Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
This topic is about Clockwork Prince
Book of the Month > May BOM - Clockwork Prince

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
We have a winner!!!!

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Amyiw and I are going to read this one together because we did enjoy the second book, so please let us know if you are reading with us or if you are skipping this one.

Below will be a set of questions to help you along with what to talk about the book. Please feel free to complete the questionnaire, or just post what you did or did not like about the book.

Discussion questions you might want to answer... if not just post up your review!

1. What did you like best about this book?

2. What did you like least about this book?

3. What other books did this remind you of?

4. Which characters in the book did you like best?

5. Which characters did you like least?

6. If you were making a movie of this book, who would you cast?

7. Share a favorite quote from the book. Why did this quote stand out? I will post a link to quotes already on Goodreads if you want to pick one. Just copy and paste it in the comments. if not find the quote in the book and type it out here.

8. What other books by this author have you read? How did they compare to this book?

message 2: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (mooturtil) | 1767 comments Mod
I'm reading it too. I just have to get a copy of it from the library.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammyo73) | 66 comments Trying to find a copy.

message 4: by Angela (new)

Angela Parrill | 7 comments I’m going to skip this one because I haven’t read the first book yet.

Kassybetweenpages I will be sitting this one out this month, as I haven't read the first book in the series.

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

OMG.. I am part way through and I am dying.. I already read what happens, but I want to see more!! I am hoping she marries James... but Will is so blah...

I also would like to know the family tree. You keep seeing the same names, Fairchild, Herondale, Lightwood. HOW are these characters related to the characters in the first book. I tried looking at family trees, but.... doesn't help.

message 7: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited May 09, 2018 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
The beginning started pretty slowly for me but it really picked up. I'm really enjoying it, probably more than the first.

@Norma- the names are confusing. I think I finally have got them somewhat down.

message 8: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I got a copy, I got a copy!!! sorry I was excited I got a copy. it's just an Ecopy from the library via overdrive, but it still counts. now let's see if I can read this in a few goes rather than binge reading till the early hours of the morning..... hahahahaha that's the funniest lie I've told myself all year!

message 9: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Good luck with that. I read it through. I think it was better than the first. I felt for Will and what he has been through but don't excuse him either. This one is all about keeping control of the enclave in London. I really liked that they weren't put into stupid positions like all the shadow hunters leaving at once and all the vulnerable people being without help. Nope this was much smarter.

message 10: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

DONE! The explanation of Will's "curse" and how they all met is cool, but there is really nothing that can be said without giving ANY spoilers away! Either way, I did like this book, but reading the books out of order of how they should have been read (TMI 1-3, TID 1-3, TMI 4-6, etc,...) By stuffing Lady Midnight into the middle of these really threw me off... I mean A LOT. I highly recommend reading them in the order mentioned above to get the full affect. I wish someone had told me that and maybe I wouldn't be as "huh"???

message 11: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

No these are almost serials in that they build off one another true. Still they don't leave real cliffhangers and for me that is my definition of serial, so just a series that really needs to be read in order.

message 12: by Adele, Moderator (new)

well after I did my re read... yeah I binge read it. i just couldnt stop!! so yeah I re read it and still loved it. But it is interesting. I never knew it was out of sequence. I thought it was a prequel or something. I think I need to buck up and read the TMI series. I hated the first book...so it is going to take a lot for me to read it. But if it is essential to understand this series I will do it. maybe audio book might be better format for me.

message 13: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adele... Read Books 1-3, then remember TID.. THEN booked 4-6.. DO NOT Read the Lady Midnight series (we did last year) without the nine books.. I did and now I am all "huh... who that".. I lost myself!

I just started book 3. I like Audiobook because I can do other things with it.

message 14: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm going to start book 3 also. I want to get the whole story even though these are good at wrapping up the main plot there is still the bad guy out there. I'll get to it before the end of the month. One week.

message 15: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

OMG.. Amy.. It gets you right in the feels from the beginning! I was so mad I had to turn the car off and not hear about the Worm/Jem/Will drama!!!!

message 16: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited May 25, 2018 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'll start it, Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare after
Louisiana Longshot (Miss Fortune Mystery, #1) by Jana Deleon , which is not at all a paranormal but definitely a fun mystery.

message 17: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited May 31, 2018 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

For the 3rd book. I think YA series are just not for me. This ended well but obvious. (view spoiler) Still that good ending didn't make up for the drag throughout the book for me. The angst with the triangle, etc... **sigh** and then the plot that moved like a snail. 567 pages that felt like less than 300 of story. YA/NA fans might be on the edge of their seats but I was frustrated and bored. I would recommend this series only to lovers of YA/NA UF. 2nd book was the best.

message 18: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I completely agree with too much filler, but it kind of helps readers like me that go "what the hell!? How did those two hook up!?" I think the Whaland guy needs a foot up the @$$! I am at Chapter 7, I think. I think the Audiobook makes it better because of the accents and readers. I defiantly like this series in Audio

message 19: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jun 01, 2018 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don't think I would've finished if not for the audio. I put down written books and just leave the unfinished, never update the book page other than putting it back into TBR thinking I'll finish it sooner or later. That is what happens with books that I am a bit bored with, not ones I dislike. Those I usually read through and write a scathing review. HA. So the books that are OK become the DNF. Audio definitely helps get me through them. :-)

Here are others (YA) that audio got me through the end
Winter (The Lunar Chronicles, #4) by Marissa Meyer , though the books up to this one were really good. This one was 300 pages too long, 400 or 500 pages could have done it. It was still good just way too long.
Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor , this started off excellently. But then TMI and plot changes to drag it out. I really didn't care what happened to our couple in the end. Kill them all. And I loved them at first, even the 2nd was good. I wrote a scathing review for this one.