Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Draco Malfoy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,143 (1143 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Michelle (last edited May 29, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments

Starts May 12th, at Midnight (WEST Time) and goes for almost 12 weeks, ending on July 31th (Harry Potter's birthday).

Link to Official Rules. Read them, learn them, love them.

Winner Categories

Team Roster / Link to Shelves
Michelle Hall (Captain): x-tt
Devann: z-18-tower-teams-vi
Natalie: nbrc-tt6
Abbey Hauser: nbrc-challenge
Joanne: hogwarts
Ashlee Marie: tower-team-vi
Karen Michele: hp-tower-teams-vi
Jammin Jenny (Co-Captain): tower-teams-vi-draco-malfoy
Colleen Drum: tower-teams-6
Melissa: 2018-tower-teams

message 7: by Michelle (last edited May 11, 2018 02:28PM) (new)

◈ For reading books
Books between 100 and 160 pages (100 pages or 25,000 words is the minimum) = 5 points
Books between 161 pages and 350 pages = 20 points
Books between 351 and 500 pages = 40 points
Books between 501 and 650 pages = 60 points
Books between 651 and 800 pages = 80 points
Books between 801 and 900 pages = 100 points
Books over 901 pages = 130 points

◈ For current BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
BOTM Folder
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points
NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the BOM starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date) we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write DQs

◈ For NBRC Buddy Reads
Spreadsheet
Participating in a buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 30 points
Participating in a Harry Potter buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 40 points

◈ Classes and Spells
Spell List
We're going to attend classes. That means maybe you'll have to transform cups into mouses, transplant baby mandragoras or brew potions, among other things.

Spells. From the simple Nox and Lumos, to the legendary Wingardium Leviosa, and the more complex Expetrum Pattronum. Since spelling plays such an important part “It's leviOsa, not levioSA!" this will be a spell-it-out challenge. Perfect for using those quiet member books, and ensure that even slower readers can win points for the team.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These will be open for the entire challenge and can be done in no particular order. It will grant extra points for completion BUT it will also give negative points for lack of.
Example: Spelling LUMOS. Each letter is worth 5 points. Completion gives 10 points. Incomplete word, -1 point per missing letter.
(view spoiler)

◈ Quidditch Tournament
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Teams within same house will need to work together to select 7 players for the game. (3 chasers, 1 keeper, 2 beaters and 1 seeker). Each position will have specific rules and tasks to emulate a quidditch game. Is a speed challenge and it needs some planning and talking, and is quite dynamic.

Since we have 4 houses, there will be played 3 matches, that will last for a max of 2 weeks, or till the snitch is caught - whatever happens first.
Rules and points and game dates will have their designated folder. They will be posted soon. Stay Tuned.

◈ Tri-Wizard Tournament
Three daunting quest to be done in order.
Based on the real Tri-Wizard (both book and movie). For each quest each team can chose which champion path to choose, or not, it all depends on the quest at hand. Tournament will start on May 30th, and be open till the end of the challenge.

message 8: by Michelle (last edited May 19, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Quick Reference Links

Books Read Thread - post completions here

Buddy Read Spreadsheet List - 30 points / 40 points for HP reads. Must have a team member from a different team or a non-player to count.

Classes - Class rules are specific for each category. Let's get creative here so we can all read what we want!

Spells - points vary by word and completion. Titles, series names, authors (first or last names), main or secondary characters (first or last names, and also nicknames). You may ignore the indefinite and definite articles (a, an, the, etc.)
Spell Letters by Frequency:
(view spoiler)

Quidditch

Tri-Wizard Tournament - Begins May 30

Children's Books / Middle Grade: 25,000+ words or audio over 3 hours. Use ARbookfind to find word counts.

Cover Colors
How to figure out the color of a book cover:

Go to http://labs.tineye.com/color/

Upload an image of the cover
You will then receive a percentage or each color
*Make sure that EXCLUDE background is unchecked

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Res

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments And we are live! Welcome to the challenge, everyone. : )

Please post a link to your challenge shelf and tell us a little about yourself.

message 12: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments yay! this is my first tower teams so i'm super excited! do we need to comment with the link to the shelf we're using so you can add it up there?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

message 15: by Natalie (new)

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) Here's my shelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

I'm a retired high school librarian living in WA state. I'm excited to get started and happy to be a Draco Slytherin!

message 17: by Michelle (last edited May 08, 2018 02:50PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I’ll get your shelves linked up as soon as I get back to my computer. Really nice to see some familiar faces here!

I’ve captained for several TTs and I’m looking forward to reading with you all. Excited to see what twists and turns happen with the Hogwarts events.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still a student in high schools. This is an amazing challenge.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Got you all linked up so far.

message 20: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Hi everyone! I did fill out my form with Ravenclaw, but for whatever reason I was put here. Oh well. Excited to play this one. I've been reading less since Cutthroat ended when I went crazy with reading, but much as I tried to resist joining this one, in the end I just had to join.

Here is my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne wrote: "Hi everyone! I did fill out my form with Ravenclaw, but for whatever reason I was put here. Oh well. Excited to play this one. I've been reading less since Cutthroat ended when I went crazy with re..."

It might be because of time zones or some of the traits you picked

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Joanne, we are glad to have you! I’m a closet Ravenclaw too. Shhhh, don’t tell.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Michelle wrote: "Joanne, we are glad to have you! I’m a closet Ravenclaw too. Shhhh, don’t tell."

My father will hear about this!

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Slytherpuff wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Joanne, we are glad to have you! I’m a closet Ravenclaw too. Shhhh, don’t tell."

My father will hear about this!"

🤣🤣🤣

message 25: by Tati (new)

Tati | 1173 comments *flies in*

I'm kinda jealous that you already have an open thread to chat. I'm still waiting for my thread to be unlocked...

message 26: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Same haha!

Thanks for inviting us to come chat with you in the meantime ;)

Do any of you happen to be in the Our Shared Shelf group on here?

message 27: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyhauser) | 210 comments Thanks for getting our group set up and organized! This is also my first team challenge, but am very much looking forward to it! I'm from Minnesota, USA (just learned another Draco teammate is from MN too, small world!) and recently graduated from college with a degree in Kinesiology (exercise science). I'm working currently before heading back for my masters and potentially PhD in the coming years. :) My book interests vary wildly, and I'm always trying to get into new genres. Recently started working on more fantasy/sci-fi genre and am loving all the options I was overlooking previously without this genre!

Here's a link to my shelf:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Christina wrote: "Same haha!

Thanks for inviting us to come chat with you in the meantime ;)

Do any of you happen to be in the Our Shared Shelf group on here?"

I am not - that isn't one I have heard of, but I'll check it out.

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Tati wrote: "*flies in*

I'm kinda jealous that you already have an open thread to chat. I'm still waiting for my thread to be unlocked..."

You can hang with us, Tati!

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Abbey wrote: "Thanks for getting our group set up and organized! This is also my first team challenge, but am very much looking forward to it! I'm from Minnesota, USA (just learned another Draco teammate is from..."

Welcome, Abbey! I read just about anything. My least common genre is probably contemporary romance / new adult. But I'll read anything for a challenge.

My favorite genres are mystery, historical fiction of all kinds - mystery, romance, anything with a historical time period—and probably fantasy if I had to pick a third.

What are everyone else's favorite genres? Knowing this might help us on some of the upcoming fun events.

message 31: by Joanne (new)

Joanne I love so many genres.

Romance, YA, historical, science fiction, fantasy, non-fiction, contemporary

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I love non-fiction too, Joanne. So many interesting things to learn out there!

message 33: by Devann (last edited May 08, 2018 08:20PM) (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments urban fantasy / magical realism is probably like 2/3rds of what i read but there is some sci-fi / high fantasy mixed in there as well [although i'm so picky about it lol] and then some horror and the occasional mystery or historical fiction [although again, i'm so picky with those]. i don't read much non-fiction and i hardly ever read contemporary / romance unless it's lgbtia [i literally don't even have romance shelf bc i feel it would be redundant since all the books would also be on my lgbtia shelf lol] but of course there are exceptions to every rule.

message 34: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7528 comments Mod
Good morning Malfoys! Popping over to say hello from Team Cedric D!

@Devann - we're both reading Children of Blood & Bone right now - you getting on with it any better yet? I'm just over 50%, hoping the story isn't too cliff-hangery, as I'm not loving it enough to want to feel the need to finish the trilogy (I get a bit completionist...) It's definitely suffered from overhype. Ah well, at least I got it from the library so it was free!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I will generally read anything but nonfiction. I’m trying to read more of it. My favorites are probably sci-fi and fantasy

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I think we need a team slogan/quote. One of Draco’s quotes would be awesome

message 37: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) Slytherpuff wrote: "I will generally read anything but nonfiction. I’m trying to read more of it. My favorites are probably sci-fi and fantasy"

I always think I want to read nonfiction, but then I always choose my fiction books first and put off the nonfiction;) I like most genres except romance. I love historical fiction and mystery. I like to mix up my genres and not read too many books in the same genre in a row.

message 38: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) Slytherpuff wrote: "I think we need a team slogan/quote. One of Draco’s quotes would be awesome"

Good idea ---- do you have a favorite?

message 39: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 10460 comments Mod
Hello hello fellow snakes! :-)

I'm popping in briefly from team Severus Snape.

message 40: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments @Cat I am sooooo not liking Children of Blood and Bone. I think my journey with this book is like ...at one point I requested it on NetGalley, didn't get it, decided it probably wasn't gonna be that good anyway, took it off my tbr, saw it as the buddy read, thought 'might as well', and then now I'm here lol. Goes to show that you should always second guess yourself but never third guess ;)

Honestly I've been skimming most of it and I've just been putting off the last bit [I'm around 75%] bc I was waiting for the DQs to go up in the BR thread but if they don't go up today I'm just gonna power through it to get it off my shelf. I guess it's not really a horrible book but besides the African setting it is pretty much just standard cookie-cutter YA fantasy and also you can tell the romance is coming with Zellie and Innan and I'm just like #thanks I hate it lol. I'll probably still give it 2 stars though, like 'A for effort'

message 41: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments also RE: the quote I mean I know it would be the most obvious one ever but I would never stop laughing if our team motto was literally 'wait until our father hears about this!' lol but we should maybe try to find something more ...dignified *g*

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne The hype for that book has been huge. Too bad it doesn't seem to be as liked now that people are reading it.

message 43: by Jammin Jenny (last edited May 09, 2018 06:03AM) (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Hello everyone! So happy to be here with you all. I am also a closet Ravenclaw but am happy to be here with the Slytherins. I think they get bad rap (not saying it's not deserved brawhahaha).

I am a retired contracts/financial manager living near the ocean in Salisbury MD. I love reading and read pretty much anything if it's for a challenge. My favorite genres are mysteries, horror, thriller, and graphic novels (too bad I can't use those for too many challenges LOL).

Here's a link to my shelf: Tower Teams VI Draco Malfoy

Nice to see some familiar names and also nice to meet new friends here on Goodreads!

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I don’t really have an idea for a quote

message 45: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments I just saw on the pre-challenge chat that the spell it out challenges are for the whole team so I guess that kind of makes it harder and easier at the same time. Maybe we should try to start coordinating something?

message 46: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments here are some of my fave quotes

“Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

“Longbottom, if brains were gold, you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

“You'd better hurry up, they'll be waiting for 'the Chosen Captain' — 'The Boy Who Scored'— whatever they call you these days.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

“Training for the ballet, Potter?”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

message 47: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Here's a link to a site with quotes

https://www.hp-lexicon.org/2008/01/25...

message 48: by Devann (new)

Devann (devannm) | 2732 comments haha I do like the first one

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Almost all here! Just waiting on Colleen and Ashlee. I sent them PMs.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Link to the Buddy Reads spreadsheet. A great way to get some points going:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

I'll also post in the top of the thread so you can find it if you need it.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 22 23