NEW FRENCH FICTION IN TRANSLATION : My French Life™ BOOK CLUB discussion

The End of Eddy
This topic is about The End of Eddy
The End of Eddy > A NOVEL OR AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Jacqueline (aleajac) | 115 comments Mod
MyFrenchLife™ French Book Club BOOK 2
NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Have you finished reading ?

Fun fact about #TheEndofEddy: according to author Edouard Louis, it is not a novel.
*Do you agree? What else would you like to say about this book ?*

Edouard Louis has just published a new book in France 'Qui a Tué mon Père'. Carolyne Lee has translated the article/interview (photo of article added in 'photos'. (Thank you Carolyne for this precious contribution). If interested MyFrenchLife™ French Book Club will send it to you upon request.

message 2: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Tomi Kent Smith I agree...a novel is a fictitious writing, though it can have some realistic or realism thrown in. A memoir is historical or biography written from personal knowledge. This was Edouard’s story written from his perspective.
Jacqueline Dubois You're right but don't you think that Edouard Louis's tour de force (and probably reason for immediate success) rests upon the fact it still reads like a novel and not like an autobiography?
Tomi Kent Smith I believe Edouard’s skill in writing enhances the memory (memoir) telling of his early life. I never felt that I was reading a novel. Perhaps that is why it is so interesting to have several people discussing the subject; we all came away with individual interpretation of the subject. There is no right or wrong interpretation

message 3: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Carolyne Lee I agree it is in the memoir genre, but at times it felt novelistic and at times more non-fiction/autobiography, depending on how he structured the writing in that particular section.
Jacqueline Dubois So we all agree it's a subject to be discussed and debated ... it even seems Edouard Louis is not certain himself since he first presented it as a novel to admit more recently it was not one. All the same, it is a narrative, which gives a less glamorous image of France, of remote villages where the uneducated and the outcast live below poverty line (and it has nothing to do with marginalized areas and immigration in this case) It's also a brilliantly-written coming-of-age story which became an instant bestseller. His newly published book is far less virulent, in which he blames French society for his father's wasted life. Do you think that changing his name from Eddy Bellegueule to Edouard Louis was the right decision to take?

message 4: by Jacqueline (new) - added it

Terry Cagle It reminds me just a bit of Frank McCourt's book Angela's Ashes, which was supposedly a memoir but which is surely an improved version of reality (and very entertaining).
Jacqueline Dubois. Exactly Terry! except that when Frank McCourt wrote his memoir he had left Ireland for many decades and a whole village and family did not feel outraged by his sordid revelations. + there was a lot of humor and the style was less minimalist (“When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood.”)
Terry Cagle Yes! When I read Angela's Ashes, it didn't occur to me that the writer was spinning a tale. When that finally dawned on me afterwards, it didn't matter at all. Such a different take on a miserable childhood.
Jacqueline DuboisThanks for drawing this parallel Terry, remind me to bring this topic forward on our book club meeting day !