Play Book Tag discussion

A Spool of Blue Thread
This topic is about A Spool of Blue Thread
May 2018: Family Drama > A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2331 comments Abby and Red Whitshank have been married nearly 50 years and most of that time they have lived in the beautiful home constructed by Red's father Junior. Now in their early 70's, Abby and Red are beginning to show their age and their 4 adult children are understandably concerned. Red is hard of hearing and has had a few scares with his heart; Abby has become forgetful and wanders. Stem, their youngest child, moves his entire family in with his parents to help out. Denny, the black sheep of the family, decides that he will move home as well. The living arrangement soon brings back long-standing jealousies and deeply buried secrets. A heartbreaking tragedy brings some issues to light that may not ever be resolved.

I enjoyed this story of 4 generations of the Whitshank family. While not all of the characters were exactly likable, they all played important parts in the novel.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this too. Anne Tyler’s character development is something special.

message 3: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I used to read Anne Tyler books as soon as they came out, but for some reason she dropped off my radar. I might pick up one soon.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments "I can't hear you..." Just started the audio today ... avoiding your review until I've finished, but I'm loving it so far.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve not read any of her books but the comment about character development caught my eye. I love when an author catches me and keeps me tangled in to the characters so that I want to read every book they write.

Susie | 4488 comments BC, I hope you like the audio as much as I did. Rachel, fingers crossed you appreciate it too.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I just finished the audio with intermittent readings of the print copy when I couldn't listen - Like when I go to bed at night I like to read, if I listen, I get lose my place! Anyway, I liked it quite a bit and am about to do my review.

message 8: by Joni (new)

Joni | 625 comments I liked this book also. I listened to it on audio CD. In fact it was on of the first novels that I listened to in my car.....shortly after I started working at the library. :)