Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Announcements > Win! A Copy of The Radium Girls by Kate Moore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 885 (885 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18

message 1: by Jo, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Jo (jo_9) | 373 comments Mod
Dear members,
We are pleased to announce that we have 50 copies of one of our current reads 'The Radium Girls' up for grabs.
To win a free copy, please post a sentence below telling us why you think this historical book about the poisoning of female factory workers might still have relevance today.

The competition will close on May 14th - winners will be selected at random.

This competition is open worldwide :)

Good luck!
The OSS Mods

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 4 comments Women are still fighting for their rights in and outside of the workplace and struggling to be treated the same as men.

message 3: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Zern | 5 comments I think it’s still important because it has helped shape our safety in the work place today.

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 7 comments this book is important becuase it shows people not only fighting for their rights, but also just fighting to survive and care for themselves and their loved ones despite the cost.

message 5: by Nicté (new)

Nicté (nictetrujillo) Women around the world are still hurt in the name of progress; we need to make sure this stops happening not only where we are part of our community but all around the globe.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Roa (justreadandlove) | 4 comments Hey everyone! I think this book's still relevant today because laboral conditions are still different and unfair for many women all over the word, and we need to remind those brave women who somehow paved the path for us to be where we are today. There's plenty of work to do towards full equality, yet, we have to recognize and admire the legacy of those who came before us.

message 7: by Chels (new)

Chels (morchels) | 3 comments Hi!
As someone who doesn't read much historical work, I think reading about the Radium Girls will be fascinating. I'm assuming that it will be an interesting read about the inherent disposability that society seems to think about women. I'm so curious to read this book, to see how women were relegated to painting, clearly a position in the factory considered able for women, which ended up being a really dangerous position within the factory. The fact that these deaths not super common knowledge and yet they ended up changing laws and how women were treated within factories. Granted, I haven't read it yet, I'm just intrigued.

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments Women's contribution to society is still publicly reduced and we need to call more attention to the amazing work women have done in the past and the present!

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Melcher | 1 comments Only by understanding the past and past mistakes can we insure that those mistakes are not repeated

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenbburdinie) | 10 comments It's important because care is not being taken with chemical exposure to this day, especially with women and international factories. This book is so important!

message 11: by Anya (new)

Anya (anyamaria) | 2 comments Women are still being treated poorly in work situations. Whether it be less pay for the same work, or being passed over for promotions because men have families to support, or even enduring hazardous conditions (such as nail technicians and all the chemicals they inhale). We still have so far to go to be seen as equal.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahelizanoel) It's not something that people know about and this book gives it the exposure it deserves.

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra Winter | 1 comments It's so important for us to look back at history to see how much we have gained and how far we still need to go.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Girard | 4 comments I think it’s relevant because it shows how we can fight for our rights for safety and equality in the workplace!

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel (mel_cat) | 1 comments History has largely ignored women's stories (I mean, 'his-story', c'mon!). This book will help these women's stories be heard, which is the absolute least we can do to give them some semblance of justice.

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Sanderson (bridget_sanderson) | 15 comments I think it’s an important read to remember how hard women have had to work for equal rights, and how hard we have to continue this fight.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieh1993) | 18 comments Women's position in society is vital and the book is relevant to ensure that individuals can explore and learn about how women can be and were treated.

message 18: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 1 comments Unsafe working conditions and feminism are still issues of vital importance: millions of people today still work in dangerous conditions and society is still largely run by system that supposedly benefits half of its population but really only does damage to everyone.

message 19: by Matheus (last edited May 07, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Matheus Rios | 4 comments I think it's important because many women around the world still live in the same deplorable conditions described in the book, which shows that change is still necessary.

message 20: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Edwards Our history is littered with the victims of corporate greed and neglect, and each story from our past illuminates one from our present.

message 21: by Jas (new)

Jas (jaskaur037) | 6 comments This is important because so often, women's contributions to the workforce are overlooked or forgotten, and this book documents the perseverance these women had in fighting for justice.

message 22: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecroxton) | 2 comments It can remind us that we can help give a voice to the voiceless.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura (lauradebuys) I’m intrigued by this book not only because of how it highlights how the disregard for fair working conditions has historically harmed women, but also how women have channeled their challenges and disenfranchisement into enacting real change in the world (even if it’s too late to see those changes themselves).

message 24: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 32 comments Reading this historical book is still relevant today because it shows that women as workers don't fight just for equality but for their safety, their health too. Even for their own life !

message 25: by Laiza (new)

Laiza (pinay1990) | 2 comments This is still relevant today because women to this day are still fighting for their rights, and are still being seen as the lesser sex and looked down on.

message 26: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Engel | 1 comments Unsafe working conditions are not a thing of the past; for many women they are a daily reality.

message 27: by Maje (new)

Maje | 1 comments A book like The Radium Girls is (and stays) relevant because of its ability to make us reflect, whether by drawing parallels to society of today or by reminding us of the horrors of the past.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Portela | 5 comments I think this still has so much relevance today and I feel like schools should place this book on reading lists. I would love to share a copy with my 15 year old niece.

message 29: by Maria (new)

Maria Lopez | 5 comments It’s important to understand the sociological and socio economic impact of how events such as the one depicted in Radium Girls, has changed the landscape of the environments in which women work in present day. More importantly, it allows us to examine how much has changed and much more needs to change in order to create safe and regulated environments for women in the workplace.

message 30: by Mirjam (new)

Mirjam hoffman | 3 comments This book is still relevant today as sadly women are still treated inequal not only in pay, but also in safety and health. In 2018 female suffering is still relevant and we can't voice it enough how much this needs to change. It is an ongoing fight!

message 31: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Aleman | 1 comments I see it as synonymous with the relevance and impact "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" had when released in 2010. Woman legacy, intentional or not, should be told loudly and to all who will listen (or read).

message 32: by Geneviève (new)

Geneviève Chabot | 3 comments This book is still relevant today because work conditions remain difficult for many women around the world, be it because of health and safety concerns, sexual harassment, or pay inequity. Learning from the past can help shape the future.

message 33: by Dayna (new)

Dayna Mathew | 1 comments This is such an important topic because it shows how women have impacted a large professional setting and how that setting has impacted them; it empowers us to ensure that safety and integrity are our biggest values, especially when it comes to women.

message 34: by Júlia (new)

Júlia Rocha (julia_mar) | 1 comments The conditions of work for many women around the world are still very difficult, wether it's about health and safety or about harassment or pay gaps.

message 35: by Laina (new)

Laina | 3 comments It is relevant today because so many corporations still value profit more than the welfare of their workers and this needs to end, it also highlights some of the struggles women are facing in the workplace today. Sounds like an amazing book!!

message 36: by Klaudia (new)

Klaudia (klauds_) | 1 comments This book is still relevant today because women are still lower than men in the social hierarchy, and the wage gap between the two sexes is very much existent to this day. Even tough women do have more rights than before, we are still not acknowledged and recognised as worthy people who can achieve the same, if not more, than men.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex Chow | 2 comments It is relevant today because so many people around the world are still fighting for their rights.

message 38: by Adriana (new)

Adriana M. (ailovecafe) | 3 comments Women are strong, resilient, and loving beings. Although they don't face the exact same conditions as in this book, it is absolutely necessary to teach our children about the horrifying conditions that women had to deal with, and how in other parts of the world, are still experiencing, and why we should keep fighting for justice and equity for ALL women.

message 39: by Erin Mcaulay (new)

Erin Mcaulay | 2 comments Today's women may not be literally poisoned (although this also still happens) we are poisoned socially. We are told that we are being treated equally but we aren't. We're still harrassed on the streets, in schools, and in workplaces. Our mental health is being poisoned in how the world treats us and how the people treating us this way think it's acceptable. We need to stand up and fight against the poison.

message 40: by E (new)

E (fleurinka24) | 2 comments Women are still too often victims of poor working conditions of precarious work without any chance to better their position in work force therefore it is absolutely necessary to remind our selves of important moments in movement for workers' rights to make sure the conditions of workers can get only better.

message 41: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 2 comments Although the specifics of what we are fighting for have changed over time, we are still fighting for women's rights today and will continue to until we are treated fairly and with equity!

message 42: by Annelise (new)

Annelise | 2 comments It is still relevent today as it is yet another example of how women are treated unfairly compared to men and hopefully encourages women fight for their riggts and not to accept the status quo.

Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice) (bookslifeandeverythingnice) | 2 comments Women have always been treated unfairly in the workplaces, often with their health, safety and earnings at risk. While it has improved, women are still being treated unfairly in the workplace whether in obvious or more subtle ways. Women of color and economically disadvantaged are especially discriminated against, with little resources to fight back. This book helps to shed light on the unfair workplace practices regarding women.

message 44: by L Y N N (new)

L Y N N (book_music_lvr) | 13 comments Because if laws were never enacted to protect workers, very few employers would do so voluntarily. And especially females!! They appear to be expendable in patriarchal societies.

message 45: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments This book is important today because it highlights the struggles women went through as employees, just trying to be treated fairly. It also helped form some of the workplace safety policies still in use today. It's important to remember the past so we do not fall into the same traps in the future.

message 46: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (mandzo6) | 4 comments From the threat to the Standing Rock reservation’s sacred ground and water supplies to the lead poison water crisis in Flint, Michigan to chemical weapons attacks in Syria, stories of people in and with power profiting from the pain of those without it remain prevalent; the stories of women who fight against these injustices remain as necessary today as they were all those years ago

message 47: by Sara (new)

Sara (sara_portela) | 8 comments I think this book is still relevant today because women around the world still struggle against prejudice, still suffer violence, are still being silenced by society. Our rights are not always respected. This cause is a current one.

message 48: by Griselda (new)

Griselda (graygal) My one sentence answer is:
Reading about historical battles women had to face is the spark of courage we need, today, as feminist, to continue pushing progress forward to a safe and equal environment for all.

My more detailed answer (because I couldn't resist...this is a book club, after all, discussing books and book topics is what we're here for :) )
My boss likes to make a joke that "Human Resource (HR) exist because women entered the workplace"

In a way, it's somewhat true. Women have the instincts of mothers and mothers tend to protect. Rules need to be implemented and enforced.

However, based on what I know on the history of Radium Girls (still haven't read the book) the women were told to continue pressing the brush (that contain radium) to their lips in order to make the product perfect. It took years for them to press charges. It took many deaths and illnesses. The company refused to find another method of doing things because it was the most convenient way for the company.

Therefore, this book is relevant today because it reminds us that we should speak up. We should fight back. We should listen to our mother-like instincts of wanting to protect and keep an environment safe. Look at how many cases appeared when the #MeToo movement came about. There is a great injustice in the workplace and it is often overlooked.

I know many people who don't want to bring up injustice because they don't want to be "that girl". The one who talks about feminism in a male-dominated field. Remaining silent isn't going to help the next generation. If the few brave souls didn't decide to risk their careers in order to bring safety into their workplace, it would have taken even more time (and lives) for the court to finally shut the operation down and introduce chemical hazard laws. And now, companies have to acknowledge any potential threats, especially threatening for pregnant women and their babies. Because of the few that do speak up, change can be made.

message 49: by Merel (new)

Merel Verhulst | 2 comments It is relevant because feminism is still not seen as the means to liberate us all. Men and women should feel equal in both spirit and body.

message 50: by Beth (new)

Beth (biblioholicbeth) | 5 comments As the current administration continues to roll back EPA regulations, it's not a stretch of the imagination to assume those affecting health in the workplace can/will be at risk as well.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 17 18
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.