Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > A Whisper of Bones: 1.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments A Whisper of Bones (Jane Lawless #25) by Ellen Hart

A Whisper of Bones, Ellen Hart

1/2

I had no idea this was a "Family Drama" when I chose to read it, I simply ran out of things to read & picked it up off the New Book Shelf

It was ok, which made me decide that I won't be reading another in this series.

Jane Lawless has allowed her previous girlfriend, Julia (who is sick w/ cancer), to move back in making it difficult for Jane to deal with her feelings (so it's a damn good thing she takes a case that has her, Jane, staying elsewhere).

Taking a break from a conference, Britt goes to visit her aunts and asks about her cousin Timmy, whom she had met & spent time with during their Grandfather's funeral. Both women deny that there ever was a Timmy and that Britt is making up stories.

Britt hires Jane to investigate, when Jane goes to question the aunts she finds that the aunts are taking in boarders, so Jane decides to rent a room from the aunts.

Aunt Lena is a mouthy alcoholic confined to a wheelchair and Aunt Eleanor is a nice calm church-going woman, whose problematic son, Frank, lives in the basement.

When the garage burns down, the arson investigator falls through a trap door and discovers the bones of a murdered man....

The other characters:
* Jane's friend & partner Cordelia, who hates Julia, and also rents a room from the aunts
* Butch a neighbor of the aunts
* Pastor Dare who supports Eleanor by keeping her secrets
* Novack another neighbor & neighborhood Watch Block Captain
* Wendy, Frank's wife, who wants a divorce as Frank becomes more violent
* Quentin, another boarder & Paranormal Investigator

This is "popular gay mystery series" -- Entertainment Weekly

But that is not why I didn't like the book: the basic plot, while interesting became convoluted with the addition of the extraneous characters, their issues, and their hidden agendas. There were several loose ends, the conclusion came together all too conveniently, and the additional love story in which Butch was featured was written as a bad sinister stalker Red Herring.

I found this book as a simply awful piece of writing mired in what seemed to be confusion about just what to do with all the characters & their back/side stories.

The plot/premise is what earned this an extra 1/2 star.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Eek.

Sounds like the potential was there with the crazy characters, but otherwise terrible? So sorry you wasted your time. I'm impressed you read the whooollllle thing.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Kimberly, did you have a different user name on Shelfari and just joined back up here on GR. If so, we want to match your previous participation points....

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments JoLene wrote: "Kimberly, did you have a different user name on Shelfari and just joined back up here on GR. If so, we want to match your previous participation points...."

Oh! Thank-you... I was Auntie Nanuuq!

What gave me away?My scathing reviews? LOL!

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9373 comments Yeah, how did you figure that one out?

message 6: by JoLene (last edited May 11, 2018 09:49PM) (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Not the scathing reviews....
Actually the mods were discussing that with the influx of new members (over 300 since April), that we had to do more checks. When we do the participation points, we now need to do some extra steps to ensure that we are allocating to the right people. I mentioned that we had two Kimberly’s, and LibraryCinn mentioned she thought that you might be Auntie Nanuuq from Shelfari.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments JoLene wrote: "Not the scathing reviews....
Actually the mods were discussing that with the influx of new members (over 300 since April), that we had to do more checks. When we do the participation points, we now..."

Yep: Cin would know that.... Anita might have known it too

So thank-you, I didn't care about starting over

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments 300 since April! Wow! I noticed we are no longer a featured group but we still might make 1000 before the years out.