Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Gilderoy Lockhart

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,355 (1355 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jul 31, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Team Spreadsheet
◈ For reading books
Books between 100 and 160 pages (100 pages or 25,000 words is the minimum) = 5 points
Books between 161 pages and 350 pages = 20 points
Books between 351 and 500 pages = 40 points
Books between 501 and 650 pages = 60 points
Books between 651 and 800 pages = 80 points
Books between 801 and 900 pages = 100 points
Books over 901 pages = 130 points

◈ For current BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points

NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the BOM starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date)
we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write DQs

◈ For NBRC Buddy Reads
Participating in a buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 30 points
Participating in a Harry Potter buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 40 points

◈ Classes and Spells
See Below

◈ Quidditch Tournament
Teams within same house will need to work together to select 7 players for the game. (3 chasers, 1 keeper, 2 beaters and 1 seeker). Each position will have specific rules and tasks to emulate a quidditch game. Is a speed challenge and it needs some planning and talking, and is quite dynamic.

Since we have 4 houses, there will be played 3 matches, that will last for a max of 2 weeks, or till the snitch is caught - whatever happens first.
Rules and points and game dates will have their designated folder. They will be posted soon. Stay Tuned.

◈ Tri-Wizard Tournament
Three daunting quest to be done in order.
Based on the real Tri-Wizard (both book and movie). For each quest each team can chose which champion path to choose, or not, it all depends on the quest at hand. Tournament will start on May 30th, and be open till the end of the challenge.

Tower Team Rules
Logo Design by FlamingText.com

◈ Those people who want to keep their Profiles Private, must be willing to "Friend"
their Team Captain(s), the NBRC Mod account, or one of the Moderators, to allow
page count verification and to assist you if you are having difficulty with your
bookshelves.

◈ Teams will be similar in size to other Tower Teams or Wheelathon challenges. We haven't decided on the exact number, as we are going by books read, but we are shooting for 10-20 members.

◈ Books must be started after the start date of the challenge to count towards the challenge

◈ Books must be />100 pages. NOTE: This number is lower than our other team challenges!
For page number questions, please check with your captain who can ask in the Captains group for verification.

◈ Audio books are allowed. (For page numbers, use the "default" GR book page numbers. If the "default" is a Large Print version, use the next most popular edition for page numbers)

◈ No graphic novels, cookbooks or poetry. (Sorry.)

◈ Anything with the word" boxed set" in the title on Goodreads can not be used as "one book". They need to be shelved as separate books to count for this challenge.

◈ No children's books less than 25,000 words.ArBookFind is a great site to double check. If in doubt, ask your captain. Another rule of thumb is the audiobook version should be over 3 hours.

◈ Any book in any language will count, as long as it meets the criteria.

◈ "Re-reads" will be allowed, if it has been six months since you have read the book. This includes listening to the audio version, if you've already read the book.

◈ This challenge involves adding a special bookshelf to your personal
GRs bookshelves other than "read." You may choose a preexisting one.

◈ Please wait to be told to which Team you are assigned. It might take awhile; however,
you will be able to count the books you have read from the START date of the challenge.

◈ Once you actually join, please check-in with your team discussion thread by posting the name of your bookshelf.
Remember to add a HYPHEN between words for your bookshelf.

◈ Helpful Tip: Knowing about Sticky Shelves may help you put your assigned
bookshelf near the top of your dropdown box.

◈ With MOBILE DEVICES there have been major problems when trying to
add books. If that is all you have to access the Internet, or you don't know how to Cut & Paste
on it, then this challenge probably is NOT the right fit for you.

◈ Discussion threads will be in the regular NBRC group. (No secret groups allowed this time)

◈ You do NOT have to join the discussion, if you don't want to; communicating
via posting a book is good enough. Nevertheless, Your Team wants to know if you are
still participating. We understand Real Life gets in the way. However, please plan to
"check-in" in some manner at least once every week. If we don't hear from you for two weeks, you may be replaced with another team member

Tri Wizard Tournament Spreadsheet-for strategy
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 7: by Emily (last edited May 17, 2018 09:24AM) (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Main Characters
Harry Potter
Hermoine Granger
Ron Weasley
Lord Voldemort - Tom Riddle
Severus Snape
Draco Mallfoy
Albus Dumbledore
Dobby
Ginny Weasley
Rubeus Hagrid
Luna Lovegood
Hedwig
Neville Longbottom
Minerva McGonnagall
SIrius Black
Remus Lupin
Newt Scamander
Pomona Sprout
Cedric Diggory
Nymphadora Tonks
Filius Fitwick
James Potter
Peter Pettigrew
Bellatrix Lestrange
Cho Chang
Lily Evans Potter
Fleur Delacour
Moaning Myrtle
Gilderoy Lockhart
Viktor Crum
Alastar Moody
Horace Slughorn

May
BOM
Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
and
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi

June
Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence

Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2) by Becky Albertalli

Buddy Reads
Buddy Reads Spreadsheet

message 8: by Emily (last edited May 29, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Quidditch Volunteers

Round 1-Emily

Volunteers-
Apoorov
Melaniejoy

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1013 comments res

message 10: by Melissa (last edited May 17, 2018 09:43AM) (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Some Info:

Books Read
Books Read Thread

Completion:
Book
Date Read
Author
Pages
MC and Secondary characters FN and LN
BOM(make sure you note if you wrote DQ's) or BR and a link to the comments you made
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Classes:

Link To Classes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spells:
Link To Spells

Spells
2 Points per letter
5 Points per completed word
-1 Point per missing letter
(view spoiler)

Obscure Spells
5 Points per letter
10 Points per completed word
-2 Point per missing letter
(view spoiler)

Unforgivable Curses
10 Points per letter
20 Points per completed word
-5 Points per missing letter
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Alison (last edited May 30, 2018 05:05AM) (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Spreadsheets & Other information

Team Ranking

Official Team Spreadsheet

Team Tracking Spreadsheet

Team Shelves:
• Emily (Captain) - shelf
• Alison (Co-Captain) - shelf
• Melissa (Co-Captain) - shelf
• Paula - shelf
• Apoorv - shelf
• Emily - shelf
• Christina - shelf
• Karen - shelf
• Dora - shelf
• Dragana - shelf
• Filipa - shelf
• Rose - shelf
• MelanieJoy - shelf
• Rosina - shelf
• Suzanne - shelf

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Welcome everybody to Team Gilderoy Lockhart.

Lets get everyone checked in and looking forward to this challenge.

Thinking of Gilderoy Lockhart, what was your favorite moment of his?

Mine the pixie incident.

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Hi everyone :)

Looking forward to starting this challenge with you all!

My favorite moments are the Pixie incident and when he removes all of Harry's bones :D

message 14: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Alison/Melissa, do you want to save some spots for yourself, before we all start with the chitter-chatter? :)

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments We are good - thanks tho! :) Chatter away!

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments When you all check in please include a link to your Tower Shelf.

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Hi all, I'm sooo excited about this challenge. Tower teams is always great and I am loving the Harry Potter theme this year.

Lockhart is such a brilliant character, he has so many hilarious moments. My fave moment is probably when he does battle with Snape (but then I love pretty much every scene with him and Snape)

description

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily | 440 comments I love Lockhart at Flourish and Blotts when all the students are buying his books and all the mums are fanning themselves with lust.

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily | 440 comments Also ttvi

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi everyone :)

Looking forward to starting this challenge with you all!

My favorite moments are the Pixie incident and when he removes all of Harry's bones :D"

Forgot about that. That was great.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1013 comments Emily wrote: "I love Lockhart at Flourish and Blotts when all the students are buying his books and all the mums are fanning themselves with lust."

I remember reading that moment and was wondering if I would like his character, thought he was fantastic by the end.

message 22: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments Hello!!
I'm super excited for TT, I participated last year too.

I'm Paula, I'm from Chile, I'm a 27 y-o Chemical Engineer, working in mining.
I love Harry Potter since I was 11, the last book came out when I was 17, so I practically grew up with the characters, Harry Potter is part of my life =)

One of my favorite Gilderoy Lockhart moments is Valentine's Day in book 2, it's just hilarious.

Also, my shelf: tower-teams-vi

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments I'm so excited to start this challenge especially since it is a HP themed one :)

Any one planning on re-reading the series and/or participating in the Buddy Reads?

message 24: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments All these moments are so funny! I remember thinking this guy was crazy but by the end I was laughing so hard every time he was mentioned.

I forgot about the battle with Snape - that was hysterical :D

message 25: by Rose (last edited May 09, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

Rose | 618 comments Mine is the duel. It was very.....satisfying

shelf

message 26: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I'm planning on reading this edition of the Philosopher's Stone for the Buddy read:
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7531 comments Mod
Where's Christina got to? She's been floating around our thread & I wanted to say hi back....

Hi Christina, Hufflepuff in exile! Katie & I will totally cover you over there whilst you do us Ravenclaw's proud!

Hi Melissa, too! Are you a Ravenclaw?

I love how we are all dropping into each other's threads, just waiting for the starting gun to fire!

message 28: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments I'm becoming increasingly tempted to re-read Chamber of Secrets so I can relive Lockharts best bits. I listened to it on audio not too long ago and remember laughing out loud in the car.

Has everyone actually read Harry Potter? Do we need to be careful of spoilers?

My TT shelf

message 29: by Dora (new)

Dora | 98 comments Hello everyone!

My shelf: tt6

I missed on 7th HP book because it was constantly checked-out at my local library once it came out, so in the end I lost interest/hope to ever read it. My friend managed to lend a book from an aquaintance for a couple of weeks, so she gave me all the spoilers :D
And movies 7 & 8 were awesome, even if i missed out that last book :)

Pottermania was pretty strong back in my teenage years XD

message 30: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Hi Dora,

You're all making me feel old, I was pretty late in getting to HP and binge read most of them when I was in my 20's. I do remember queuing for the midnight release of the final book and then trying to read as fast as possible before someone spoiled it for me.

message 31: by Apoorv (new)

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Howdy, my fellow book crazies!
I am Apoorv, originally from India, and currently living in the Greater Boston Area in the United States. I am an absolute fan of this challenge and have been part of every Tower Teams except the very first one. So, I cannot wait for all of us to have fun for the next few months and try and win this thing (yes, after all this is a competition :P).

This will be my first challenge in a long time when I am not the captain or the co-captain, so I hope it would be stress-free sailing for me! :P Having said that, with Emily, Alison, and Melissa at the helm, I am sure we are all in safe hands. :)

Also, for a nice change, this is a very new team for me. I don't think I've played on the same team with the majority of you (with the exception of Rose, Rosina, and Dragana I believe). So, I'm even more excited! :=)

CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT! CAN'T WAIT!

Challenge - NBRC - TT6

message 32: by Emily (new)

Emily | 440 comments Goodnight my (Lock)harts!!

I’m going to bed to try to think of what book to read first!

message 33: by Paula (last edited May 09, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments Emily wrote: "Goodnight my (Lock)harts!!

I’m going to bed to try to think of what book to read first!"

Where are you from?
Here in Chile is just 17:17 haha (GMT - 3 time zone)

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Cat wrote: "Where's Christina got to? She's been floating around our thread & I wanted to say hi back....

Hi Christina, Hufflepuff in exile! Katie & I will totally cover you over there whilst you do us Ravenc..."

Hey Cat!!! I am a Ravenclaw - how's things in the Hufflepuff house?

message 35: by Cat (last edited May 09, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Hey! I'm a Ravenclaw in my heart & by the Pottermore quiz thingy, but am settling into Hufflepuff - what's not to love about a house that prizes loyalty, fairness, truth & general inclusiveness?!

Looking forward to the start, but we're all scratching our heads over what to read first....

How are your plans for reading going? Any recent recs to share?
I've been full on raving about the NK Jemisin Broken Earth trilogy to anyone who'll standstill long enough! Brilliant diverse dystopia exploring, amongst other things, parental bonds, injustice & fellowship. Which makes it sound worthy... It's a brilliant set of books, well-written, cleverly written & with so much heart.

message 36: by Filipa (new)

Filipa | 324 comments Hi, nice to meet everyone. :)

My shelf: tower-teams-vi

message 37: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 60 comments Hello, everyone! My favorite Gilderoy Lockhart moments was the pixie incident!

My Shelf: tower-teams-2018

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments I just captained Uno (team ended up tied for 3rd - not bad if I do say so myself ;) ) so I'm excited to help as a co-captain this time LOL

I'm from the US near Philadelphia, PA. Its just after 5pm here and I'm about to head home from work - FINALLY! :)

message 39: by Melissa (last edited May 09, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Cat wrote: "Hey! I'm a Ravenclaw in my heart & by the Pottermore quiz thingy, but am settling into Hufflepuff - what's not to love about a house that prizes loyalty, fairness, truth & general inclusiveness?!

..."

@ Cat Ah - tough to be forced away from your fellow house mates. I'm sure you're being well taken care of there! I've recently read All the Missing Girls which was really really good. If you like mysteries you should check it out. I've also found Huntley Fitzpatrick and read 2 of her books so far. YA, semi romance but quick and interesting.

Are you planning on re-reading the HP series for this?

message 40: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 2641 comments Think this is a fairly new team for me too, I've been on the same team as a few of you before (great to see you again) but I'm looking forward to getting to know those I haven't met (and no doubt getting lots of new book recommendations).

I get the feeling we have a mix of nationalities and time zones. I'm in the UK, up in wet and windy Scotland, where it's currently about quarter past 10 at night (so close to bedtime for me too).

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Yea, I think we're spread out around the globe. I was on a team like that before and it was interesting. There would be burst of convos while I was sleeping and I had to quickly catch up and then other times it would be busy while I was on. Guess it depends on whose one at the time.

I've been on a challenge with a couple of the team before but most are new teammates to me as well.

message 42: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1703 comments Hi everyone ...

My shelf: ttvi

so far I have signed up for one buddy read.... Sarum The Novel of England by Edward Rutherfurd

message 43: by Cat (new)

oooh... I dunno about a reread. I'd have to double check when I read the illustrated eds (first three books, beautiful things) to see whether I'm OK to read them.
Plus I'm not sure about the buddy read process - I'm not sure it's a good fit for me, how fast I read. I can get away with BOMs by waiting till the end or doing the first Qs, and it being one book in a month with constraints, but several.... I'm on the fence right now

You?

message 44: by Cat (new)

oh: All the Missing Girls - I've seen a couple of people recommending it, and it sounds good (not as melodramtic sudsy as Girl on the Train, is it?) so I'll put it up the TBR!

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments What's everyones favorite genre and do you have a rec from that genre we should check out?

One of my favs is historical fiction: The Time Between Loved this book!

I'm really excited for On Folly Beach which i just got from the library and am itching to start reading.

message 46: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Cat wrote: "oooh... I dunno about a reread. I'd have to double check when I read the illustrated eds (first three books, beautiful things) to see whether I'm OK to read them.
Plus I'm not sure about the buddy..."

I think they are pretty lenient on the BR for this challenge. As long as you participate during the challenge. If that's the case then I plan on re-reading them. It's been a while since I have and I never re-read the last few books anyway so this is the perfect chance for me to.

message 47: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 3007 comments Cat wrote: "oh: All the Missing Girls - I've seen a couple of people recommending it, and it sounds good (not as melodramtic sudsy as Girl on the Train, is it?) so I'll put it up the TBR!"

Nope - quicker paced too! Let me know what you think if you do read it.

message 48: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 1027 comments I love historical fiction, but my favorite is Fantasy.
I always recommend The Neverending Story by Michael Ende it's a beautiful book

message 49: by Christina (last edited May 09, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments Cat wrote: "Where's Christina got to? She's been floating around our thread & I wanted to say hi back....

Hi Christina, Hufflepuff in exile! Katie & I will totally cover you over there whilst you do us Ravenc..."

yes yes hi, I'm here!

finally our team thread is open, and all of a sudden I'm MIA ha! work's gotten in my way, and a sore elbow. fun times. so I apologize if there are spme typos or random punctuation since I'm currently typing one-handed in bed x)

so anyway, hello, my name is Christina, I'm 27 years old and I live in Austria (GMT+1). I work as a waitress in my family's restaurant and it's getting quite busy now that summer is getting closer and closer, therefore I'm sure I won't be reading as much as I'd like to, but I'll still throw some finished books at you here and there :) (not literally throw of course because WHO WOULD THROW BOOKS OMG they need tender loving care!!)

just like Paula I grew up with the Harry Potter series/characters. I remember watching a live stream online from the red carpet of the Deathly Hallows 2 premiere in London, and I had tears running down my face. "this is the actual end of my childhood", I kept mumbling and sobbing, even though that was in 2011 and I was already 20 years old back then. I'm even getting emotional now tbh...
about the houses - I always thought I was a Ravenclaw until pottermore put me into Hufflepuff. at first I was devasted, but after reading up on Tonks' house it all became clear to me - I am a Hufflepuff! but I do still have quite a few Ravenclaw qualities ;) and I hope y'all are still okay with me being here. I promise I'll make you proud :)

to end this massive introduction of mine (sorry), this is my first tower teams challenge, but I participated in the uno challenge 3 times already, also as co-captain, so know how most things work I guess. shelf

message 50: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrissy__) | 1861 comments oh and my favourite Lockhart moment was when...

(is there anyone on our team who hasn't read /seen Chamber of Secrets yet???)

-----------------------SPOILER-----------------------

... his Memory Charm backfired and he ended up losing his memory - "AMAZING! This is just like magic." :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 27 28