David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Archives (Book of the Month) > August 2014 Book of the Month - Angelfall

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Karen’s Library (last edited Aug 17, 2014 05:34PM) (new)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Angelfall Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee won as our August Book of the Month group pick!

I've read this already - TWICE! But I am reading it again for the 3rd time for this discussion, this time on audio! ;)

Edit: Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who have not read this book yet. :)

You can discuss here! :) ENJOY!!

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Happy to see my nomination win!
Excited to read this with the group, it's 2nd on my waiting list!

Natalie (Never trust a duck) Love it!! Raffe is mine, called it ;)

LOL, Natalie!

message 5: by kynndra-jo (new)

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) Love, loved this book!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Awesome nomination, great book!!

message 7: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
This was a fantastic book :)

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley | 4 comments I loved this book! :)

message 9: by Ashly (new)

Ashly (ashlyh) Loved this book, great characters and fast pace with action.

message 10: by Harlee (new)

Harlee | 1583 comments I was going to reread this book with the group but I don't think I'll have time now. So many books, so little time!

message 11: by Joanna Marie (new)

Joanna Marie (joannacapats) wow, loved this! Willing to reread! :)

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (cgk22) Great book! Can't wait for book 3!

I'm listening to this right now. Although the narrator isn't my favorite, the story is so good, it doesn't matter. It's my 3rd reread. :)

message 14: by Parinita (new)

Parinita | 1 comments Loved this book! I was a little skeptical about it reading the blurb but it proved me wrong. Love the characters and enjoyed the story!

message 15: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awesome, so glad you enjoyed it Parinita!

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (geekymom13) | 50 comments I just got my copy from the library. Now when to squeeze it in this month. lol

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Hall (Babygirl_2424) | 16 comments i would love to read it

message 18: by Karen’s Library (last edited Aug 07, 2014 11:20PM) (new)

Yaayyy! Join in everyone!!!

What are your thoughts?

I'm almost finished. About 90% in. This book is really horrifying in some parts. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) Oh, I've been dying to read this! Sounds like it has some huge fans. :)

Everyone I know who has read it, loves it! :)

message 21: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I can't wait. I may just have to double-dip (read 2 books at once) which I typically don't do, but I must get started on this one!

message 22: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I'm starting this tomorrow!

Can't wait to see what you guys think of it!! Squee!!!

message 24: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

I think you guys will LOVE it :)

message 25: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Page 8!
I don't know why Penryn is running away, maybe I missed something?
And I'm religious, so the idea that angels would throw a helicopter at innocent civilians is hard to grasp.

message 26: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 24 comments Loved this book!! In the beginning I had my doubts, but it turned out better than I expected. Hope you all enjoy it :)

Daniel wrote:
"And I'm religious, so the idea that angels would throw a helicopter at innocent civilians is hard to grasp."

Uh oh, yeah you're going to have to get used to the idea that angels are harming innocent people because that will come up a lot in this book.

message 27: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Cindy wrote: "Loved this book!! In the beginning I had my doubts, but it turned out better than I expected. Hope you all enjoy it :)

Daniel wrote:
"And I'm religious, so the idea that angels would throw a heli..."

Yeah, that'll be a challenge. I'm still on the fence right now, but it's only page 22, so there's lots of time.

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna (donanicole) | 897 comments So I am not religious. At all. So would I like to read about angels when I don't believe in them? Is it like reading about Vampires or zombies which I also know don't exist or ???

message 29: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 24 comments Donna wrote: "So I am not religious. At all. So would I like to read about angels when I don't believe in them? Is it like reading about Vampires or zombies which I also know don't exist or ???"

I'm not religious at all and I don't think it matters. Overall it was an amazing book that happen to have incorporated angels in it. I guess for me I enjoyed the book so much not only of because the great plot and ideas but also how the author presented the story, you know? So yeah I'd say read it anyways! Doesn't matter if you're religious or not.

message 30: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Yeah, I agree, I think the best thing to do is to suspend religious (or lack of religious) beliefs and just enjoy the fiction :)

For you in particular, Donna, I'd exactly treat it like any other paranormal book :)

message 31: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) I agree with David. While I'm not religious, I do love a good angel story, but I view them same as any other paranormal entity, like vamps, imps, fae, whatever. I expect it may be harder to suspend certain beliefs for those folks who are religious, though. And this wouldn't be the first novel where angels hurt humans.

message 32: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I'm having such a hard time getting into this, for whatever reason.

Sorry to hear that, Daniel. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea. It's very gruesome at parts.

And what is it lately about "bad" angels? It's been a recurring theme in the past few angel books or shows I've been seeing.

message 34: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I'm just finding it hard to connect with the characters.
Penryn is driven by the urge to find her sister again, but this doesn't really make me feel much for her, because I don't really know much about her sister.
Also, my image of Raffe is not the same as the author's image of Raffe.
I'm also still having a hard time with the whole "bad angels" thing. It's so counter-intuitive it's hard for me to be able to buy it.
I'll keep trudging on though. Maybe it will get better.

message 35: by Karen’s Library (last edited Aug 15, 2014 09:22PM) (new)

Daniel, it's not that we have a connection to the little sister. It's more of how we get to know Penryn and how connected she is to her sister. It's her entire drive and that becomes apparent the further into the book you go.

Also, I never connected to these angels as the ones we know. For me, I pictured them more as aliens and not the kind gentle angels I grew up hearing about.

Oh, and you like gore, so maybe the book will grow on you as there are some pretty graphic gore scenes. :)

message 36: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I understand that, Karen, but for me to become emotionally invested in Penryn's journey, I have to share some of the motivation to get Paige back. She might want her back, but at this point, I don't feel as attached to Paige as I need to be, nor do I understand enough how much she means to Penryn, to really put all of my support behind her.
Also, I think the angel said something like, "you people don't deserve salvation," or something, which implies that these angels are the same angels mentioned in the Bible, and that this is the apocalypse. If this is the case, it's hard for me to buy it.
Anyway, hopefully I can get more invested in Penryn's journey as time goes on.

message 37: by Daniel (last edited Aug 16, 2014 08:06PM) (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I read a bit more today (up to page 69) and I think it's getting better.
I've finally decided what Raffe looks like, and I'm trying really hard to suspend my disbelief about bad angels and so forth.
Also, the dynamic between Penryn and Raffe is really interesting.

message 38: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments p. 150, and I'm hooked!

message 39: by K. (new)

K. Hello,

I write a blog covering YA apocalyptic and dystopian books. Check out my post about Angelfall - I welcome feedback: http://yadystopiafiction.wordpress.co...

message 40: by Jessie (last edited Aug 17, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Jessie (whitehusky) | 7 comments I didn't like this book, and there were a few reasons for that. (view spoiler)

Daniel wrote: "p. 150, and I'm hooked!"

Yay, Daniel!!! :)

message 42: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Jessie wrote: "I didn't like this book, and there were a few reasons for that. First, I'm having a hard time with the concept of rebel angels. That goes against everything I've grown up being told. But I was able..."

EEP! SPOILERS!

K. wrote: "Hello,

I write a blog covering YA apocalyptic and dystopian books. Check out my post about Angelfall - I welcome feedback: http://yadystopiafiction.wordpress.co..."

Nice review, K.!

message 44: by Karen’s Library (last edited Aug 17, 2014 12:59PM) (new)

Whoops, I didn't specify NO spoilers, Daniel. Sorry.

But Jessie, for those who haven't finished yet, would you mind throwing your spoilers in spoiler tags? My fault. Thanks!

message 45: by Jessie (last edited Aug 17, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Jessie (whitehusky) | 7 comments Karen wrote: "Jessie, for those who haven't finished yet, would you mind throwing your spoilers in spoiler tags? My fault. Thanks!"

I don't know how to do that. :(

Edit: Never mind, figured it out. ^_^

Thank you so much, Jessie!!!

message 47: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Jessie wrote: "I didn't like this book, and there were a few reasons for that. [spoilers removed]"

All of that is fair enough and makes sense :) I just took it as complete fiction and enjoyed the ride!

message 48: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
Me too! ^What David said^

Its been awhile since I've read this one, but I loved it! Does anyone know when the third book will come out? Could be awhile, didn't it take awhile for the second book?

message 49: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Fenwick | 15 comments I read this earlier in the year on the recommendation of a friend. We tend to read the same books and always seem to have the same opinion so when she said that she loved it I just assumed that I would too!! And I did!

Whilst I am very religious I didn't have an issue with the whole fallen angel concept. I take each book that I read as what it is - a work of fiction. For me it's escapism and reading about people who have different ideals/morals/beliefs to my own. I love seeing the imagination of someone come to life on the page as it's something that I'm terrible at!

What I loved most about this was the relationship with Raffe and Penryn - from where it started right up to where it finished at the end of the book. I found it fascinating and a real draw - It's what kept me hooked. I already have the next installment on my Kindle ready to read once I've managed to make my way through the oodles on there vying for my attention!

I think this has actually made me want to read more books like it - I bought a few other 'angel' stories off the back of it. Too many books to read and not enough time!!

message 50: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments Finished today!
Review coming soon!

« previous 1

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Angelfall (other topics)