Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > WeeK 19: May 6 - May 12 (Nostalgia)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (last edited May 06, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Christina Enquist | 10 comments So I loved how the last challenge was set up so I thought I would give you three choices. I know that we are all crazy for YA, but I thought it would be cool to include an option to reread a book you loved in elementary school. I don't know about you, but I totally feel like books that I read as a child are old friends that I sometimes like to meet up with again. :) So I guess I'm really asking for us to indulge in NOSTALGIA, which is the theme for this week.

Choose one or more of the following challenges for the week:
1. Read a book that you loved in elementary school.
2. Read a book that you loved in middle school.
3. Read a book that was a YA hit in the last 10 years.

I'm curious. What was your favorite book in elementary school?
reply | flag *

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Oooo, I love the challenges! :)

message 3: by Mehsi (new)

Mehsi MM, I think I will go for option 3. Fun challenge!

But I barely know any of my books from when I was a kid/teen only a few here and there, and while there are favourites in there, I am worried I may not like them as much as I did when I was a kid (don't want to ruin childhood memories). Until Goodreads I never really kept track of what I read, or I tried and gave up after a few months due to me reading a lot.

message 4: by Christina (new)

Christina Enquist | 10 comments My favorite book in elementary school was Mrs. Frisby and the rats of Nimh. I was also fascinated by the short story The Veldt, by Ray Bradbury.

message 5: by Kaitlyn (new)

Kaitlyn (121-books) | 225 comments Oh no ... if I read a book I loved in middle school, I might have to reread Twilight, and I don't know if I'm ready for that nostalgia yet XD I'll search around for a book, and I'll probably read one for Option #3 :)

My favourite book series in elementary school was the Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M Martin <3

Anna (Adventures with a Book Nerd) (bookish_anna) Kaitlyn wrote: "Oh no ... if I read a book I loved in middle school, I might have to reread Twilight, and I don't know if I'm ready for that nostalgia yet XD I'll search around for a book, and I'll probably read o..."

OMG same lmao. Don't know if I'm ready for Twilight yet.

laurel [the suspected bibliophile] (laurelthereader) Christina wrote: "So I loved how the last challenge was set up so I thought I would give you three choices. I know that we are all crazy for YA, but I thought it would be cool to include an option to reread a book y..."

My favorite books growing up? Oh dear, that's a lot. I loved Buffalo Gal by Bill Wallace—although Beauty was his better story. And Matilda. And Ella Enchanted, The Seer and the Sword, Black Beauty, Caddie Woodlawn, and so many more. I loved any picture book illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman or Jan Brett.

And I'm dating myself...but Twilight came out in high school for me. It was a BIG DEAL if you were Team Edward or Team Jacob.