What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Experimental memoirs/essays

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Looking for memoirs or essay collections (creative nonfiction) that are considered experimental or non-traditional. A good example might be the writings of Maggie Nelson, but I'm looking for others as well. Authors who play with/write nonstandard essay structures (braided storylines, micro-essays, etc.) and hybrid forms (mixing nonfiction, poetry, etc.) are especially appreciated.

I've been looking around GR, but even in the Listopias most of the suggestions are rather traditional memoirs/essays. I know they exist, they're just hard to find, I think. :)

message 3: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "A Memoir Of No One In Particular"

Perfect, thanks!

message 4: by Rachel (last edited May 08, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Maybe A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius? It's a memoir but not written in a straightforward way. Contains stream-of-consciousness passages, conversations that the author admits never happened, etc.

I also thought of Essays in Love (also published as "On Love") It's a semi-autobiographical book about the author and his then-girlfriend, where he tries to write a biography of her and tell the story of their relationship. There are interesting asides, like photos and illustrations, e.g. when he realises her poor grasp of geography and attempts to draw a map according to what she (incorrectly) thinks the world looks like.

message 5: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Thanks, Rachel! I've read the Eggers, but I'll check out Essays in Love.

message 7: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Lauren wrote: "Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life is a good one."

Thanks! I'll check that out.

message 9: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Rosa wrote: "The Things They Carried, maybe?"

Interesting idea! I've read that one already and it wouldn't have been one of my first thoughts, but I could see how that works here. Thanks!