inglenook discussion

YOUR MERMAY BOOKS // Presentation

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by nicky (last edited May 07, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

nicky (nickysamira) | 47 comments Please do not fear the name "presentation", I just didn't know how else to put it.

I finished my personally chosen MERMAY book for this month today: The Gloaming by Kirsty Logan, and I have to say that I did enjoy it. I read it over the past couple of days while it was quite hot and I liked it, sitting on the balcony and diving into the cool waters of the ocean.

It is atmospheric.
It has mermaids.
It has fairytales.
It has the ocean.

It was not a 5 star read for me though and - disclaimer - it was not about mermaids, if that's what you're looking for. It is a story about love and grief. Childhood and everyday life. Decisions and magic. And the ocean. I liked that the magic was integrated into real-life and it never felt forced. It was a weird read though. I didn't know what I was getting into, but I wasn't disappointed at least, I marked about 30 passages, which certainly is a good sign, I believe.
(question: do you annotate your books?
I also loved the depiction of the ocean, as I do adore the ocean more than anything myself.

I am not entirely sure yet, how this could morph into a discussion, but I am happy to answer all your questions and maybe ask you one, relating to the book:
What was your favourite fairytale as a child and why?

P.S. I am desperately looking for a good and ADULT (not meaning NC-17 or anything, just meaning not young adult) book about mermaids, please hit me up!!!

message 2: by nicky (new)

nicky (nickysamira) | 47 comments Potentially discussion-worthy could be this passage for example though, that I really liked. Mara, the protagonist, finds solace in books at some point (who on this website could not relate to that?) and here is her reason:

“Over that winter she read a hundred deaths – and when the book ended, she could turn to the first page again, and the death was undone.”

What do you think about that? I found it a very sad, but also very true observation. I experience a very similar feeling with fanfiction, where you re-read the story of two characters falling in love (most often it's love) over and over again. In different worlds, in different environments, in different times. Why do e crave this? I personally read Lily and James Potter fafiction and don't we all know how the stories most often end? With their deaths, of course. They are necessary, as much as it pains me, for Harry's story to begin. Why do we find that resurrection so fascinating? Is it a God-complex we all possess? Or is it - as I always say - a need to feel this tragedy? I am quite tired right now and although I could probably write a whole essay on this will leave it at that for now.
This topic actually reminds me of one of my favourite quotes though (even though I never read the book it's from), that I will share with you:

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”
- Kiersten White