Play Book Tag discussion

The Lake House
This topic is about The Lake House
May 2018: Family Drama > The Lake House / Kate Morton. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9050 comments In 1933, when Alice was a teenager, her 11 month old brother disappeared one night during a party. In 2003, Sadie, a detective, has been suspended from her job and is in Cornwall when she comes across the mystery of Alice’s baby brother, Theo, so she tries to figure out what happened to the little boy.

I quite liked this. There are a lot of perspectives and a lot of jumping around in time, which usually don’t bother me, but even when in the past, I really had to pay attention to the start of the chapters (which outlined what time period we were in), as we even jumped between the 1930s and earlier than that. The end was quite a coincidence, though I think there as an attempt to explain coincidences a bit earlier (though in a different context). It wasn’t impossible, but still a bit far-fetched. This and “The Distant Hours” are the ones I’ve rated the lowest by her, though 4 stars is still very good, in my opinion. Have to admit that, going through a stressful time, there were times when I had a bit of trouble focusing, but I don’t think I really missed anything for it.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I started this on audio but i didn’t love the narrator so I plan to read it instead some time. Thanks for your review. It puts it back on my radar.

LibraryCin | 9050 comments I think others have agreed that it's not her best. Some really haven't liked it, due to the coincidence at the end, I think.

I hope you end up liking it, once you give it another try. I have no idea what the audio is like.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments I have yet to read a book by Morton ... MUST rectify this ....

message 5: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments The only Morton I've read is The Forgotten Garden, I really want to read another but I keep remembering that it moved slowly for me, so I've been putting it off.

LibraryCin | 9050 comments Joi wrote: "The only Morton I've read is The Forgotten Garden, I really want to read another but I keep remembering that it moved slowly for me, so I've been putting it off."

I don't thank any of them are really page-turners. :-) But, I've managed to enjoy them, anyway!

message 7: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I don't thank any of them are really page-turners. :-) But, I've managed to enjoy them, anyway! "

Good to know. I gave The Forgotten Garden 5 stars, and remember really liking/almost loving it- so I really should get to another Morton.