WoTaLong (Wheel of Time Readalong) discussion

The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
This topic is about The Fires of Heaven
The Fires of Heaven > May Week 1: Ch 1-11 Spoiler Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (last edited May 13, 2018 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
Remember these are spoilery discussions - so stay away unless you've finished this section! Also, please keep spoilers to the things we know in this section of the book.

What are your thoughts on this section of The Fires of Heaven?

Need a reminder? Here are the chapter summaries.

My favorite parts: Chapter 6 with the Darkhound attack has always stuck with me. Balefire is such an interesting weapon and a unique (to me) idea. I also love all the Aiel culture we are exposed to in this section!

Happy reading!

message 2: by Scott (last edited May 08, 2018 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott Flicker | 107 comments So what was Aviendha was lying about. Jordan's romances in the series are so funny.

Mat sleeping with the enemy. What luck..

Elaine and Nynaeve captured again only to be rescued right before they could escape on their own.. This looks like a pattern. And drinking tea with total strangers... Not the best decision..

I love the oath Siuan Sanche made seeming to commit her to eternal damnation if she broke it. Only to break it since the she never said when the promise would be kept. The truth an Aes Sedai says isn't always what you think it is.

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
Haha, yes you would think Nynaeve and Elayne would stop accepting drinks from strangers! Min was SO scandalized that Siuan would make that oath and turn around and break it right away. It's really interesting to see who Siuan and Leane are becoming now that they are no longer Aes Sedai.

SamTheOwl (owl96) As soon as Nynaeve accepted that tea I wanted to scream at her so bad. You would think a wisdom of all people would know better. Tsk tsk!

A.R. Hellbender (unicornhunterbooks) | 8 comments Mod
I know, Nynaeve and Elayne get themselves into the same kind of trouble so often!

message 6: by Donald (new)

Donald Trail | 34 comments MidnightAngel51 wrote: "As soon as Nynaeve accepted that tea I wanted to scream at her so bad. You would think a wisdom of all people would know better. Tsk tsk!"

Reading it... I really didn't see this coming because the lady worked for the Yellow Ajah. For me this scene drove home just how split the tower is at this point in the book.

Also, this book is really setting up character development for Nyneave. She has been near unstoppable in previous books... to the point of taking one of the Forsaken and winning. Yet, here we see her constantly humbled and out of control. I feel like this is going to move us towards a softer less angry Nyneave.

If we consider Nyneave's background a bit, she loved her father a lot and was very close to him because of her mothers death. However, he wanted a boy and tried to make her into one. I believe this is part of the reason she acts so aggressively. Also, I always need to keep in mind that she was orphaned at 14. Her extremely protective nature and anger control issues likely come from the pain of losing her parents so early in life. This is really what forced her to become a wisdom more than anything else.

Throughout the series I feel like Nyneave uses her anger to keep people... particularly men at a distance. I don't think it's a coincidence that both she and Lan became orphans young, and then essentially became married to their jobs.

Anyway... I'm excited to see how her character develops towards the end of this book.