Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Women Horror Writers

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments I am looking for recommendations on female horror authors. Anyone have some good ones? I feel like women are under-represented in this genre, setting aside people like Shirley Jackson, etc.

message 2: by Paul (last edited May 06, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

Paul (modquokka) | 6 comments Out of left field, but have you considered some of the works of Daphne Du Maurier. I think she's wrongly classed as a romantic novelist ... 'her stories seldom feature a conventional happy ending and have been described as "moody and resonant" with overtones of the paranormal.'

Hitchcock loved her work - which says a lot (the Birds being based on one of her short stories). I've read a few of her short stories and three novels and she's weird (ahead of her time I think).

Others...

Anne Rice
Susan Hill
Mary Shelley
Majorie Bowen

They're the few I've read - I need to read more!

message 3: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments HI Thanks for those recommendations, Paul. I have read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. Never would have classified it as horror, though! Maybe some of her others have more of a horror aspect to them. I'll have to check it out.

message 4: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5519 comments Mod
Sarah Pinborough
Tamara Thorne
Ruby Jean Jensen
Sarah Langan
Joyce Carol Oates
Mira Grant
C.J. Tudor

message 5: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 605 comments Ania Ahlborn is one of my favorite horror authors.

Darcy Coates has written a lot of haunted house/ghost stories.

Jennifer McMahon has written The Winter People and The Night Sister, both of which I would classify at least part way as horror.

message 6: by Char (last edited May 07, 2018 07:10AM) (new)

Char  | 16820 comments Mod
Trying to avoid those already mentioned:

Mary SanGiovanni

Amber Fallon

Shirley Jackson

Sandy DeLuca

Ania Ahlborn

message 7: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3402 comments Mod
Yvonne Navarro wrote Afterage. Just read this and it's pretty good.

message 9: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments Skin by Kathe Koja by Kathe Koja looks gory. I think I'll give it a try! Those other suggestions look good, too.

Thanks guys!

message 10: by Laurie (last edited May 07, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

Laurie   (barklesswagmore) | 1471 comments Sherri wrote: "Skin by Kathe Koja by Kathe Koja looks gory. I think I'll give it a try! Those other suggestions look good, too.

Thanks guys!"

That's one of my favorites. An artist takes body modification to the extreme. Her prose takes a little getting used to but I loved it.

message 11: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11277 comments Mod
WendyB wrote: "Yvonne Navarro wrote Afterage. Just read this and it's pretty good."

yes it was.

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3719 comments I see no one has mentioned Amy Cross on here. Her books can go from an old fashion ghost story to extreme gore. She has a wide variety of books that will capture just about anything you are looking for in horror.

Also a couple of others are:

Catherine Cavendish

Willow Cross

message 13: by Alan (new)

Alan | 5519 comments Mod
I wasn't familiar with Amy Cross so I looked her up and discovered several of her books are currently .99 on Amazon. While reading the summary of one of her books, I couldn't help but laugh when at the end of the synopsis was this little gem of info: "Please note: This book contains violence and adult language. Not suitable for children."
I can see where people get her and J.K. Rowling confused regularly.

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3719 comments Alan wrote: "I wasn't familiar with Amy Cross so I looked her up and discovered several of her books are currently .99 on Amazon. While reading the summary of one of her books, I couldn't help but laugh when at..."

Actually all of the books by Amy Cross are $.99 and sometimes they are free on kindle. It is rare if any of her books are more than the $.99. I have quite a few of her books and some of them can get very gritty and raw. :)

message 15: by Benjamin (last edited May 10, 2018 01:16AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I've got quite a few not yet mentioned:

Michelle Paver's Dark Matter is probably the best ghost story of the last 10 years, and Thin Air is also excellent.

Caitlin Kiernan's later novels, The Red Tree and The Drowning Girl, are both fantastic.

Catriona Ward's Rawblood is a brilliant twisty gothic novel with a particularly horrific phantom at the heart of it.

Laura Purcell's The Silent Companions came out quite recently, and is a superb slow-build haunting based on some little-known aspects of English stately homes.

Although Edith Nesbit is best known for her children's books, her collection of ghost stories, The Power of Darkness: Tales of Terror is very worth reading.

DK Broster's Couching at the Door is one of the classic collections of early 20th-century ghost stories, and often overlooked.
Eleanor Scott's Randalls Round is another good - and even more obscure - example.

Going back even further, Vernon Lee was a ground-breaking writer in a number of genres in the late 19th century, and Hauntings and Other Fantastic Tales contains some very memorable pieces.

Elizabeth Hand's Wylding Hall is a very effective 1970s haunted house story set during the English acid-folk movement.

Helen Oyeyemi's White is for Witching is borderline horror but one of the most memorable malevolent buildings I've encountered in fiction.

And, of course, Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger attracted praise from all quarters when it came out.

message 16: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments Marie wrote: "I see no one has mentioned Amy Cross on here. Her books can go from an old fashion ghost story to extreme gore. She has a wide variety of books that will capture just about anythin..."

THank you for suggesting Amy Cross! I marked many of her books as to-read, since I love ghost stories, and stories about asylums! I'm excited.

message 17: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments Benjamin wrote: "I've got quite a few not yet mentioned:

Michelle Paver's Dark Matter is probably the best ghost story of the last 10 years, and Thin Air is also excellent.

Caitlin ..."

Benjamin, thank you for all those great suggestions.

message 18: by Char (new)

Char  | 16820 comments Mod
Of Benjamin's suggestions, I've read Wylding Hall and The Little Stranger and enjoyed both!

message 19: by Latasha (new)

Those are some great suggestions! I’ll be adding some of those to my to read list.

message 20: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3719 comments Sherri wrote: "Marie wrote: "I see no one has mentioned Amy Cross on here. Her books can go from an old fashion ghost story to extreme gore. She has a wide variety of books that will capture just..."

You are welcome! I hope you enjoy her books as much as I do. :)

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 328 comments I was glad to see someone mention Vernon Lee. I found her short story "Amour Dure" in particular mesmerizing.

Elizabeth Hand's Generation Loss is good, dark fiction residing somewhere in the territory between THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO. I've also admired her novellas "Cleopatra Brimstone" and "Near Zennor."

I second Caitlin Kiernan, whose recent novella "Agents of Dreamland" is a weird amalgamation of Lovecraft and William Hope Hodgson with a drop or two of The X-Files added for flavor. I just ordered her newest book Black Helicopters, an expansion of a novella.

For something a bit lighter, Tananarive Due's Ghost Summer: Stories and Sarah Monette's The Bone Key: The Necromantic Mysteries of Kyle Murchison Booth are great fun.

One of the three or four best horror novels I've read since the turn of this century is Experimental Film by Gemma Files. There's more to it than just "BOO!" and the "BOO!" is quite effective.

message 22: by Latasha (new)

I know I read experimental film but I don’t know if I finished it. I don’t remember how it ended or much about it really.

message 23: by Randy (new)

Randy Money | 328 comments Latasha wrote: "I know I read experimental film but I don’t know if I finished it. I don’t remember how it ended or much about it really."

I'm surprised. It's kind of a late coming-of-age story for Lois, who is almost overwhelmed by her son's Asperger Syndrome. For escape she dives into and reviews the Canadian experimental films. I found the novel compelling and completely absorbed while reading. The year I read it the only thing I read I'd say was better was Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts.

message 24: by Latasha (new)

Randy wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I know I read experimental film but I don’t know if I finished it. I don’t remember how it ended or much about it really."

I'm surprised. It's kind of a late coming-of-age story fo..."

I remember some of it just not much and if I finished it or not.

message 25: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 63 comments Daphne du Maurier (The Birds and Rebecca). Charlotte Perkins Gilman (The Yellow Wallpaper). Susan Hill (The Woman in Black). V C Andrews (Flowers in the Attic).

message 26: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 336 comments Which collection of Amy Cross's short stories is suggested?