Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Member-Author Group Read > May/June 2018: War Party by J. Drew Brumbaugh

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
Our May/June 2018 Member-Author Group Read is War Party by J. Drew Brumbaugh by J. Drew Brumbaugh

Synopsis

In a world where dreams are belittled and apathy has become a staple, War Party proves that one unlikely hero can still make a difference. Tommy Galiwee, a native-American teen, wants desperately to be a warrior despite having been taught that Indian warriors no longer exist. Criticized and harassed by his father and tribal elders, Tommy sets out to prove he is much more than an idle dreamer. Driven by a mysterious vision and seeking to fulfill his dream, Tommy will lead a group of rag-tag friends on an adventure they will never forget; an adventure that will find them pitted against a group of well-funded modern day terrorists determined to seize and destroy the tiny town of Finkle Creek just outside the boys' reservation. In War Party this one young man will find the inner strength to follow his vision, to do the right thing and prove that true Indian spirit and courage still exists.

Let's Read and Discuss!!!

message 2: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments I have started re-reading the book, only finished 2 chapters so far. I hope others will get a chance to jump into the discussion.

message 3: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Only at page 80 and sadly found a typo. I hate typos even though I know they get through somehow despite all the editing and beta reads. Since I'm reading the print version I'm not sure if that same error is in the ebook (going to check). Anyway, no spoilers here but a thought to get things going. There are some readers who have suggested that because of the cover the book looks like it should be YA which it is not meant to be. Do you agree or do you think the book is just a likely to be seen as an adult book?

message 4: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited May 14, 2018 06:49PM) (new)

J. wrote: "Only at page 80 and sadly found a typo. I hate typos even though I know they get through somehow despite all the editing and beta reads. Since I'm reading the print version I'm not sure if that sam..."

I have not read the book yet, but looking at the cover and reading the synopsis, my first thought would be young adult. I think people define YA in different ways. If you define YA as a book about teenagers/young adults, then this seems to fit. If you define YA as a book meant for teenagers/young adult readers, then maybe not. I'm never quite sure when I read a book classified as YA, what I'm actually getting myself into...the lines are fuzzy.

message 5: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Lisa, thanks for the thoughts. Hopefully others will have an opinion on this as well. I like the cover but wonder if it sends the impression I wanted.

message 6: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Just finished re-reading War Party, and felt pretty good about it. A few typos which aggravated me, but the story held together well despite already knowing the ending. Since it doesn't look like anyone else is reading this, I'll throw out a few things, no spoilers though. First, when I started writing this I had a different main character in mind and a little different ending. Also there is one intentional incongruity built into the story that I thought some reader would call me on but no one ever has. Surprises me. And now I find a second inconsistency that I didn't intend though it is much less glaring in my mind. Hope everyone is reading something they enjoy.

message 7: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I just started this...only a few chapters in, but will let you know how it goes soon.

message 8: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments I see that there are a few more people reading War Party, hopefully some are here. No spoilers. Instead a bit of trivia about how this book got off the ground. First off, I've always been interested in Native American culture and found the Southern Paiutes when I was in Utah. Knowing that there were lots of books with Apaches, Navajo and other tribes, I thought the Shivwit band would be unusual and having visited the reservation where Tommy "lives", I just had to use it somewhere, though it wasn't necessarily going to be this book. The second thing that I thought might be different was the terrorist plot. Why not go after small, really small, I mean tiny towns and not as a suicide mission but to get away and do it again somewhere else. Of course to do that would take serious weaponry and that would undoubtedly gain the interest of the FBI. But what about the reporter? Right now I can't say when she became part of the book. Somehow my muse decided I needed another viewpoint and Katrina appeared. Maybe other authors always know exactly who is in each story before they begin writing. I can't say that. And even with War Party the main character changed while I was writing the book.
Enough from me. I hope those reading the book are enjoying it.

message 9: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I am 75% in and would first like to say that the writing is excellent...definitely would like to see what else this author has to offer! This story separately introduces several seemingly unrelated characters in the beginning of the book, and continually jumps back and forth amongst them throughout the story, keeping us informed of what each is doing along the same timeline. This has kept me continually wondering how they will undoubtedly all come together in some climactic conclusion. I should be finishing this in the next day or two and will write more then. I'm always interested in hearing from authors on how their stories come about and your last post was interesting J. Good choice to bring Katrina into the mix.

message 10: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Finished...Great story J. Are you working on anything else right now?

message 11: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Lisa, thanks for the kind words. Currently I am working on a sequel to War Party that I hope to have out later this year. In addition I have book 3 in a fantasy trilogy in the works. What did you think of Hamid? Originally he was just “the bad guy” but as the book grew I began to think of him differently.

message 12: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (last edited Jun 29, 2018 02:43PM) (new)

J. wrote: "Lisa, thanks for the kind words. Currently I am working on a sequel to War Party that I hope to have out later this year. In addition I have book 3 in a fantasy trilogy in the works. What did you t..."

I thought the same way about Hamid until the very end. Once he got to Finkle Creek, he didn't have any second thoughts at all about killing though. He went from "bad guy", to "maybe not so bad guy", to "definite bad guy" in my mind. I had higher hopes for him that he would do the right thing in the end.

I assume Tommy will be the main character in the sequel? Will we see Kristina and Bert again?

I will definitely check out your fantasy trilogy...thanks!

message 13: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Tommy returns as the main character along with Johanna who has grown into a more important character. Bert and Katrina are still around. And this time there’s no question about the villain tho I hope readers will understand why he does things.

message 14: by J. (new)

J. (jdrew) | 140 comments Thanks for the opportunity to be in this group read, especially to those who voted for my book to get it in. I hope everyone has good things to read and will take time to post reviews when they find that next gem.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

War Party (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J. Drew Brumbaugh (other topics)