Play Book Tag discussion

The Roanoke Girls
This topic is about The Roanoke Girls
May 2018: Family Drama > The Roanoke Girls, by Amy Engel 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments Wow. This book was dark. I don't know if anyone is familiar with Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects and the twisted family dynamic that contained, but Roanoke Girls makes Sharp Objects look like a heartwarming family story. The author did an AMAZING job of making this character believable as the survivor of what happened to and around her (I'm being vague because I'm trying not to give anything away!), showing just how damaged it made her. That does not always make her a pleasant character to read, because her pain was so real and visceral. This person was truly broken, and the depiction of her thoughts and emotions was pretty spot on for victims of abuse. I am in awe of the author's ability to be so consistent in the way this character acts and thinks throughout the entirety of the book.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Whoa! Darker than Flynn makes me want to steer clear of it! I don't know why I didn't think it would be dark given the description....

Sounds like it was perfect for the family drama tag though!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments I too have been worried about the darkness of this book. For some reason it’s stayed on my TBR. But life is short, and my TBR is way too long.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I enjoyed this one also- gave it 4 stars too. This book was creepy and nasty, and gross. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I had to go back and read my own review since it's been a while since I've read this- but it's funny- I also compared this to Sharp Objects. Great minds must think alike!

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments I know this book contains some serious triggers for some people, but I cannot say enough how well the author constructed these characters. I'm in awe.

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments Nicole R wrote: "Whoa! Darker than Flynn makes me want to steer clear of it! I don't know why I didn't think it would be dark given the description....

Sounds like it was perfect for the family drama tag though!"

Yeah, I was not expecting it to have quite this level of holy-crap-that's-messed-up. I thought it was fabulous, but I know this is definitely not for everyone!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m intrigued, but on a scale from 1 to 10 how scary is this? When I hear “good characters” I’m always intrigued.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments This one has been on my TBR for a couple of years now. I just took it off the other day. Because I’m just thinking that life is short and there so many fabulous books out there. I don’t know, especially given my profession, that I really want to engage in that level of dark and messed up. I think I’ve hit the point where I really love my books to have some peace of it that feels uplifting. I actually just took it off, because I cannot believe that my TBR got so close to 500.

message 9: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Rachel wrote: "I’m intrigued, but on a scale from 1 to 10 how scary is this? When I hear “good characters” I’m always intrigued."

I wouldn't call this scary at all. There is definitely disturbing material- but that is more because of subject matter, rather than "scariness". I'm a complete chicken, and didn't find this scary.

Amy, I can see you potentially trying to analyze all the characters in this- which honestly, there is just no point with these people because they're all messed up (unabashedly) with little fixing, lol.

message 10: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Considering I didn't like Sharp Objects, I'll move right along.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "This one has been on my TBR for a couple of years now. I just took it off the other day. Because I’m just thinking that life is short and there so many fabulous books out there. I don’t know, espec..."

I can understand this Amy. I have a friend who won't see a movie or read a book if it doesn't have a good ending. I don't go quite that far but there are levels of disturbing that I just don't want to visit. I can imagine in your profession you would feel even stronger about this.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Joi wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I’m intrigued, but on a scale from 1 to 10 how scary is this? When I hear “good characters” I’m always intrigued."

I wouldn't call this scary at all. There is definitely disturbing ..."

I'm a complete chicken and my college aged son just took me to see The Quiet Place for a early Mother's Day outing. WOW!! So I think maybe I won't put anything disturbing on my TBR list at the moment.:) Thanks for answering my question though.

Josephine Mallory | 14 comments Rachel wrote: "I’m intrigued, but on a scale from 1 to 10 how scary is this? When I hear “good characters” I’m always intrigued."

I wouldn't call this scary at all (so probably a 1-2). It was more disturbing than anything.