Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > The Round House by Louise Erdrich - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4642 comments The Round House by Louise Erdrich - 5 stars

Set in 1988 on an Ojibwe reservation in North Dakota, thirteen-year-old Joe’s family is devastated when his mother is subject to a vicious attack. Her reaction is to withdraw, showing all the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Unfortunately, the exact location of the crime is unclear, leading to a quandary among state, federal, and tribal jurisdictions. Joe’s father is a tribal judge, so he helps Joe understand legal ramifications. It starts out as a mystery, with Joe and his friends attempting to figure out the perpetrator through a variety of means, but it is not what I’d call a typical mystery, as we rather quickly learn who committed the crime, and it turns into a question of whether justice will be served. Themes include the impact of violent crime on families, the desire for justice in the face of legal loopholes, personal integrity, and retribution. It is a social commentary, but the author delivers her message through the story and it is not at all heavy-handed.

This book has it all when it comes to delivery. It contains an intriguing plot and well-developed, interesting characters. It is engrossing, well-written, and unique. It has a strong sense of place and comes across as authentic. Heads up for violence (including rape and murder), sexual content, profanity, and underage drinking. Highly recommended to readers of literary fiction, especially involving family dynamics, or those interested in Native American issues.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6405 comments I love Erdrich's writing!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I really must give this a go. So many great reviews!

message 4: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Thanks Joy. I am now remembering that I read Erdrich's Love Medicine in the 1990s. And I see that the local library has several selections of her books, so at least one of her books goes on my list for November :-)

message 5: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4642 comments Susie wrote: "I really must give this a go. So many great reviews!"

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did, Susie!

Cynda wrote: "Thanks Joy. I am now remembering that I read Erdrich's Love Medicine in the 1990s. And I see that the local library has several selections of her books, so at least one of her books go..."

Looking forward to seeing which one you pick, Cynda! I've only read this one, so I'll have to check out some of her other books.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Wonderful review. The one after was almost as good, but divided my GR friends on ratings. I've read quite a few. The Master Butcher's Singing Club was one of the best for me, though it jas minimal Indian themes. "Tracks" is an early one steeped in Indian lore and magical realism that I loved, which features the same tough and sarcastic heroine, Fleur, that was in Love Medicine. Her newest I have trouble digesting as in blends Indian spiritualism and sci fi post-apocalyptic elements.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments So far, I've only read YA by Erdrich, but I've been meaning to try an adult book by her. Maybe this is the one I should try!

message 8: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4642 comments Michael wrote: "Wonderful review. The one after was almost as good, but divided my GR friends on ratings. I've read quite a few. The Master Butcher's Singing Club was one of the best for me, though it jas minimal ..."

Thanks, Michael! I will have to put a couple of those on my TBR list.

LibraryCin wrote: "So far, I've only read YA by Erdrich, but I've been meaning to try an adult book by her. Maybe this is the one I should try!"

I haven't read any of her YA. I definitely recommend this one!