Play Book Tag discussion

May 2018: Family Drama > Death Comes in Through the Kitchen: 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited May 09, 2018 10:29AM) (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Death Comes in Through the Kitchen by Teresa Dovalpage

Death Comes in Through the Kitchen, Teresa Dovalpage

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wow: what a powerful book; although classified as "mystery" it is political as well. It is multi-layered and the characters are as real as one can get without being caricatures.

I was drawn in by the cover, but the title reminded me of a typical cozy, which this thankfully, certainly is not.

Matt, a food journalist from San Diego, returns to Cuba thinking that he is going to marry Yarmila, the editor of a very popular Cuban food blog written in English.

Matt arrives w/ Anne, the American cougar, who is there to hook-up w/ Yony, her Cuban boy-toy. Yony is a brisnero, a seller of hard to come by goods & taxi driver.

When Yarmila, Yarmi, does not meet Matt at the airport as promised, he goes to her apartment and finds her dead floating in her bathtub.

Matt meets & spends times w/ all of Yarmi's friends & acquaintances:
* Isabel (who runs La Calderosa, a restaurant that she partners w/ Yarmi) Isabel's husband & son (Pato Macho, Yarmi's Cuban lover);
*Yony, the purveyor of food & goods for la Caldosa & Yarmi;
*Taty, el mariconcito who works in Isabel's restaurant & a drag club; *Ramon, who runs the guest hostel that both Anne & Matt stay in,
*Carmela & Pablo, "los gusanos" who write about & publish the truth about Fidel's inhumane Cuba
* Policia Marlene, who is investigating Yarmi's murder w/ her former instructor turned Santero:
*Padrino, who both find out that Yarmi wasn't who everyone believed her to be....

This book was not only well written, but it held my interest; I only stopped reading @ 4:00 am because my eyes finally closed & refused to open.

A thick plot, sidewinders, and in the midst of it all one grand deception that blows up the lives of everyone Yarmi knew & feigned to love.

Oh yeah! recipes.... there are fantastic Cubano Recipes!

Family Drama?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Did you know that you can use tags to hide spoilers?

If you put “< spoiler >” TEXT YOU WANT TO HIDE “< /spoiler >”
You have to remove the spaces is between the <>.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments JoLene wrote: "Did you know that you can use tags to hide spoilers?

If you put “” TEXT YOU WANT TO HIDE “”
You have to remove the spaces is between the ."

Thank-you: I didn't want to hide my text, I wanted those who might question why I marked this Family Drama to know that there might be something that gives part of the murder away...

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Kimberly wrote: "Thank-you: I didn't want to hide my text..."

It hides it, but those who want to see it can click on it to reveal it. That way people who don't want it to be spoiled can't accidentally read it.

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments annapi wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "Thank-you: I didn't want to hide my text..."

It hides it, but those who want to see it can click on it to reveal it. That way people who don't want it to be spoiled can't accident..."

Ah, now I get it: Thank-you....

message 6: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Sorry should have made that clearer ;-)