Public Domain Readers discussion

That Mother-in-Law of Mine
This topic is about That Mother-in-Law of Mine
Group Book Discussions Archives > That Mother-in-Law of Mine - May 2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lanelle | 450 comments Mod
Please share what you think of the characters and story for That Mother-in-Law of Mine.

Sawako | 493 comments Mod
I liked the book. It was a lovely story. I didn't like Fred. I think if Fred wasn't there, things would have been better between Charles and his mother-in-law.

I think Fred played the part of a catalyst. Fred helped Charles and his mother-in-law identify what issues they had with each other. And we were able to see Charles mature from the young man he was around Fred to someone with responsibilities. So maybe Fred was 'a necessary evil'.

Oh, You are right when you say it like that.

message 5: by Lanelle (last edited May 09, 2018 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sawako, what did you think of Bessie's character? Do you think the author could have portrayed her differently? Was s/he smart in leaving Bessie out of the drama?

Do you think the author could have portrayed her differently?
Yes.

Was s/he smart in leaving Bessie out of the drama?
Yes and no. Yes, based on the title. The main focus of the book is the Mother-in-Law. And the narrator is the son-in-law, Charles. That's what the book did.

We only saw Bessie's character when she was firm to name her son Charles. I felt there would be more but it didn't happen.

What do you think, Lanelle?

message 7: by Lanelle (last edited May 14, 2018 08:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think the author could have portrayed Bessie differently, but I'm glad s/he didn't. I think that would have crossed the lines between tension and full drama. And I'm relieved that more examples of the tension were not given either. That, also, would be too much. I think the author achieved a nice balance between the two levels.