YW Adelaide discussion

Locations and Dates > May/June book selection

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 14 comments Hey everyone,

It was lovely to meet those who were at the book meet up for A Wrinkle In Time, and I hope to meet more of the group in the future!

I thought I'd take the liberty of putting up some suggestions for possible books, as I'd been mulling over it since Sunday - we discussed going with books of a Horror/Thriller genre.

These are just merely suggestions I'd been considering and by no means no one needs to take them up - I just wanted to get the ball rolling on the discussion. My suggestions are:

Into The Water - Paula Hawkins
A Stranger In The House - Shari Lapena
The Butterfly Garden - Dot Hutchinson
The Ocean At The End Of The Lane - Neil Gaiman

Please feel free to post some suggestions for the next book the group reads if you have any :)

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (animelanie) | 33 comments Mod
Thanks Chantel! I'll just vote when the poll is up & I'll look into a venue (i.e. will check out the Mockingbird Lounge) & update the group =)

message 3: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Marie | 25 comments Thanks Chantel.

I had a look around the horror/ thriller section in Dymocks the other day and found a couple of interesting ones.

The Girl with all the Gifts - M.R. Carey
Never Missing, Never Found - Amanda Panitch

I have no idea if there are good/ bad but their blurbs were interesting.

When do you think we should choose a book by?

message 4: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 25 comments Mod
Hey, all the suggestions look really interesting. I haven't read much horror/thrillers before so my suggestions may be hit or miss. How about anything by Stephen King or Anne Rice? But I'll be happy with whatever the group chooses : ) Again, sorry that I didn't make it to the last meet up.

message 5: by Adele (new)

Adele (Adele_reads) | 33 comments Mod
Haven’t read any of the suggestions so I’m keen for any of them :)

message 6: by Mel (new)

Hi everyone,

It's great there are some suggestions, I was thinking maybe we give it another few days and then create a poll from what we've got and vote on what book to read. We can then finalise when and where for the next catch up =)

So if we have until Saturday the 19th for suggestions, then on Monday either I'll create a poll or someone else can before if they like(?). I'm trying to get 2 assignments done at the moment, so can't do it on the weekend =)

Cheers
Mel

message 7: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 14 comments I like both your suggestions, Kyle. The Girl With All The Gifts sounds particularly interesting.

I haven't read much Stephen King or Anne Rice (part of the never-ending 'to read' list haha) if anyone has any suggestions from those authors that's fine with me. The only Stephen King I have a copy of but haven't read yet is IT.

I'm happy with the poll to go up on Monday. Hope you're not too stressed from uni assignments, Mel :)

message 8: by Mel (new)

Hi gang,

My apologies, I was studied OUT over the weekend, so much so that I totally forgot yesterday in my tired stupor to do the poll. It is up now, and I've set it to end on Friday, given that I only just made it.

Please vote when you can, can't wait to see what we're reading next!

And thanks Chantel, unfortunately I am a bit stressed from uni, but getting there!

Hope everyone has a good week
Mel

message 9: by Mel (new)

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder to vote in the poll before tomorrow night, thanks to those who have voted!

Cheers
Mel

message 10: by Mel (new)

Hi everyone,

Hope the weekend has been good so far for you all - the poll has closed, thanks to everyone who voted. The winning book is
The Girl with all the Gifts - M.R. Carey.

We can decide when and where to meet to discuss the book soon (with another discussion or similar) in the meantime - happy reading!

Cheers
Mel