WoTaLong (Wheel of Time Readalong) discussion

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
This topic is about The Fires of Heaven
The Fires of Heaven > May Week 4: 45-56 Spoiler Discussion

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (last edited Jun 02, 2018 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
Remember these are spoilery discussions - so stay away unless you've finished this section! Also, please keep spoilers to the things we know in this section of the book.

What are your thoughts on this section of The Fires of Heaven?

Need a reminder? Here are the chapter summaries.

This finale was crazy with some reveals and major events! I'm sad to lose Moiraine as she has always been one of my favorite characters. Nynaeve capturing Moghedian and being able to help Rand with Rahvin was awesome!

Happy reading!

Scott Flicker | 107 comments Luca’s marriage proposal to Nyneave is hilarious. Also masema and galad starting a war because the both are trying to provide the same ship to carry Nyneave and Elayne is funny as well.

A.R. Hellbender (unicornhunterbooks) | 8 comments Mod
I agree, Luca suddenly turning around and telling Nynaeve he wanted to marry her was so random and out of nowhere, and that did make it pretty hilarious. But at the same time, he's kind of a jerk for being like "well, I'll carry you off anyway and you'll just forget about the other guy", like no, that's not how it works. Haha.

I laughed so hard at Luca's proposal!! He just wanted her to have his babies at first, she's the one who says marriage lol. The moment when Nynaeve realizes the war is all her fault was such a great moment!

Scott Flicker | 107 comments The last quarter of this book had so much happening. mat attacked and almost killed by his girlfriend who turned out to be a dark friend. Yeah he really was sleeping with the enemy. Lanfear and Morianie going through the portal door that gets destroyed. presumably killing them. Rand killing one of the forsaken in the dream world. nynanve was there I think she helped Rand but I’m not sure. Need to go back over that section. Moiraine’s letter to Rand was amazing. And so much more...

I did miss Perrin, Faile and Loial and overall this book was not as good as the previous but the ending did make up for some boring sections in the beginning and middle.

Haha I have known Melindhra was a darkfriend this whole time and was patiently waiting for her reveal muahahah. I'm so sad about moiraine because she's one of my favorite characters! i cried the first time I read this book (i cry easily when reading hehe). Moiraine's letter surprised me when she said she knew who Asmodean was - I didn't realize she knew! I missed Perrin too but I'm sure we'll see him in the next one. :)

message 7: by Donald (new)

Donald Trail | 34 comments Perhaps the most disappointing part of this book was Jordan's decision to not show the battle between Mat and Couladin. That was very likely an epic fight, but we only hear about it second hand. We don't even get a flashback.

This book had a huge amount of character development for Nyneave and Egwene. The argument in Tel'aran'rhiod basically resets their relationship and shows how Egwene has grown into herself. Nyneave begins to control her temper, and treat the people around her with more respect rather than ride roughshod over them as she did as a Wisdom. We see that much of her anger is a front to keep people at an emotional distance. Probably because she was raised by a single father who died when she was very young, and that fear of losing people close is extremely strong in her. The sickness that took her mother when she was an infant and the illness that killed her father are likely the driving forces for her to learn healing. It's also the top reason she connects with Lan, who also lost his family young. They are opposites in dealing with the loss... Nyneave pushes people away with her temper and controlling attitude... essentially using her negative emotions. Lan keeps people at a distance by not being emotional at all... and is very afraid to let people in. I think probably the best couple in the series thus far.

Moraine kills a second Forsaken. She has to sacrifice herself to do it because of Rand's misguided chivalry. I really think that Jordan is trying to show the reader that Rand's type of thinking has costs. One thing that I find interesting is that Jordan fought in Vietnam, which was a losing endeavor for his side. In Vietnamese culture when war comes women fight too. Being raised in a culture like the Southern US, where a large chunk of your role as a man is viewed as a protector of women... I believe he did a lot of thinking about this during the war. Today I think a lot of soldiers still struggle with asymmetric warfare and being put in a position to kill women or children.

The capture of Moghedien is really a great moment. The Forsaken are from a time period much more advanced and seem arrogant about the state of the world they have awakened in. Moghedien refers to the channelers of this age as children. However, she doesn't realize what the invention of the A'Dam means. She comes from a time when compulsion was the preferred method of controlling someone. This arrogance costs her dearly in the end.

Last point... Who killed Asmodean?