East of Eden Readalong discussion

25 views
East of Eden > Introduce yourself / Expectations

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (last edited May 07, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Introduce yourself and tell us if this is your first time reading the book! What made you want to pick it up, how did you hear about it, what are you most looking forward to?


message 2: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (auroradomani) Hi! This will be my first time reading this book. Everyone I've heard mention this book says it's one of their favorites, so I have pretty high expectations even though I'm going in blind. I don't know anything about it further than the blurb.


message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Anastasia wrote: "Hi! This will be my first time reading this book. Everyone I've heard mention this book says it's one of their favorites, so I have pretty high expectations even though I'm going in blind. I don't ..."

Hi Anastasia! Glad you are joining in. I know this book still gets a lot of buzz on the internet and it seems like everyone claims it as a favorite so it's tough to sort of keep expectations in check when this happens. Usually, when books seem to be beloved by almost everyone it's hard for me not to go into it skeptically, which isn't really fair to the book. But I think I just try to do my best to go in not expecting too much too soon, especially with a long novel where it may take a while to really get into the groove of the story.

That being said I read this one about a year and a half ago and really loved it. It motivated me to start reading most of Steinbeck's books chronologically which is what landed me back here for a reread. I'm really hoping my second reading of this novel will reveal more things and only enhance my appreciation of it. My second read of Cannery Row went great so I'm hoping for more of that with East of Eden!


Karen (idleutopia_reads) (idleutopia_reads) | 1 comments I heard about it through Ian's instagram. I have read Steinbeck but I haven't read this book yet. I am so excited to read it and being part of a buddy read tends to help me out when it comes to my reading. I am looking forward to adding more of Steinbeck to my read list. I'm a big Steinbeck fan, he is one of my favorites so I can't wait to share in this reading experience.


message 5: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (auroradomani) Ian wrote: "Anastasia wrote: "Hi! This will be my first time reading this book. Everyone I've heard mention this book says it's one of their favorites, so I have pretty high expectations even though I'm going ..."

I definitely agree! I'll have to keep that in mind as we go. I'm looking forward to seeing the discussions on here as well! I feel like I get a lot more out of reading a book when I can see others' thoughts on it while I go - also helps if I missed something :)


message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Karen wrote: "I heard about it through Ian's instagram. I have read Steinbeck but I haven't read this book yet. I am so excited to read it and being part of a buddy read tends to help me out when it comes to my ..."

Great to have you on board Karen! I'm excited to see your thoughts as you make your way through for the first time. Looks like this group is gaining a lot of traction so I'm looking forward to all the discussion!


Evelina | AvalinahsBooks (avalinahsbooks) Thanks for inviting me Ian! I might be or might not be able to join, depending on my workload at that time, but I am taking the chance that I might be :D


message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily Emm (emmaleighbug) I’m hoping to join in! The only Steinbeck I’ve read so far is Of Mice and Men and I think it’s brilliant. I’ve been juggling whether I should read Grapes if Wrath or East of Eden first, which has kept me from starting either one for years! I hope to read all of his books at some point.

I am going into East if Eden completely blind as well. I haven’t even read the blurb in a very long time! My expectations are about the same for any classic I begin, which is about in the middle, with hopes it will blow me away, as so many others have done before.

My Instagram handle is @thelitertarian, by the way :-)


message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Evelina | AvalinahsBooks wrote: "Thanks for inviting me Ian! I might be or might not be able to join, depending on my workload at that time, but I am taking the chance that I might be :D"

Yay! I hope you join in. If it takes you longer than a month that's no problem!


message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I’m hoping to join in! The only Steinbeck I’ve read so far is Of Mice and Men and I think it’s brilliant. I’ve been juggling whether I should read Grapes if Wrath or East of Eden first, which has k..."

Awesome to have you Emily! I really like both Grapes and East of Eden, but they are different in a lot of ways. I read East of Eden first and it worked out for me. I think you will see Steinbeck's ability to create a scene in EoE with imagery and characters like you saw in Of Mice and Men, but just on a much bigger scale.


message 11: by Erinn (new)

Erinn Schneider | 2 comments Hello!

So, as it's been pointed out, this book is revered by many and a common favorite. And I am one of those people. This *is* my favorite book, and I've read it 8 or 9 times since I first read it at 16 years old. I'm looking forward to the discussions to come and hope everyone takes something away from it, even if it's not your cup of tea.


message 12: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (sageribardan) I've never read "East of Eden", in fact only read "Of Mice and Men" for school. I suppose I just wasn't much of a fan of that book to consider reading Steinbeck further.

That said, I am looking forward to having a discussion about this book, including why people like the book so much.


message 13: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Erinn wrote: "Hello!

So, as it's been pointed out, this book is revered by many and a common favorite. And I am one of those people. This *is* my favorite book, and I've read it 8 or 9 times since I first read..."


That's amazing Erinn! Glad to have an East of Eden expert with us. I can't wait to read this one for my second time. I hope to be able to dig more into the themes of the book instead of being so focused on the storyline like I was on my first read.


message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Daniel wrote: "I've never read "East of Eden", in fact only read "Of Mice and Men" for school. I suppose I just wasn't much of a fan of that book to consider reading Steinbeck further.

That said, I am looking f..."


Glad you're giving him another chance, Daniel! People do tend to have mixed reviews for Of Mice and Men. I can't make any promises, but I can tell you East of Eden will definitely be a lot different. It's a much bigger and ambitious work. It also has less of the character specific speech used in Of Mice and Men (Lenny) which may have turned people off in that one. It is, however, set in a similar location geographically in Northern California. I will be really interested to see your thoughts on the book!


message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Jane | 7 comments Hi! I found it! So this will also be my first time in a readalong discussion group AND my first time with East of Eden. I’m looking forward to it after all the rave reviews on Bookstagram. It sounds like I’m in good company with the “I last read Steinbeck in high school” folks. It’s a shame, I know, but I did love Of Mice and Men, so I’m hoping to love this one too. Thanks for hosting, Ian! I think it’ll be fun!


message 16: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "Hi! I found it! So this will also be my first time in a readalong discussion group AND my first time with East of Eden. I’m looking forward to it after all the rave reviews on Bookstagram. It sound..."

Glad to have you join in Stephanie! I think it's a good sign that you liked Of Mice and Men. This will be different of course, but I think there are a few similarities. Can't wait to see what you think!


message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 10 comments I'm hoping to start reading East of Eden soon, maybe in a day or two. I haven't read any Steinbeck for years and so will look forward to re-acquainting myself with his work. I haven't read EoE before but I have seen the film—I can't remember anything about it though. It's a book that has been recommended to me by various people over the years. I hope everyone's enjoying it so far!


message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian Anderson (beyondthemargin) | 29 comments Mod
Jonathan wrote: "I'm hoping to start reading East of Eden soon, maybe in a day or two. I haven't read any Steinbeck for years and so will look forward to re-acquainting myself with his work. I haven't read EoE befo..."

I see you have posted a few times, but I'm waiting to read the next couple threads until I catch up. Hope you're getting along with the book Jonathan! This is my second time reading this book. I also watched the film after I read it the last time. The book should bring you a lot of new experiences.


message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily Emm (emmaleighbug) There’s a film?? I shouldn’t be surprised...


back to top