The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

The Eustace Diamonds (Palliser, #3)
This topic is about The Eustace Diamonds
The Trollope Project - Archives > The Eustace Diamonds May 6-12: Chapters 24-32

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frances (francesab) | 1936 comments Mod
In this section, we start to see the issues arising for our characters.

First, we see Frank starting to waver about his engagement-his cousin is clearly wanting him to marry her, he knows it, and yet continues to spend time in her company. Can he be so naive as not to understand what he is doing? What might be the consequences of their increasingly warm relationship?

Second, we see that the question of the diamonds is not so straightforward after all. What new issues might arise from Mr Dove's opinion?

Third, Lucy Morris has placed herself in a position in which she feels she must leave Fawn Court, and is not in a position to take a new governess post while awaiting her marriage. What pitfalls do you see for Lucy?

Are we getting another young man who behaves badly in love, and yet manages to keep his sweet fiancee? Would anyone else like to see Lucy find a wealthy young lover who adores her to replace Frank Greystock?

Please share your thoughts on this section.

message 2: by Lori, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1439 comments Mod
Trollope said that neither Lucy nor Lizzie was the main heroine, and I'm impatient for her to be introduced--because I'm thoroughly tired of these characters.

I appreciate that Lord Fawn is honest, but he's still a pompous ass. Lucy is too blind to listen to reason. Lizzie is still Lizzie; we know what to expect from her. Frank is playing with fire, and I'm starting to not care what happens to him--or even to Lucy--in consequence. I wonder how Lucy and Lady Linlithgow will get along. Maybe they'll like each other.

message 3: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree-I'm finding Lizzie too scheming and dishonest, and Lucy too sweet and trusting. Frank is frustrating me in the same way that Phineas did (and that Crosbie did as well) with their dithering between the sweetheart at home and the wealthy temptress.

message 4: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick I do not see how a book built around Lady Lizzie is going to be as good as what we have read in books 1 and 2.

My impression is that Frank was invented to be Phineas, w/o the cost of losing PF. That is PF will be necessary later in the set, the next book bares his name again. Trollope needed a susceptible lawyer man. Hence Frank.

I have sympathies for Lucy. She is a replay of Alice V, but with less independence and virtually no financial floor. My sense is that the socially expected reticence on saying what you want to say, in so many words is a major part of many of her problems.

message 5: by Frances, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrodrick wrote: "I have sympathies for Lucy. She is a replay of Alice V, but with less independence and virtually no financial floor. My sense is that the socially expected reticence on saying what you want to say, in so many words is a major part of many of her problems."

Actually, Phrod (do you mind if I call you Phrod?) I think that Alice was in fact more like a female Frank, as she dithered between 2 men. I was thinking Lucy is like Mary Flood Jones or Lily Dale, and it would be nice to see one of Trollope's fine young men, trying to choose between love and money, not have everything entirely their own way in the choosing. (Although perhaps this was simply a mirror of reality in that era and that social circle).

Nice idea of Frank as a Phineas stand-in. For some reason I don't find Frank as charming (and therefore forgivable) as I did Phineas. Possibly because things didn't all go Phineas' way, first losing Lady Laura and then losing Violet Effingham before having to choose between love and money.

message 6: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2228 comments Mod
It seems like Trollope is now padding his books to get more money. We see the same scene from different points of view or get repetition of similar conflicts. I think his plots were tighter in the Barchester series.

With Dickens, I really enjoyed seeing how he developed from one book to the next, and although he had some repeating tropes, there was a lot of variety. With Trollope, it seems to be a lot of the same thing over and over.

message 7: by Phrodrick (last edited May 12, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Phrodrick There is padding aplenty. Not just repeats with minor variations but long side discourses and descriptions.

One can almost begin a paragraph and hear Anthony singing to him self:

Book Report lyrics
[LUCY]
A book report on Peter Rabbit, Peter Rabbit,
Peter Rabbit
Is this stupid
Book about this
Stupid rabbit
Who steals
Vegetables
From other
Peoples'
Gardens.

Gardens,
Gardens,

https://www.allmusicals.com/lyrics/yo...

Still, I like the writer and will see this one through.

message 8: by Robin P, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Robin P | 2228 comments Mod
I recognized those lyrics! I still like Trollope but I miss the sharp humor of Barchester Towers (still my favorite).

message 9: by Lori, Moderator (last edited May 11, 2018 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1439 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "I recognized those lyrics! I still like Trollope but I miss the sharp humor of Barchester Towers (still my favorite)."

That one's my favorite too. I keep wondering if we'll come across another that's as good as that. Subjective obviously, but the feud between the archdeacon and the Proudies (and Slope) was epic!

Brian E Reynolds | 754 comments My memories from my previous reading of the 2 series is sketchy but I'm thinking that the plot will pick up a bit in this book. Good thing, since I agree with the prior comments like Lori's that the characters, including Lizzie, and the plot are getting tiresome.
And yes, Frances, I hope Lucy would get someone better than Frank. While Trollope avers that she's not the heroine he treats her like one. If she's not its only because she's in a supporting role to Lizzie's star turn. I do enjoy Lucy's deferential spunk and like her better than the sanctimonious Lily Dale, who I do give props for inspiring some of the most fun discussions here, but not as much as the other Lucy, Lucy Robarts from Framley. I don't think she's like Alice V. who I agree is more similar to Frank. Really weak men in this book.

message 11: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 2941 comments Mod
I am getting tired of Frank. I think Lucy could do way better than that- maybe someone with a backbone.
I think if Lizzie and Frank got together, it would cause a tremendous crash as they go through her money and are then stuck together.