Play Book Tag discussion

The Nazi Officer's Wife: How One Jewish Woman Survived the Holocaust
This topic is about The Nazi Officer's Wife
Archive: Other Books > The Nazi Officer's Wife ~ 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments This is one Jewish woman's autobiographical account of living in Nazi-occupied territory during WWII and passing herself off as a German, At first she is sent to a couple of labor camps. But when she is allowed to return back home to try to find her mother (who was deported), she is able to obtain a false identity. She eventually ends up marrying a Nazi Officer, with whom she does fall in love with but it also helps protect her from suspicion.

I loved the way this was written. So full of feeling and honesty that at times it made me tear up. She actually was one of the "lucky" ones, if you can call anyone who lived through that hell lucky. Yet still, what she went through was harrowing and heart-breaking and terrifying. I cannot imagine living every day of my life in such constant fear. I cannot believe how many people just turned a blind eye to everything that was going on around them. It makes you stop and wonder what you yourself would do (or turn a blind eye to) in order to survive.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments I reminded of one of the women in The Orphan’s Tale, who experienced a shade of this. Also reminded of City of Women, both excellent books with similar themes. Rachel, two more for your list.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "I reminded of one of the women in The Orphan’s Tale, who experienced a shade of this. Also reminded of City of Women, both excellent books with similar themes. Rachel, two more for your list."

Amy my list continues to grow with all your recommendations! When I get back to Flagstaff and finish All the Light We Cannot See I have The Thirteenth Tale waiting for me at home.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Tessa, great review. I will be adding this to my TBR list. Not only can I not imagine the fear but as with you I can't imagine turning a blind eye. Survival is a complex topic and we must all always wonder what we would.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9390 comments Funny Rachel, I just responded to you on the general feed about these two books - lol. I better keep up my streak for you!