Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Tower Teams VI > Team Minerva McGonagall

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,036 (2036 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 40 41

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 15, 2018 05:48PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
 photo 4B89C45A-4499-4072-8101-B3CE6BEDBA14_zps8gjb7l00.jpeg

Ashley (Captain)
Jenn (Co-Captain)
Tammie (Co-Captain)
Kate
DeeDee
Zara Secker
Chava
Jan
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
Sreshtha Basu
Karen K
April Turner
Natesha
Shan ~A~
Maddy
Marybeth
Maria
Temi

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 6: by Ashley (last edited May 18, 2018 05:30PM) (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments Bits and Pieces...

Planning Sheet

Current List of Buddy Reads

Current Ranking

Owl Mail

Quidditch

Spells

Colour Extraction
(Make sure you un-check the exclude background colour box)

message 7: by Ashley (last edited May 15, 2018 02:47AM) (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments description

◈For reading books
Books between 100 and 160 pages (100 pages or 25,000 words is the minimum) = 5 points
Books between 161 pages and 350 pages = 20 points
Books between 351 and 500 pages = 40 points
Books between 501 and 650 pages = 60 points
Books between 651 and 800 pages = 80 points
Books between 801 and 900 pages = 100 points
Books over 901 pages = 130 points

◈For current BOM (Book of the Month) discussions
Writing a day's worth of discussion questions = 40 points
Participating in a current BOM (participating in discussion) = 20 points
NOTE: We will accept one team member per book per team for writing a days DQs. If, by three days prior to the BOM starting, we don't have enough volunteers to write all DQs, then we will let more than one team member per team write questions. If we have more people than days sign up (prior to 3 days before start date) we will randomise the volunteers to determine those who can write DQs

◈For NBRC Buddy Reads
Participating in a buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 30 points
Participating in a Harry Potter buddy read with a member from a different team, or with a member of NBRC who isn't on a Tower Team = 40 points

◈Classes and Spells
We're going to attend classes. That means maybe you'll have to transform cups into mouses, transplant baby mandragoras or brew potions, among other things.

Check the team's spreadsheet for final point system

◈Quidditch Tournament
Teams within same house will need to work together to select 7 players for the game. (3 chasers, 1 keeper, 2 beaters and 1 seeker). Each position will have specific rules and tasks to emulate a quidditch game. Is a speed challenge and it needs some planning and talking, and is quite dynamic.

Since we have 4 houses, there will be played 3 matches, that will last for a max of 2 weeks, or till the snitch is caught - whatever happens first.
Rules and points and game dates will have their designated folder. They will be posted soon. Stay Tuned.

◈Tri-Wizard Tournament
Three daunting quest to be done in order.
Based on the real Tri-Wizard (both book and movie). For each quest each team can chose which champion path to choose, or not, it all depends on the quest at hand. Tournament will start on May 30th, and be open till the end of the challenge.

message 8: by Ashley (last edited May 15, 2018 02:46AM) (new)

◈Those people who want to keep their Profiles Private, must be willing to "Friend" their Team Captain(s), the NBRC Mod account, or one of the Moderators, to allow page count verification and to assist you if you are having difficulty with your bookshelves.

◈ Books must be started after the start date of the challenge to count towards the challenge

Books must be />100 pages. NOTE: This number is lower than our other team challenges! For page number questions, please check with your captain who can ask in the Captains group for verification.

◈ Audio books are allowed. (For page numbers, use the "default" GR book page numbers. If the "default" is a Large Print version, use the next most popular edition for page numbers)

No graphic novels, cookbooks or poetry. (Sorry.)

◈ Anything with the word" boxed set" in the title on Goodreads can not be used as "one book". They need to be shelved as separate books to count for this challenge.

No children's books less than 25,000 words. ArBookFind is a great site to double check. If in doubt, ask your captain. Another rule of thumb is the audio book version should be over 3 hours.

◈ Any book in any language will count, as long as it meets the criteria.

"Re-reads" will be allowed, if it has been six months since you have read the book. This includes listening to the audio version, if you've already read the book.

◈ This challenge involves adding a special bookshelf to your personal GRs bookshelves other than "read." You may choose a pre-existing one.

◈ Please wait to be told to which Team you are assigned. It might take awhile; however, you will be able to count the books you have read from the START date of the challenge.

◈ Once you actually join, please check-in with your team discussion thread by posting the name of your bookshelf.
Remember to add a HYPHEN between words for your bookshelf.

◈ Helpful Tip: Knowing about Sticky Shelves may help you put your assigned bookshelf near the top of your drop down box.

◈ With MOBILE DEVICES there have been major problems when trying to add books. If that is all you have to access the Internet, or you don't know how to Cut & Paste on it, then this challenge probably is NOT the right fit for you.

◈ Discussion threads will be in the regular NBRC group. (No secret groups allowed this time)

◈ You do NOT have to join the discussion, if you don't want to; communicating via posting a book is good enough. Nevertheless, Your Team wants to know if you are still participating. We understand Real Life gets in the way. However, please plan to"check-in" in some manner at least once every week. If we don't hear from you for two weeks, you may be replaced with another team member

message 9: by Ashley (last edited May 15, 2018 02:44AM) (new)

SPELLS
From the simple Nox and Lumos, to the legendary Wingardium Leviosa, and the more complex Expetrum Pattronum. Since spelling plays such an important part “It's leviOsa, not levioSA!" this will be a spell-it-out challenge. Perfect for using those quiet member books, and ensure that even slower readers can win points for the team.

RULES
For each letter read books with titles, series names, authors (first or last names) that begin with letters that correspond to the word you choose. You also can use main or secondary characters (first or last names, and also nicknames). You may ignore the indefinite and definite articles (a, an, the, etc.)

For the letters X, Y and V, you can also use translators names and or audion narrator names, providing the edition you are reading allows for it.

Meaning, you'll have to read the translated version to use translator's name or listening to the audio version to use the narrator's name.

IMPORTANT NOTE
These will be open for the entire challenge and can be done in no particular order. It will grant extra points for completion BUT it will also give negative points for lack of.

POINTS & SPELLS
Spells
2 Points per letter
5 Points per completed word
-1 Point per missing letter
Accio
Alohomora
Confundo
Expecto Patronum
Expelliarmus
Lumos
Nox
Obliviate
Petrificus Totalus
Priori Incantatem
Protego
Riddikulus
Stupefy
Wingardium Leviosa

Obscure Spells
5 Points per letter
10 Points per completed word
-2 Point per missing letter
Sectumsempra
Morsmordre

Unforgivable Curses
10 Points per letter
20 Points per completed word
-5 Points per missing letter
Avada Kedavra
Cruciatus
Imperius

EXAMPLES
Example 1: Incomplete Word:
L - Laini Taylor, Strange the Dreamer
U
M - Magic bites, Ilona Andrews
O
S - Stardust, Neil Gaiman

3 letters spelled: 3X2 = 6 points
2 letters missing: 2X (-1) = -2 points

Spell Total: 4 Points

Example 2: Complete Word:
L - Laini Taylor, Strange the Dreamer
U - Unwind, Neal Shusterman
M - Magic bites, Ilona Andrews
O - Oliver, Lauren - Delirium
S - Stardust, Neil Gaiman

5 letters spelled: 5X2 = 10 points
Completion bonus = 5 points

Spell Total: 15 Points

*Note*
We have a sheet with the number of letters etc. that are required

message 10: by Ashley (last edited May 15, 2018 02:47AM) (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments res

message 11: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments Res

message 12: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments Hey Minerva Teamie’s!
Looking forward to a fun challenge!

I know Ashley has a few questions for us all to answe to get to know each other a bit...in the meantime feel free to get started!...just check in again soon...

message 13: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1388 comments Hi all
I am super excited about this challenge. It is my 3rd tower challenge.
I look forward to getting to know you all and have fun

message 14: by Natesha (new)

Natesha Pettigrew | 131 comments Hello everyone! I’m a newbie to this whole group thing. I’m excited to meet everyone and do some fun r aiding challenges :)

message 15: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1842 comments Hi everyone! This is my 2nd Tower challenge. I had such a great time on the last one.

message 16: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 713 comments Hi team!!! I believe this is my 2nd go at this challenge.

message 17: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Hi! this is my first tower challenge, I'm so excited! I'm still trying to get the rules straight but figured there will be a learning curve.

Anyone have their first book planned yet?

message 18: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Hello! On my phone so I’ll be brief. I am Mary and I have five every round of tower teams and captained a team before.

message 19: by Kate (new)

Kate (kcbond) | 567 comments Hi! Also my first challenge but am excited and looking forward to getting to know you all!

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

I hope you're all looking forward to this round of Tower Teams.

Here are today's questions to kick start getting to know each other;

1. Where are you from?
2. Fun fact about you!
3. What was your last Tower Team, or are you a newbie?

message 21: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments Hey everyone!
I’m from the greater St. Louis Missouri area...Love Cardinals baseball
I’m a ‘wanna be a writer’...someday I’ll get up the nerve ;)
I’ve only done TT once...TTV...I believe Mary and I were on that team together....

Looking forward to this...I’ll check in here a few times a day...

message 22: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Hi everyone, I'm Jan!

1. Where are you from? - I'm from Long Island, New York
2. Fun fact about you! - I'm so book obsessed I have a daughter named Harper and a dog named Matilda :)
3. What was your last Tower Team, or are you a newbie? Newbie! Really excited to be a part of it and hoping I understand the rules.

message 23: by Natesha (new)

Natesha Pettigrew | 131 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Jan!

2. Fun fact about you! - I'm so book obsessed I have a daughter named Harper and a dog named Matilda :)
3. What was yo..."

I'm still trying to get the hang of the rules myself!

message 24: by Natesha (new)

Natesha Pettigrew | 131 comments Hi!! Natesha here...

1. Where are you from? | I'm from South Carolina!

2. Fun fact about you! | I LOVE french fries. I cannot live without them. Ha-ha. Another fun fact: I've never read the Harry Potter series 0_o crazy, right?? I'm starting book 1 today!

3. What was your last Tower Team, or are you a newbie? | I'm a newbie. Super excited to join in on the fun.

message 25: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Good morning.

1: Massachusetts.
2: I am avid kayaker
3: I've played every round and even captained a team once, or I think twice actually.

message 26: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Natesha wrote: "JanEyre9 wrote: "Hi everyone, I'm Jan!

2. Fun fact about you! - I'm so book obsessed I have a daughter named Harper and a dog named Matilda ..."

Ok so it's not just me! I figured it'll get clearer as we go and captains can guide us.

message 27: by JanEyre9 (last edited May 10, 2018 06:44AM) (new)

JanEyre9 Natesha wrote: "Hi!! Natesha here...

2. Fun fact about you! | I LOVE french fries. I cannot live without them. Ha-ha. Another fun fact: I've never read the Harry..."

Natesha - if you wait a couple days they're starting a Harry Potter buddy read on the 12th. I think that can count as points for the challenge. I *think*.

message 28: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1388 comments Hi
I live in Melbourne, Australia
I am a mum of 4 kids aged 7, 6, 5 and 3, we were told we would never be able to have kids...how wrong were they huh!
This is my third Tower and I am trying to work out the challenge too

message 29: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments Natesha I’ve not read them either!
I’m going to buddy read them...lots of extra points for that...and I’m sure there will be a lot of that going on since everyone seems to love the series soooo much...I need to catch up!

message 30: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Hi! this is my first tower challenge, I'm so excited! I'm still trying to get the rules straight but figured there will be a learning curve.

Anyone have their first book planned yet?"

My first is Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Does anyone know...is there a difference in the books...philosophers vs sorcerers?

message 31: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Tammie wrote: "JanEyre9 wrote: "Hi! this is my first tower challenge, I'm so excited! I'm still trying to get the rules straight but figured there will be a learning curve.

Anyone have their first book planned ..."

Nice! I'm going to read that soon, I'm waiting for the audio to be ready. I'm #35 on 20 copies, hoping it goes fast! I'm going to have my first book be a 900+ page whopper, A Column of Fire. I loved the first 2 books in the Kingsbridge series.

message 32: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I don't mind rereading the HP books for this if it gets us some extra points. But I don't do the buddy reads or discussions. I'm happy to do the little spell it outs and stuff like that.

message 33: by Natesha (new)

Natesha Pettigrew | 131 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Natesha wrote: "Hi!! Natesha here...

2. Fun fact about you! | I LOVE french fries. I cannot live without them. Ha-ha. Another fun fact: I've neve..."

I will definitely wait then! Thanks for that.

message 34: by Natesha (new)

Natesha Pettigrew | 131 comments Tammie wrote: "Natesha I’ve not read them either!
I’m going to buddy read them...lots of extra points for that...and I’m sure there will be a lot of that going on since everyone seems to love the series soooo mu..."

Omg! I seriously thought I was the only person. Ha-ha!!!

message 35: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments So I just looked at the spells list, for the most party, there are pretty common, easy to find letters. But there are 3 X's. Those can be tricky.

message 37: by Chava (new)

Chava | 1388 comments @Tammy, sorcerer's and philosopher's stone are the same books. One was published in the US, the other in the UK

message 38: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1842 comments Hi, Everyone!

1. Where are you from? I'm from Chicago, Illinois
2. Fun fact about you! In addition to being a Book Addict, I am also a Puzzle Addict.
3. What was your last Tower Team, or are you a newbie? I've been in one TT which was TT IV

message 39: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1842 comments I've never read the Harry Potter series. My DIL keeps telling me to read them since she's read them a few times. Maybe I'll jump in with the BR...

message 40: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "So I just looked at the spells list, for the most party, there are pretty common, easy to find letters. But there are 3 X's. Those can be tricky."

There’s a few common names that start with X that can help book name wise and for author’s:
Xavier
Xander
I just search my kindle shelves and came up with Blind by Xavier Neal...it’s only 144 pgs, but it will work...I need an X for another challenge as well...so I’ll definitely read this at some point...

message 41: by Mary C (last edited May 10, 2018 09:07AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments The Harry Potter books are amazing on the audio books done by Jim Dale.

message 42: by Mary C (last edited May 10, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Darn. Only the ebooks are on Kindle unlimited. I was hoping the audio books would be as well.

message 43: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Here's an X book I'd consider reading from Kindle Unlimited. MC is named Xander.

Whiskey & Roses (Xander King #1) by Bradley Wright

message 44: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Xenophilius Lovegood is a secondary character in some of the Harry Potter books so that can be used for X since it sounds like most of us will be reading the series.

message 45: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Xenophilius Lovegood is a secondary character in some of the Harry Potter books so that can be used for X since it sounds like most of us will be reading the series."

I’ll read those instead! Do you know which book it is...I sort of remember a lovegood from the movie I think...could see dead beings or something like that?

message 46: by JanEyre9 (last edited May 10, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

JanEyre9 That's his daughter, Luna. I think she comes into the story in book, er, 3? 4? The dad, Xenophilius is present in the last 2 books, I can't remember if he's in any of the earlier books or if he's just mentioned by Luna.

message 47: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 3014 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "That's his daughter, Luna. I think she comes into the story in book, er, 3? 4? The dad, Xenophilius is present in the last 2 books, I can't remember if he's in any of the earlier books or if he's j..."

Hmmm...ok...I’ll stick with plan A

message 48: by Kate (new)

Kate (kcbond) | 567 comments Hi everyone!

I'm from Oklahoma City, I have a 5 year old daughter so I'm secretly making her read everything that I did as a child. I'm a newbie to the challenge so I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I had thought that I might read the Book of the Month - Lilac Girls.

message 49: by JanEyre9 (new)

JanEyre9 Kate wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm from Oklahoma City, I have a 5 year old daughter so I'm secretly making her read everything that I did as a child. I'm a newbie to the challenge so I'm glad to know I'm not the on..."

Kate, I have a 5 year old daughter also, she's turning six in a few weeks. She loves books and it's so much fun sharing stories I loved as a kid and discovering new children's books that have recently come out :)

message 50: by Kate (new)

Kate (kcbond) | 567 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Kate wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm from Oklahoma City, I have a 5 year old daughter so I'm secretly making her read everything that I did as a child. I'm a newbie to the challenge so I'm glad to know I..."

It's a great age for books - concrete enough to understand plots and events but still so imaginative and full of questions. Our reading time is probably my favorite time of day (outside of my morning "don't talk to me" I'm reading and drinking coffee time). :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 40 41