SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Planetfall (Planetfall, #1)
This topic is about Planetfall
Group Reads Discussions 2019 > "Planetfall" Discuss Everything *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 164 (164 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Mar 04, 2019 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Join us for a discussion of Planetfall!

Please note that at message 92 this became a group read. There are spoilers without tags from that point onward.

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

(Thanks for the nudge, Anna!!)

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Apr 30, 2019 01:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Go here to discuss books 2-4 in the series!

I'm slightly obsessed with this series. I read Planetfall and After Atlas in January, then listened to the Planetfall audiobook in March, then read Before Mars a week ago, and just finished listening to the After Atlas audiobook. I'm trying my hardest to wait a bit before getting the Before Mars audiobook.

edit: What, have I rated this only four stars?!
edit2: Oh, it takes the rating from my latest read, that's the audio edition. So my rating is actually 4.5 rounded to 5 stars for the book, and 4 stars for the audiobook.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don Dunham Anna, if you're only "slightly obsessed" the right doctor might change the diagnosis to a bout of enthusiasm.

message 5: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 07, 2018 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hah, that's good to know!

I know I said the audiobook changes the tone of the book a bit, with Newman's lovely voice being more suited to non-scifi in my opinion, but there's something absolutely f*king magnificent about the audio, and that's the acknowledgments. Yes, it's also there in all the other editions, but hearing her read it was everything to me, I started bawling before chapter one.

Rachel | 1323 comments So a I’ve read Planetfall and After Atlas already too and will join in. BUT I just got my library hold of Before Mars and I’m excited!

To start I’ll just say I think Planetfall has one of the best depictions of anxiety I’ve read.

message 7: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel wrote: "I think Planetfall has one of the best depictions of anxiety I’ve read."

Yes! And that's why I love it so much.

Rachel | 1323 comments I wonder if this could become a buddy read thread for the whole series? Maybe Anna and I could discuss Before Mars and After Atlas behind spoilers? Fearless leader?

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I ain't mad if y'all ain't. But then let's also please say which book AND chapter (abbreviations fine) so that we remember what was happening. :)

message 10: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just wrote a super long post about all the things but I can't post it. I want to say all those things, but I can't. So I'll try and make it very short and impersonal. I have an anxiety disorder, in fact several. This book speaks to me. The whole series does. It's amazing. I wish I could express what I really want to say, but I can't.

That's not at all what I wanted to say, but you get the point. This book knows anxiety, it's brilliant, go read it!

message 11: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

<3 <3 I hope you find the words, or the space to say them! I'm looking forward to this one and feel you on the anxiety front.

Rachel | 1323 comments Yep Im with you!! And getting into Before Mars- another great mental health portrayal!!

message 13: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

About Before Mars, no spoilers!

The type of mental health issue it deals with is something I have zero personal experience of, so you'd think it would be hard to connect to the character. On the contrary, it felt very real to me, and it's the final proof I needed that Newman writes from such deep personal experience, and completely puts herself on the page, that it's impossible not to feel connected to these people. The anxiety etc. feels real because it is real.

Rachel | 1323 comments Is it a spoiler to say what the kinds of mental health challenges are in the books? As someone who has experienced part of what is described in Before Mars it is - SO on point. SO true. I'm about 100 pages into it.

And whenever anyone else gets on here we'll go back to discussing Planetfall, lol

message 15: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I had it ”spoiled” for me by a tweet by the author, so I guess a normal person wouldn’t consider it a spoiler. I just usually want to know as little as possible, so decided not to name it in case someone else feels the same way.

Meredith | 1352 comments Just getting started on Planetfall. I like how we are immediately in this new world, trying to learn about the technology etc. (which is very cool!), PLUS the mystery starts almost immediately too.

The enthusiasm from the other folks in this group also is a great incentive to dive into this book.

message 17: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay, we lured someone in!

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I've listened to both Planetfall and After Atlas on audiobook and loved them both. I'm listening to Before Mars right now.

I'm going to agree with everyone else that Planetfall does an excellent job of portraying a person with anxiety.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments My Cloud Library has the Planetfall audio so I think I’ll go that route. The audio is good, right Jordan and Anna? I think it’s read by the author, which will be a first for me. I probably won’t start it until closer to the end of the month though...I’ve got two audiobooks going right now, and I’ve got two other buddy reads coming up, plus two books from my TBR challenge I’m wanting to start. I’m really excited about this one though!

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments I personally loved the audio for both. Also loving the audio for Before Mars so far. After Atlas has a male narrator, but the other two are indeed author narrated. I think it helps a lot in really conveying the feeling of the book and the main character's anxiety to have her narrating it.

message 21: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes I think the audio is good, but it sets a very specific tone in my opinion, which might not be the same as reading your average scifi book. I know I felt a very different Renata when I first read it compared to my audio reread. But other than that, Newman's voice is so lovely the audio will always be worth it. And I guess it's not your average scifi anyway, so it fits.

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Great, thanks y’all!

Meredith | 1352 comments Ooof. I just read the section where we fully learn about Ren's mental health problem. (chapter 19) (view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments okay, I finished.
!!!!
ho-lee shitsnacks!! why didn't this book win, like, all the awards???
*crawls off to blanket fort to decompress*

message 25: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meredith wrote: "ho-lee shitsnacks!! why didn't this book win, like, all the awards???
*crawls off to blanket fort to decompress*"

I know! I had to talk my brother's ear off after I finished, and the poor thing hasn't even read the book. I still keep bothering him with the series, I hope to eventually wear him down so he'll read it and squee with me :D

message 26: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Starting today! I wanted to wait for a holiday week, so that maybe I'll have some hope of being able to tell everyone to heck off while I finish it.

I'm excited/anxious to hear about anxiety being done well.

Nicol | 488 comments I finished it a couple of days ago but still feel immersed into the world of that makes any sense. I definitely want to continue the series. The other books are like prequels though, right? Any news that she might write one where this one leaves off? I loved the world building as well as the emotional and realistic portrayal of mental illness. Does Emma narrate the books herself?

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicol wrote: "The other books are like prequels though, right?"

They are sort of sequels, technically they could be read in any order, but I think the little things make more sense if read in publication order. In any case, both sequels take place after Planetfall.

Nicol wrote: "Any news that she might write one where this one leaves off?"

I have no idea, but after you've read the other two, you'll see a pattern forming, which I think tends to lean towards yes/sort of/maybe.

Nicol wrote: "Does Emma narrate the books herself? "

Planetfall and Before Mars are narrated by her, and After Atlas by a man (can't remember his name now), but his style is very similar to Emma's.

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments I just finished this and I have some mixed feelings. The portrayal of mental illness was amazing. So compelling and real. I wasn't super thrilled with other parts.

Details under tag, for the whole book.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 23, 2018 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

re: Kristin B.
Spoilers for everything.

(view spoiler)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Re: Anna wrote: "re: Kristin B.
Spoilers for everything.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 23, 2018 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll put these things behind spoiler tags for those who don't want to know anything at all about the books, but these are things you can find out from the blurb and/or author's Twitter, etc.

After Atlas (view spoiler) The rest is a bit more spoilery, but everything you need to know is in this Tor.com review.

Before Mars (view spoiler)

edit: I'm so weird about spoilers, I feel like I've just spoiled everything in the world for everyone with that Before Mars description, since it's not in the blurb. That's also why I had to link to Tor.com, I did describe all those things myself at first, but to me it feels like they're major spoilers. Obviously they can't be for most people, since those things are mentioned in all reviews.

Rachel | 1323 comments Ack!! I have no internet or WiFi yet ai want to click the spoiler tags!! Damn you Fios Verizon for bailing on us so many times!! And I’m missing my game 7 hockey!!

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Anna wrote: "I'll put these things behind spoiler tags for those who don't want to know anything at all about the books, but these are things you can find out from the blurb and/or author's Twitter, etc.

After..."

Thanks for the info! and don't worry about being spoilery. 1. I asked for details, and 2. you put it behind tags, so anyone who doesn't want to know won't see it. (Plus it doesn't feel super spoilery.)

They sound interesting, particularly Before Mars, but I already have so much on my plate I'll probably skip them. I'm not super invested in the universe. I do love that folks are excited about these types of characters though! I adore really human characters that aren't perfect.

Rachel | 1323 comments I REALLY enjoyed after Atlas. Wait no - enjoyed isn’t right. It was horrifying and amazing.
Just finished before Mars and it may have done even better with mental illness than the others.

Plus....I’m fairly very there will be a 4th that will tie the three together somehow.

message 36: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited May 23, 2018 11:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel wrote: "I’m fairly very there will be a 4th that will tie the three together somehow. "

I kind of wouldn't even mind having to wait for the conclusion if the reason was that there were going to be more than four books total! All the books stand on their own, so the only cliffhanger is what happens when everything comes together. As long as the books continue being as awesome as they are, I don't mind waiting for more. Of course I wouldn't want her to write several books just for the sake of it, they would have to make sense in the end.

message 37: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm like 6 chapters in so far. I'm enjoying it quite a bit! Fast paced. Just starting to learn what's going on. I will say (view spoiler) was one of the creepiest sentences I've ever read.

message 38: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay, at Chapter 8. Not really a spoiler, but in case.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments So I just started this (I'm on Chapter 8) and it's flying by (which is a huge relief). I love that Newman just threw us right into the action. I'm already sucked in by the mystery of it, imagining the world and the city they inhabit, etc.

Also: (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah wrote: "Anna are you able to say when Ren would have been growing up?"

I can't remember for sure, but it's possible there's a mention in either Planetfall or After Atlas that sort of puts things on a timeline. I think the story starts in the not so distant future, but that's just a feeling based on how she describes some of the past events and the world.

Sarah | 2610 comments Thanks! That’s sort of the feeling I have too- not too far removed from the present.

message 42: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't know if anyone else besides me and Rachel has read all three books, but let's do this anyway. Don't worry everyone else, you're not missing out on anything spectacular, it's just a long list of questions!

Major spoilers for both Planetfall and After Atlas:

(view spoiler)

Major spoilers for Before Mars:

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments I'm up to Chapter 21- but this is probably safe to click after 19.

(view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments Sarah wrote: "So I just started this (I'm on Chapter 8) and it's flying by (which is a huge relief). I love that Newman just threw us right into the action. I'm already sucked in by the mystery of it, imagining ..."

lol, you are so right! (view spoiler)

message 45: by Sarah (last edited May 31, 2018 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 2610 comments Kristin B. wrote: "I just finished this and I have some mixed feelings. The portrayal of mental illness was amazing. So compelling and real. I wasn't super thrilled with other parts.

Details under tag, for the whol..."

You said it perfectly. I don’t really have much to add.

End of Book spoilers:
(view spoiler)

Rachel | 1323 comments ok I know I've seen a million other people ask, but how do you do spoiler tags again?

Sarah | 2610 comments Hi Rachel: it’s < spoiler > and closed with < /spoiler > but no spaces.

message 48: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Omgggg friends...

Chapter 19...I just about crawled out of my skin. My personal issues manifest in the exact opposite way, and I had to (view spoiler) We'd just be one big spiral of "this is all so awful!"

But I think that shows how good the writing is, that it set me off so decisively!

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "Omgggg friends...

Chapter 19...I just about crawled out of my skin. My personal issues manifest in the exact opposite way, and I had to [spoilers removed] We'd just be one big spiral of "this is a..."

Haha- I felt the same way. I started (view spoiler)

message 50: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep. Gonna go iron all my summer clothes now, BRB.

« previous 1 3 4