The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Kindle Unlimited

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruth (last edited May 07, 2018 02:54AM) (new)

Ruth | 1252 comments So... Kindle Unlimited. I'm slightly puzzled by it. I had a free-trial membership to read We Are Legion (We Are Bob)read a couple of other books I was interested in, and I'm now thinking I should cancel. It seems there's a handful of high-profile books (Harry Potter, The Three Body Problem) and then a morass of mainly self-published stuff I've never heard of. I'm sure there are some gems in there but I personally don't want to spend time wading through when I have literally hundreds of other things on my TBR list.

At £7.99 per month in the UK, it initially seems a good deal if, like me, you read 8+ books a month. However, Amazon also does a lot of 99p e-book deals, so if you're clever at snapping those up, you could get 8 books for 8 quid easily enough without tying yourself in to a subscription service, and if the books you want to read aren't on K Unltd...

For anyone who reads fewer books and/or has more money to spend, it doesn't seem like a good deal, and if you have less money to spend then you're better off going to the library.

So maybe the typical K Unltd customer is someone who reads more than 8 books a month and either isn't too fussy about what they read, or is happy to give lots of things a try and accept that they might not enjoy most of them.

What do others think? Am I overlooking hundreds of awesome books I should totally read?

And how about authors? Does K Unltd give you a good deal?

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (modquokka) | 4 comments As a reader I use the library a lot (low income and all that), but I've just published my first novel on Kindle Unlimited as an indie author.

Nightjar by Paul Jameson

Amazon UK: www.amazon.co.uk/Nightjar-Paul-Jameso...

I've had quite a few KU downloads and page reads, but I have no idea how many unique readers it equates to or indeed how much that will mean in returns as yet. Certainly the publication process through KDP and signing up to KU is seamless and painless which is good.

Despite being a library user, I have put Kindle on my phone now so that I can start to read other indie authors like me. There are gems out there for sure!

I've just started Rusticles - a collection of shorts by Rebecca Gransden - and the first story is excellent writing (it reminded me of Du Maurier whilst being nothing like her). High praise indeed.

However as a reader, perhaps follow some reviewers who read a lot of the genres you like and discover those with similar tastes; then you should be able to steer clear of those tales that won't suit you and make the most of KU...

message 3: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 657 comments I just canceled my KU $1.99 trial subscription.

While I will read many of the indie books available there; I also read a bunch of books that are not available on KU that I get from the library as soon as they're published.

I seem to be reading at the pace of about three books a month. It seems like at least one, usually two of which are not available on KU. At ~$3.99-$4.99 a book - that makes KU not a good deal for me.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 347 comments I really like Kindle Unlimited and get my money’s worth each month. However, I truly believe passion leads to the best stories, which means an unknown is likely the best (writer, singer, actor, etc). They don’t necessarily treat their stories as a business first. I enjoy the hunt for these gems by people who just can’t get noticed. Most of the books are okay, some are terrible, but there are many entertaining books, too. Regardless, I get a good feeling knowing that I provided my honest opinion to an author who had less than 15 reviews. It’s a way to let a person know that at least one stranger took a chance on their passion. So, for a person like me, Kindle Unlimited is a fantastic deal and service. (No I didn’t receive any compensation for this post).

message 5: by Alan (new)

Alan Denham (alandenham) | 144 comments I don't use Kindle Unlimited, but Philip's post (#4 above) made me go and take a look. It matched my own preferences - or seemed to!
The sorting is rubbish! If I ask for Fantasy it offers me a page showing '1 - 16 of over 2000' books. Clearly I need to refine my search! That need became even more obvious when I checked a few of the titles and realised what sort of 'fantasy' was being offered.
When I tried to refine, it filtered me right down to 29 children's books - and then couldn't get back! (at least, not without starting from scratch, and then the ''fantasy' selection wasn't there, I had SF instead!)

So I won't be using KU - either as reader or as author - until I get some reassurance that I will be able to find something to my taste!

message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4274 comments I list my books on KU as do most of the authors (and publishers) that I know. It's an important part of the business model for indies and small press.

As a reader, I tend not to since it isn't worth my while. I've had it and found that I'm better off making purchases (and the author gets more from a purchase.) My wife has it and loves it. She generally finds books from matches to authors she likes on the Amazon page, rather than doing searches.

message 7: by Stephen (last edited May 07, 2018 07:41AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments There are some books that I look at that have the " Free with Unlimited Kindle" but then the price is generally $2.99 without the monthly fee. I do not know if the author gets more $$$ If I join the unlimited and get the book or if I pay the couple of dollars up front. I wonder if the amount an author gets from Unlimited is comparable to what the writer gets from Public libraries?

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4274 comments Either way a person arrives at a borrow, the author gets an amount per page read. a KU "page" is generally about 2/3 of a printed page, so the KU length is longer than you might otherwise think.

The amount per page read depends on the amount Amazon allocates each month, but is generally about 0.4 cents a page.

message 9: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 524 comments I had a trial membership of KU at the start of the year, but struggled to find much that I wanted to read - it certainly didn't have much crossover with my existing 'to be read' list. Only exception being that Robert Rankin appears to have much of his back catalogue on there, including access to author-narrated audio books at no extra cost. It might be worth my while to join up for a month periodically and binge another 2 or 3 of those.

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Nagy | 379 comments I use KU alot, it's okay even with that.

Big +s
*Can quickly check random indie book and drop it 1/3-1/2 way if trash.
*Whispersync, with KU you can check out a book, then upgrade to an audiobook version for $1.99, then download the audiobook, then return the KU book and wow $1.99(or .99/7.49) for an audiobook...nice.