Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Before We Were Yours 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments Before We Were Yours 3 Stars

"In this poignant novel, inspired by a true story, two families, generations apart, are forever changed by a heartbreaking injustice"

The story of Rill Foss and her siblings begins in 1939; The story of Avery Stafford in the present day. Two families linked by an unthinkable crime.

I was really looking forward to reading this book and was disappointed how long it took for me to latch on to it. As the author jumped between the time periods I sometimes felt that 2 different people were writing the chapters. The story of the orphans kept me riveted, while for me, Avery's side of things fell short. Thus my mediocre rating of 3 stars.

I would like to know more about Georgia Tann and the actual events that took place, will probably search for some other books on the subject. If anyone knows of one or two let me know!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I finished this book over the weekend (haven't written my review yet) and I agree that it took a while to hook me and that the end of Avery's story was a bit eye roll inducing. Ultimately, I gave it 4 stars instead of 3 though.

I definitely want to know more about Georgia Tann too! What a horrible person.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments Nicole R wrote: "I finished this book over the weekend (haven't written my review yet) and I agree that it took a while to hook me and that the end of Avery's story was a bit eye roll inducing. Ultimately, I gave i..."

LOL Nicole, exactly-it ended like a Nora Roberts book!(No offense to Roberts fans-just not my genre!)

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Joanne wrote: "LOL Nicole, exactly-it ended like a Nora Roberts book!(No offense to Roberts fans-just not my genre!) ..."

Nora Roberts writes WAY better romantic intrigue than that ;)

I just thought the romance element was unnecessary. I thought it was intriguing enough about this person who was helping her through the shared friendship of their grandparents.

I also thought that adding in the angst of the fiance was weird. He didn't add anything to the story except to be this odd conscience balancer. That wouldn't be needed at all if you cut out the odd relationship.

The whole thing was just off.

But, I did like the other aspects of Avery's story line. I am obsessed with politics so I liked that being woven into the story, though it got a little melodramatic at the end even in that regard.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments The eye-rolling inducing scares me off! I just ditched a Picoult novel for that reason. I did try to get this in audio yesterday but it seems it is unavailable.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments Susie wrote: "The eye-rolling inducing scares me off! I just ditched a Picoult novel for that reason. I did try to get this in audio yesterday but it seems it is unavailable."

Don't let that turn you away, as Nicole said, the other aspects of the story were good. I had not known about this adoption scandal before, so that part was very interesting to me.