Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Pomona Sprout

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,525 (1525 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 25, 2018 10:48PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
 photo 62D7C485-3F9B-4183-8108-CB307BA89FB4_zpsfboji6qn.jpeg

Trinia G (Captain)
Sophie (Co-Captain)
Suzanne (Co-Captain)
Leslie Campbell
Diane
Stacey Crudden
Victoria
Megan
~❤Minnie❤~
Ellen
Anita
Ingrid

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Trinia (last edited May 08, 2018 03:41PM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments

When: Starts May 12th, at Midnight (WEST Time) and goes for almost 12 weeks, ending on July 31th (Harry Potter's birthday).

Challenge requirements
To be a part of this challenge you need to be able to:

description Create a special shelf for the challenge for the books you are reading

description Check-in on your team's discussion thread at least once per week

description Have fun!

message 7: by Trinia (last edited May 11, 2018 11:07AM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments

◈ For reading books
Books between 100 and 160 pages (100 pages or 25,000 words is the minimum) = 5 points
Books between 161 pages and 350 pages = 20 points
Books between 351 and 500 pages = 40 points
Books between 501 and 650 pages = 60 points
Books between 651 and 800 pages = 80 points
Books between 801 and 900 pages = 100 points
Books over 901 pages = 130 points

◈ For current BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points
NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the BOM starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date) we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write DQs

◈ For NBRC Buddy Reads
Participating in a buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 30 points
Participating in a Harry Potter buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 40 points

◈ Classes and Spells
See Below

◈ Quidditch Tournament
Teams within same house will need to work together to select 7 players for the game. (3 chasers, 1 keeper, 2 beaters and 1 seeker). Each position will have specific rules and tasks to emulate a quidditch game. Is a speed challenge and it needs some planning and talking, and is quite dynamic.

Since we have 4 houses, there will be played 3 matches, that will last for a max of 2 weeks, or till the snitch is caught - whatever happens first.
Rules and points and game dates will have their designated folder. They will be posted soon. Stay Tuned.

◈ Tri-Wizard Tournament
Three daunting quest to be done in order.
Based on the real Tri-Wizard (both book and movie). For each quest each team can chose which champion path to choose, or not, it all depends on the quest at hand. Tournament will start on May 30th, and be open till the end of the challenge.

TT Rules Link

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Trinia (last edited May 26, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments description Book of the Month
~May
Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi - Children of Blood and Bone
Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly-Lilac Girls

~June
Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2) by Becky Albertalli~ Leah on the Offbeat ~Stars June 2nd
Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor #1) by Mark Lawrence~Red Sister ~Starts June 16th

description Buddy Reads

message 9: by Trinia (last edited May 11, 2018 11:13AM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments description CLASSES & SPELLS Spells Info LINK

THREE CLASS LEVELS

description Spells
2 Points per letter
5 Points per completed word
-1 Point per missing letter

Accio
Alohomora
Confundo
Expecto Patronum
Expelliarmus
Lumos
Nox
Obliviate
Petrificus Totalus
Priori Incantatem
Protego
Riddikulus
Stupefy
Wingardium Leviosa

description Obscure Spells
5 Points per letter
10 Points per completed word
-2 Point per missing letter

Sectumsempra
Morsmordre

description Unforgivable Curses
10 Points per letter
20 Points per completed word
-5 Points per missing letter

Avada Kedavra
Cruciatus
Imperius

message 10: by Trinia (last edited May 10, 2018 06:26PM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments description QUIDDITCH TOURNAMENT

description TRI-WIZARD TOURNAMENT

message 11: by Sophie, The other one (last edited Jun 02, 2018 12:45AM) (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 3949 comments Mod
• Trinia G (Captain) harry-tower-team-18
• Sophie (Co-Captain) TT HP
• Suzanne (Co-Captain) suzanne-shelf
• Leslie Campbell tower
• Diane ttvi
• Stacey Crudden hp-ttvi
• Victoria tower-teams-vi
• Megan towerteams2018
• ~❤Minnie❤~ nbrc-tower-team-vi
Ellen. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Ingrid https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Anita https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 12: by Sophie, The other one (last edited May 11, 2018 10:32PM) (new)

message 13: by Sophie, The other one (last edited May 13, 2018 10:43PM) (new)

message 14: by Sophie, The other one (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:16AM) (new)

Reserved

message 15: by Sophie, The other one (last edited May 09, 2018 04:19AM) (new)

Hi everyone!

I'm Sophie one of your green-fingered co-captains here in the Hogwarts Greenhouse. Hope you all found your way ok and are ready to get started.

I'm in the UK, an hour outside London. Currently I'm on maternity leave with my 6 month old so I'm available all through our daytime to help and chat.

Books wise I'll read pretty much anything except horror (and ya is risky for me).

To get everyone started: what is your earliest memory of Harry Potter? Mine was a sleep over at a friend's when I was about 9 and they played some of the 2nd book as a audiobook. Had to get the first one pretty quickly after that.

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Hi everyone! So happy to be on a team again with most of you and glad to meet the few on this team I haven't been in a challenge with!

I'm also in the UK, though I'm an American lol. And I do shift work so I'm always checking GR at odd times.

My favorite genre is probably fantasy, though I've been really in the mood for historical-fiction and mystery's lately. And I like YA, sometimes, but have not been in the mood for it at all lately. Which is tough since YA is the current AMMP Fairytale genre, luckily HP re-reads should work for that.

My earliest HP memory was soon after the US release (i think... was about 9ish) and my dad after reading about its success in the UK brought home a new hardback and sat my brother and I down to read it. I impatiently sat through a chapter before asking to go outside to play with a friend.

Maybe a year later (before the book 4 release) we went on a road trip and my dad and brother picked up the audio of Chamber of Secrets and after quickly getting bored of my game boy and discman I reluctantly sat through the entire book, fell in love, and caused my parents endless irritation because I wanted to end our vacation so I could go back and read the other books.

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Sophie wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm Sophie one of your green-fingered co-captains here in the Hogwarts Greenhouse. Hope you all found your way ok and are ready to get started.

I'm in the UK, an hour outside London...."

congrats on the new born!

message 18: by Sophie, The other one (new)

I'm having the same problem over in AMMP. Might give it another go later in the month.

Can just imagine your parents reaction to that!

Thanks, he's v cute and def filling a lot of my time, but manage to get enough sleep and reading done round him.

message 19: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Oh and while I remember can everyone post their shelf please!

message 20: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Hi all! Happy to be in a fun team challenge with great people!

I'm in the US - Texas. When I'm working from home I can check GR often, otherwise only after work.

My favorite genres are romance, UF, paranormal and cozy mystery. I read a decent amount of YA.

As for Harry Potter, I remember hearing all the hype and thinking it couldn't be that good. Then I bought the first book and it was! Although I think I prefer the first 4 books to the later 3.

My shelf is ttvi

message 21: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Congrats on the baby Sophie!

message 22: by Sophie, The other one (new)

You've got good company in Texas - Trinia is there too!

I'm with you on preferring the first 4 books! They felt like more complete individual stories to me I think.

message 23: by Leslie Ann (last edited May 09, 2018 07:51AM) (new)

Leslie Ann | 642 comments Hi Sophie,
Love London. I have a cousin who lives in Cambridge and a dear friend who lives in Teddington.

My earliest memory is similar to yours only in reverse. I had heard about Harry Potter through work, I was a computer tech at one of the schools. I bought the first book and gave it to my youngest daughter. She didn't want to read it, but reluctantly did. She is now the biggest HP fan around , has all the collector books and memorabilia.

Leslie's Shelf tower

message 24: by Sophie, The other one (new)

I studied in Cambridge. It's a gorgeous city and I still miss it!

It's interesting how many people weren't big fans to start with but are now superfans with all the memorabilia etc. My sisters are bigger fans than I am despite not really liking the books to start with

message 25: by Trinia (last edited May 09, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Hey Team! Captain here... Thanks for letting me take on this job, I am so excited to have such awesome co-captains and teammates, this is going to be a blast!

In summary, I live in Texas, SE of Dallas. We are in a rural area and I found books for entertainment. I live with my husband and 3 boys, twins 16 an youngest 15. Our Senior Great Dane (10) and Sheltie (10). I am an Occupational Therapist, but am on a bit of a sabbatical until the boys graduate HS.

Harry Potter came out the month after I got married, moved from NY to TX, got a new job and new home. So needless to say, it took me a while to find Harry. I feel like that series has kept my interest in reading.

For fun I read and run (and play Candy Crush, lol). My next half marathon is in January in Houston.

Trinia's Tower Shelf

message 26: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Hi all! Happy to be in a fun team challenge with great people!

I'm in the US - Texas. When I'm working from home I can check GR often, otherwise only after work.

My favorite genres are romance, ..."

I forget your in Texas too! What part?

message 27: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Victoria wrote: "Hi everyone! So happy to be on a team again with most of you and glad to meet the few on this team I haven't been in a challenge with!

I'm also in the UK, though I'm an American lol. And I do shif..."

Cool! I love hearing about your travels. I came to London last March with my twins for a school trip. I must travel to Europe again!

message 28: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (boydsmom) | 1228 comments Hi everyone! Tower Teams was my gateway challenge a few years ago, so I'm always excited when it starts!

I'm in Raleigh, NC, and work as a PT in a Trauma Center, so I read strictly for fun and recovery time. I have a very spoiled Italian Mastiff, and he and I like to chill on the deck and read during the summer. I will read pretty much anything -- although I will admit that High Fantasy and I do not get along really well. :)

Harry Potter came out when I was just getting started in my working career and pretty fixated on PNR and romance, so I wasn't really aware of it until about the 3rd book and then when there started being big countdowns at Barnes and Noble on release day. I've read them all and am working on the series on audible (which is great!), but while I like them, I was never waiting in line at the store on release day.

Here's my shelf: hp-ttvi

My family and I are planning a big trip next spring to Normandy, Paris and London. I've been to London once, and can't wait to get back again. If you all have any recommendations for non-touristy spots to go -- please share!

message 29: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Trinia wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Hi all! Happy to be in a fun team challenge with great people!

My favor..."

Round Rock which is basically Austin nowadays

message 30: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Trinia wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Hi all! Happy to be in a fun team challenge with great people!

I'm in the US - Texas. When I'm working from home I can check GR often, otherwise only after w..."

Beautiful area! Texas is so big, it's a great place to travel around.

message 31: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Looks like we've got a healthcare core going on! I'm most of the way trained as a GP - 1 year to go... Trauma centre PT must give you a n interesting range of patients.

Wow that was a busy time Trinia, can understand it taking you time to get round to it!

Hi Stacey - TT was for me as well! Think it was tt2 that got me started.

I'll have a think about places to go - there's so much to see! If you like Indian food tayyabs (http://www.tayyabs.co.uk) is fantastic, but a short way out of the centre.

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1607 comments Evening guys! Hello again to Stacey! Nice to meet you all.

I'm also from the UK also an hour(ish) from London. I work in the computing sector. Normally I sneak in an audiobook while I'm at work but it depends on what I have available & how my work load is. Currently I am on holiday from work so I'm going to be using my phone or tablet so apologies for spelling errors.

My first memory of the Harry Potter world, really is my mum I think seeing the book and she was a really avid reader and she is why I read so much. But she saw it in Waterstones and had to have it. My dad had to go back and get another copy for me because we couldn't share, I probably have 2 first editions hanging around because of that. We have 2 of every book because I read super quick whilst she was slow. I think we watched the first film about 5 times in cinema when that came out.

I read really anything, but my go to genres are YA, Fantasy/Sci-fi and romance.

I did post in the pre-chat but in case the Captains missed it as that thread is busy. I get married this Saturday, and am on honeymoon on Monday. We have wifi in the room apparently so I will try and check in and post books but I believe we are due for bad weather so i'm a little concerned all wifi will be down and I won't have mobile data. But I am a pessimist so maybe it'l be fine. To add to the wedding part I will try and check here before Sat but I'm running around and generally busy so I may be MIA until Sunday.

My shelf is Towerteams 2018

message 33: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Hi Megan! I'm in Tunbridge Wells to be a little more specific about my hour from London - which direction out are you?

Audiobook from work is good going! There are certainly times that I've wished that was possible.

Congratulations and thanks for the heads up re wedding and honeymoon - I probably saw the message but didn't pay that much attention, sorry! The last few days are chaotic if your wedding goes anything like mine so I'll understand if you aren't around much/at all! Really hope you have an incredible day and the weather stays like it has been for the last few days for you.

Where are you off to on Monday?

message 34: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Congrats on the wedding Megan!

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Sophie wrote: "I studied in Cambridge. It's a gorgeous city and I still miss it!

It's interesting how many people weren't big fans to start with but are now superfans with all the memorabilia etc. My sisters are..."

I’m actually living about 20 min from Cambridge and, sad to say, have only visited once in the 6 months I’ve been here! And I didn’t even see Cambridge when I went because it was pouring down rain and we just stayed in the pubs the whole time.

@Stacey- I don’t really have any non-touristy recs, since I’m pretty much still a tourist, but whenever people ask me what to do when they visit NYC I say go see a show on Broadway and now I guess if you’re going to London you should see a show on the West End.

The Woman in Black and Agatha Christie’s The Mousetrap are classics and aren’t on stage anywhere but in London (I don’t think) and are both amazing and relatively cheap. I haven’t seen HP and the Cursed Child yet, but it’s playing here; though it might be difficult and expensive to get tickets.

message 36: by Victoria (last edited May 10, 2018 01:40AM) (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments Almost forgot, my shelf is tower-teams-vi

Think I mention this in the other group, but I will be in Germany for about a week beginning Sunday and probably won’t have much time to read or check into GR.

And I plan on participating in all the Adult BOMs for this challenge. My copy of Lilac Girls is going to expire soon, but I’m going to try and read it while in Germany before my library takes it back, hopefully I’ll have time! And next month I might try and write some DQs.

I’m also going to buddy read Sarum: The Novel of England and at least some of the HP books, if not all. I was also thinking of buddy reading the Kate Daniels series, but we shall see.

It should also be noted I’m actually a Ravenclaw, but I suppose I can betray my real house just for this challenge :)

message 37: by Teddie (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments I see so many familiar faces here, I had to pop in to say HI to everyone!

Sophie, congatulations! The last time I was on a team with you, you got married - how time flies :D

message 38: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1607 comments Thank you! I'm hoping for warmish and sunny! Lets cross our fingers for no rain. We're off to the Maldives :-)

We're around bedford so we are north of london :-) actually not far from Cambridge but I have never been really aside from the out skirts.

message 39: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Teddie wrote: "I see so many familiar faces here, I had to pop in to say HI to everyone!

Sophie, congatulations! The last time I was on a team with you, you got married - how time flies :D"

My Buffalo friend!!!! Thanks for coming by... which team are you on?

message 40: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Such exciting stuff going on here in our team :) Congrats Megan! I hope you aren't getting much reading done this weekend ... wink wink!

I'm also planning on reading the BOM's, just got Children of Blood and Bone and may have to dig into Lilac Girls too.
Haven't done a buddy read, but that sounds like fun too!

I'll put a post above to summarize all of those extra goodies.
I need a few minutes today to re-read all of the tid bits.

message 41: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 7524 comments Mod
Good afternoon, fellow Hufflepuffers! Popping over from Cedric D to check out the House mates :)

@Victoria - you aren't the only Ravenclaw wanderer - Katie & I (both in CD) are both Ravenclaw at heart, but are embracing our inner Huffleness. We think we'll call ourselves Ravenpuffs, rather then the slightly fiercer Huffleclaws, and you're welcome to join us!

message 42: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Cat wrote: "Good afternoon, fellow Hufflepuffers! Popping over from Cedric D to check out the House mates :)

@Victoria - you aren't the only Ravenclaw wanderer - Katie & I (both in CD) are both Ravenclaw at h..."

me too! I'm a fellow Ravenclaw... I like the Ravenpuff combo :D

message 43: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 3260 comments Hello from another fellow Huffpuff in Team Cedric. Let's make our house proud of us. :)

message 44: by Teddie (last edited May 10, 2018 06:20AM) (new)

Teddie (teddieg) | 1456 comments Trinia wrote: "My Buffalo friend!!!! Thanks for coming by... which team are you on?"

I'm on Hermione Granger, a true Ravendor (Gryffinclaw?) :)

It would be fun get some people to do a BR in June - anything you or other Sprouts hoping to read for TT?

message 45: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Victoria wrote: "Almost forgot, my shelf is tower-teams-vi

Think I mention this in the other group, but I will be in Germany for about a week beginning Sunday and probably won’t have much time to read or check int..."

It's a gorgeous city to walk round when the weather is good - just be prepared for all the bikes! Had to remind myself to look up every so often and not just rush from place to place while I was there.

I'll take part in any BOM that I've either already got the book for or I can get from the library. I'm trying really hard to not spend money on books at the moment especially while I've got hundreds waiting to be read already.
I'll be doing the Sarum buddy read, pretty sure I've got it on a pile of books upstairs.

message 46: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 2255 comments Teddie wrote: "Trinia wrote: "My Buffalo friend!!!! Thanks for coming by... which team are you on?"

I'm on Hermione Granger, a true Ravendor (Gryffinclaw?) :)

It would be fun get some people to do a BR in June ..."

Yes for a buddy read! I'll look and message you with some choices.

message 47: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Hi Teddie! I love the fact that I can look at a lot of the teams and see old friends! Though with Sonia and Steven over there you'll have to keep an eye on whether they behave - has a tendency to degenerate into a lot of pictures of attractive men!

I haven't got much of a plan yet for buddy reads etc. Want to try to keep the balance that I spend more time reading than on Goodreads which sometimes goes wrong during these challenges.

Megan - Maldives look incredible! Hope you have a fantastic time relaxing after a wonderfully exciting day on Saturday.

I was expecting to be ravenclaw when I took the test on Pottermore, but was surprised to come out Hufflepuff so I'm in the right place! Seem to be a lot of ravenclaws about.

message 48: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1132 comments haha guess I'm a Ravenpuff!

@ Teddie- Glad you stopped by :) I'd love to join in on a BR (if other books and RL don't get in the way). I've never done one before, but it seems like they're a ton I want to do for this challenge!

@Megan - Congrats on the upcoming wedding and enjoy the Maldives ;)

@Sophie- I'm gonna need to make it a priority to visit Cambridge! My friends and I also keep talking about going punting so I need to make it happen!

message 49: by Sophie, The other one (new)

If you go punting and have a full afternoon, I'd punt to granchester rather than through the city centre. The punt tours through the centre are great, but the guides talk a lot of rubbish!

message 50: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Just as a warning to you all, on one of the team challenges I did before the captains and co-captains asked a reading themed question of the day to keep the team chatting. I'm thinking of reviving this as it meant I made a lot of good friends. Obviously there is no pressure to answer these and if everyone gets fed up just say and I'll stop!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 30 31