Frog Music Frog Music discussion

Quote page number

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Would someone who has the hard cover edition please tell me the page number of the quote written above about "people have no idea of the things that don't happen to them..."? Thank you!

message 2: by Henry (last edited Aug 08, 2014 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Henry Le Nav I do not have the hard cover edition, but I do have the Kindle edition and the quote appears on page 271 (of 403 pages). That may or not be helpful. On the Kindle edition Chapter VII Bang Away appears on page 277. It appears as though page 276 may be blank. As such the quote should appear 5 or 6 pages before Chapter VII.

Failing in that here is the immediate text around the quote:

Qu’est-ce, that’s all Blanche remembers hearing after the gunfire, which could have been the start of Qu’est-ce que c’est que ça? or Qu’est-ce qui m’est arrivé? But maybe it was an English word after all, it occurs to her now, that choking guttural, then a final hiss in the dark: kiss, is that what she heard? Could Jenny have been asking for a kiss before all the life spurted out of her? But Jenny had never asked Blanche for any favors— not a shirt, not a dollar, and certainly not a kiss.

“One final point that troubles me, Miss Beunon,” says Coroner Swan. “You told Detective Bohen that you were crouched down, untying a gaiter, just when, outside the window, the murderer was aiming the gun?”

She bristles; crouched down, that sounds deliberate, surreptitious. Could he be implying that she was in on the plot? “I didn’t know, did I?” As if Blanche’s body could have been expected to feel the danger coming. People have no idea of the things that don’t happen to them— the lives they’re not living, the deaths stalking them— and thank Christ for that. Hard enough to get through each day without glimpsing all the hovering possibilities, like insects thickening the air.

“Does it not strike you as more than a little coincidental?” Blanche shrugs rudely. Coincidences happen all the time. Fate touches one fingertip to the spinning top and knocks it over.

Donoghue, Emma (2014-04-01). Frog Music: A Novel (pp. 271-272). Little, Brown and Company. Kindle Edition. (Locations aprox 3715 to 3728).

Hope that helps.

message 3: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Thank you so much, Henry!I so appreciate your help.