The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood, #1) The Hazel Wood discussion

The Hazel Wood

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle When I was in elementary school, I read a series called "The Sister's Grimm." This series told the story of two sisters whose family was tied up in fairytale conflicts. They find themselves in the word of fairytales, trying to solve the mystery of their parents disappearance. Since then I have not found myself reading any fantasies, but this one seemed like a must. The Hazel Wood is the young adult version of Sister's Grimm novel. It has a fantastic protagonist with a great side kick. The characters build well off of each other, and the other does a great job of building the plot with them. In this story, Alice has spent her life on the move with her mother always seeming on the run from something. Her grandmother is the famous author of a fairytale series. Alice's mom has hid her from her grandmother's works her entire life, but it catches up with her in the end. When Alice's mom is kidnapped, she and her friend must set out to solve the mystery and along the way the discover the secrets hidden within her grandmother's novels. This is a great read for anyone interested in fantasy, good female leads, or a mystery.

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 1 star

Lyn *SPOILERS*I myself LOVE fantasy novels, however i did not enjoy The Hazel Wood. I dont want to offend anyone who did enjoy the book, this is just my opinion. I did like the idea of the stories all being real, but i did not like the writing, I found that 2/3 of the book seemed to be slow, and useless, and every eventful plot point would be rushed. Much like the death of Flinch, it happened so suddenly, and not in a good shocking plot twist kind of way, but that it didnt make sense. And the comb, bone and the feather, there was somewhat of a build up for what they could be for, and they were all used so quickly and in pointless ways, i felt like the author didnt know what to do with them, but was too lazy to edit the story to not include them.