The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

Ice Breakers/Activities > Question 8: Share one of your favorite book quotes!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Berger | 156 comments Mod
For this activity, share one of your favorite book quotes - why does that quote stand out to you? Let us know :)

message 2: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
“That was the thing about words, they were clear and specific-chair, eye, stone- but when you talked about feelings, words were too stiff, they were this and not that, they couldn't include all the meanings. In defining, they always left something out.”
― Janet Fitch, White Oleander

message 3: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 5 comments If you would have fleshy life human life hard life which can move through time and space
Then fight for it if you would have human philosophy then struggle and make yourself wise so that nothing can hurt you ever again
Wisdom is strength collect yourself whatever you are into something with a purpose
-Prince Lestat

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula | 56 comments "Fair is whatever God wants to do." ~ Reuben Land in Peace Like a River by Leif Enger.
This quote sums up what the characters have learned to accept all through the story. They travel over the Badlands searching for their son/brother following a family tragedy. The line buoyed me up when the story was nearly over. I'd followed this family through the cold and through their adventure. I'd 'witnessed' the miracles. I was on the edge of my seat. And Reuben's wisdom in the telling of their story settled on me like snow on pine trees.
I think it's the best line in the whole book and a truth to believe in. BTW: I've read this book three times and, I'll be switched, I believe it may be time to read it again.

message 5: by Monika (new)

Monika Needham | 46 comments "It sounds plausible enough tonight, but wait until tomorrow. Wait for the common sense of the morning.” Time Machine, HG Wells

I find this quote to be true not only when building interdimensional machines but, is also applicable after a long night of drinking when even the most preposterous ideas seem quite feasible.

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan Cunningham | 65 comments Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgiastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter—to-morrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And one fine morning——

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

message 7: by ROBERT (new)

ROBERT | 60 comments From Mabeth:

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peace Like a River (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leif Enger (other topics)