What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Hi, I'm Katie Hooper (Katie Hooper #1)
This topic is about Hi, I'm Katie Hooper
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Chapter Book: Girl becomes BFFS with new girl in neighborhood [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gia (last edited May 07, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Gia | 3 comments UPDATE: It's Katie Hooper series by Jane Sorenson! Thanks Ayshe!

Hi -
Ok, I've read through the rules and searched the archives, and I think I'm in the right place.

I'm looking for a children's chapter book series (3 or 4 books) i read pre-middle school in the mid to late 90s. The series is a fairly wholesome story about a somewhat sheltered girl from a traditional family (SAHM, working dad) who becomes friends with a new girl who moves to town. The new girl is less traditional (possibly a working single mother.)

Random plot points from over the series:

- the MC and her mother cook/bake a lot. They make chocolate chip cookies and at one point they talk about putting a nail in a baked potato to make it cook evenly (random, I know - it was the first time I'd heard of doing that!). The cooking/baking is something the new best friend is not used to.

- at some point, the MC's mother gives her a new outfit for valentines day

- the MC learns to jog at another point. I think it's to lose weight/be a bit healthier, but the book doesn't make that a huge point. She runs on a trail that she can get to from her backyard.

- at the end of the series, MC's best friend moves away (which was ~very~ sad and traumatic to read about at the time.)

- The MC's name MIGHT be Katie.

I know this isn't a lot to go on, but any help with be appreciated! You guys are amazing!

Thanks in advance
Gia

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Peanut Butter and Jelly? First book is New Friends.

Characters are named Polly and Jilly. I'm not sure one of the girls moves away at the end, though. Is this about the right age, or were the kids older?

message 3: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 07, 2018 05:19AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments It sounded a little bit like Katie John but I think that's too old (originally published in 1960). Also, it's Katie John who moves to into town in the beginning, and I don't remember either Katie or her new best friend Sue moving away.

message 4: by Gia (new)

Gia | 3 comments Not this, though this series looks adorable! (It looks like the kids might be the right age- I'm having trouble remembering. :/) This series only had 3 or 4 books in it.

Thanks tho!

Rainbowheart wrote: "Peanut Butter and Jelly? First book is New Friends.

Characters are named Polly and Jilly. I'm not sure one of the girls moves away at the end, though. Is this about the right age, o..."

message 6: by Gia (new)

Gia | 3 comments Ayshe wrote: "The Katie Hooper series by Jane Sorenson maybe?"

YES!!!!!!!!! Thank you *SO* Much.

Clearly, I've messed up some of the details (I think I only read half the series, which is why I only remember 3 or 4 books.)

You're the best!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Katie John (other topics)
New Friends (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Sorenson (other topics)