion as opposed to the traditional Chinese view that the Mandate of Heaven had passed from Song 宋 to Yuan 元.

message 11: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Adams (ckadams) | 2 comments I'm also interested in the fact that Amar is a published author who writes under a pen name. Can you reveal what book he wrote?

message 12: by Tai-chi (new)

Chuck - would be great to go through the Kuyper book as a group.

Amar's book is a fiction novel called "The Joy of the Lord" by Mark Andrews. I'm not very far into it yet!

http://a.co/49UbA6r

message 13: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments Couldn't find a thread for our January title, so posting here. This thread title seemed the most general. Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that I am having difficulty getting the January title. The only version I could find was a kindle version. I don't have a kindle. I do have the ap on my ipad, but can't figure out how to delete books and I am getting a message saying that I have no more storage, so this title can't download. So, I won't be joining this discussion, unless I can figure out the kindle ap.

message 14: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Hunt (elmarinero) | 58 comments Mod
Bummer. I am also ignorant on such things. I have been having a hard time as I have been offshore so much. The boat wifi is horrible, and it takes a long time for pages to load in order to create it. This app doesn’t allow me to do the admin stuff, I have to use a browser... I may ask the engineer if I can plug my computer into the router later to make one...

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene | 26 comments I hate the GR ap. I refuse to use it. Too limited.