Read Women discussion

Archive > June Nominations - North/Central America

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited May 13, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Louise | 680 comments Mod
Nominations for our next 'Read Around the World' book are now open.

In June we will be reading a book set in... Northern or Central America

Books set in any country on the North American continent are acceptable for nomination, and the author does not have to be from said country (though it might be worth noting if they are). Also acceptable are books set on continent, but where the country is never identified (for a South American example; the country in One Hundred Years of Solitude is never firmly identified in the text).

Once the winner is picked, we will strike that country off the list next time we visit North America.

One thing I am doing differently this month is if you nominate a book, please indicate whether you would be willing to lead the discussion about it. If you don't want to lead, that's absolutely fine, a moderator will lead instead as we do now.

I'm trying to find ways to up the engagement and since I don't always have time to read all the books we chose it would be great if those nominating who are happy to lead discussion are given an opportunity to do so.

Nomination Criteria
1. Book must be written by a woman (transwomen and women writing under male pseudonyms are women)
2. Book must be set (or at least half-set) in any country on the North American continent that has not been 'visited' already.
3. You cannot nominate your own book.

Nomination Rules
1. Please identify the title , authors name , and the country (if identifiable) your book is set in when nominating.
2. Please use the Goodreads 'add book/author' button when nominating, otherwise your nomination may be missed.
3. NEW RULE! Please indicate whether you are willing to lead discussion on the book.
4. Try to avoid using this thread for chatter and don't link to any book that isn't your nomination as it makes it very hard to locate what are actual nominations and what is just discussion.
5. One nomination per person.

North/Central American Countries we have already visited:
1. United States of America - The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Nominations will close on 14 March, when the poll goes up.

Helpful Links!
List of Countries in North America A-Z
List of Countries by Continent

Nominations so far
Moonbath by Yanick Lahens (Haiti) - Cam to lead
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel (Mexico) - Kristin to read
Pao by Kerry Young (Jamaica) - Louise to lead
A Visit to Don Otavio by Sybille Bedford (Mexico) - Lethe to lead
Umami by Laia Jufresa (Mexico)
The Island of Eternal Love by Daína Chaviano (Cuba)

message 2: by Cam (new)

Cam | 95 comments I nominate Moonbath by Yanick Lahens (Haiti). The novel is set in Haiti and the author is Haitian. First published in 2014, English translation 2017.
I'm happy to lead if it is selected

message 3: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 513 comments I nominate A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. I am happy to lead the discussion if it is selected.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 244 comments Liesl wrote: "I nominate A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. I am happy to lead the discussion if it is selected."

The USA has already been visited (Donna Tartt), see #2 under Nomination Criteria.

message 5: by Louise, Group Founder (last edited May 11, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

Thanks Lethe

My nomination is Pao by Kerry Young (Jamaica) and I can lead

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 244 comments I don't know if memoirs are allowed? If they are, I would like to nominate A Visit to Don Otavio, previously published as The Sudden View: A Traveller's Tale from Mexico, by Sybille Bedford. (She maintained it was an autobiographical novel, if that helps.)

The book is set in Mexico.

I have no experience leading a discussion and I don't know what would be required.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda (lindaleehall) | 6 comments I nominate Umami by Laia Jufresa. This is from Mexico.

message 8: by Louise, Group Founder (new)

Memoirs/non-fiction totally allowed!

And as for leading. Not asking for a huge commitment there - trying to get the convo flowing, not put people off nominating. Can be just the occasional check into the thread, see how everyone's doing and maybe asking a few book questions, however the discussion leader thinks it's best to get people talking.

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 244 comments Thanks, Louise. I think I could handle that. :-)

The book could be interesting to discuss, as the author is from a privileged background and has the opinions to match. (But at the same time there is much to enjoy in her writing style.)

message 10: by Celdema (last edited May 13, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Celdema | 3 comments The Country Under My Skin: A Memoir of Love and War by Gioconda Belli (Nicaragua)
I change my nomination as there is no kindle version.

I nominate The Island of Eternal Love by Daína Chaviano (Cuba)

message 11: by Liesl (new)

Liesl | 513 comments lethe wrote: "Liesl wrote: "I nominate A Book of American Martyrs by Joyce Carol Oates. I am happy to lead the discussion if it is selected."

The USA has already been visited (Donn..."

Sorry about that.