Play Book Tag discussion

Lord of the Flies
This topic is about Lord of the Flies
Archive: Other Books > Lord of the Flies - William Golding - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 9372 comments Its 9th grade reading for my fifteen year old, and it was high school reading for me 30 plus years ago. Hated and didn't understand it then - still feel the same way. Why is this particular book chosen for high school reading against all the other choices? What value is my child supposed to get from this? I know a lot of people have well loved this book, but it wasn't for me. But hey, I am still looking forward to Grapes of Wrath and Catcher in the Rye.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Amy wrote: "Its 9th grade reading for my fifteen year old, and it was high school reading for me 30 plus years ago. Hated and didn't understand it then - still feel the same way. Why is this particular book ch..."

I also read this with my son for 9th grade English this year. Feel the same as you did. I don't think either one of us particularly liked this book.

Booknblues | 6886 comments I read it in high school and it still sticks with me. It seemed pretty valid at the time.

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I've been wondering if I should read this. I kind of feel like you're supposed to read the classics but I don't know after my feelings about Catcher in the Rye.

Kelly | 848 comments 9th grade reading for my daughter also. I have it on hold at the library and I will be reading it soon. I remember it from years ago, but your 2 star rating does not have me looking forward to it.

Cora (corareading) | 1457 comments I read this in 9th grade too. I really liked it at the time. It was one of the few classics I felt I could relate to.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Read in high school. I didn’t particularly like it but felt that I might feel differently if I read now.

Ellen | 2330 comments I just read this a few months ago and, surprisingly, I liked it fairly well. Maybe if I had read it in high school I would have hated it then. It is such a frighteningly vivid tale of how quickly things can get out of hand when the wrong people are in control.

message 9: by LibraryCin (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 9079 comments I remember this as being one of the books I had to read in high school that I liked. Can't recall the grade, but very well could have been grade 9.

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I read this in high school too and really liked it. I think I related to it more because when I was younger I got bullied a lot. High school was better and I think I remember the teacher making a point of what if’s for survival and bullying.

We also ended up reading Hatchet (another survival story & favorite).

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments I know it was assigned in high school (or junior hi) ... but I (re)read a few years ago. 5-stars from me. But stay away from the audio!

I think it's a great study on types of leadership and how a charismatic (but totally "wrong") leader can influence a group.

Snippet from My Full REVIEW
With no structure other than what they themselves create and impose, the group descends into savage survivalist mode. Their immaturity sometimes results in decisions made for immediate gratification without thought to the future implications.

Cynthia I had to read this book in about grade 11, I think. I was a pretty intense teenager and I really liked the intensity of the book. However, I remember thinking at the time that it wasn't a kid's book even though it was about kids.

message 13: by annapi (new) - added it

annapi | 5159 comments I read this on my own in my teen years, and didn't like it then either. But at least it's short.

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Also a fan of this book. I found it to be fascinating social commentary on our inherent human nature . . .It is dark and intense, but so is The Hunger Games really . . .

Ellen | 2330 comments Anita wrote: "Also a fan of this book. I found it to be fascinating social commentary on our inherent human nature . . .It is dark and intense, but so is The Hunger Games really . . ."
That is an interesting comparison. While I enjoyed "LOTF", I honestly did not like "HG". It was not the writing; Collins can certainly write an exciting story. Although they both deal with violence in youngsters, "HG" has intentional, voyeuristic killing. I couldn't deal with that series.

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I didn't like this in high school but as I get older I appreciate it more. Unchecked human nature is scary.

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Ellen wrote: "Anita wrote: "Also a fan of this book. I found it to be fascinating social commentary on our inherent human nature . . .It is dark and intense, but so is The Hunger Games really . . ."
That is an i..."

To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of Hunger Games either, and I did like LOTF as you did. But I see parallels to some extent. Hunger Games felt more contrived to me.

message 18: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2671 comments Having just read “The Power”, it’s probably a good prompt to reread this. I remember liking it - but being scared witless by it - when I read it at about 12...

message 19: by Idit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Idit | 1028 comments I read it in high school and LOVED it. I remember that at similar time we also had Old man and the sea (is this how it’s called?) and I was so bored by it and couldn’t relate to anything in it.
LOTF was wonderful. It’s about kids, it’s an adventure, it has characters I could relate to and some I could hate, and an interesting social commentary that is a little bit black and white (also a bonus with kids)

Reminds me in many ways of the impact that Animal Farm has and how easy it is for kids to intuitively ‘get it’

Another thing is that growing up in Israel and being totally inundated with holocaust books and stories, I often wondered as a teenager what would I do if I was in their place (mainly - would I hate minirities and be ruthless if I was in the same position, but I pretty much put myself in any role and questioned how long my values would last under real pressure

And this is what this book is about - human nature, how thin is the civilised front we have, is it only skin deep, do some kids stay humane and have some ethical core, or does it all disappear once pushed.
I found that very interesting debate at the time.

(Mind you, I remember the majority of my classmates hated the book)