Into the Forest discussion

The Astonishing Color of After
This topic is about The Astonishing Color of After
East Asia > The Astonishing Color of After spoiler free

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (last edited May 06, 2018 08:23AM) (new)

Jalilah | 4546 comments Mod
This is the spoiler free thread for the May 15-July 14 young adult winner group read winner The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan!

Margaret | 3769 comments Mod
I've really been wanting to read this. I've heard nothing but good reviews since it came out. I'm glad it was nominated.

message 3: by Jalilah (last edited May 07, 2018 03:07PM) (new)

Margaret wrote: "I've really been wanting to read this. I've heard nothing but good reviews since it came out. I'm glad it was nominated."

Me too! My library has it, but I am #9 in the cue for 5 copies, so I don't know how soon I'll have it.

I’m #6 in line, so it might be a bit for me too.

message 5: by Melanti (last edited May 08, 2018 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Looks like 12 holds on 2 copies at one library, and 14 holds on 1 copy at the other. It'll be a while for me too. That's theoretically a 2-3 month wait.

Obviously a popular book!

message 7: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments My copy came in, finally, so I'll be starting next week.

message 8: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 12, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

I just saw The Astonishing Colour of After And The City of Brass are both in transit! Yay!
Now which one will I read first?

I finished The Astonishing Color of After earlier this week (or last?) and really enjoyed it. The mythology isn't so prevalent, but I'd like to read more about the significance of birds and the religious practices. Come to think of it, I can't remember what religion is shown in the second half of the novel. Will one of you look out for that? I think it's Buddhism...

I especially enjoyed the use of art and colors. I'll be interested in hearing what others think! I suspect all of you will like it.

message 10: by Jalilah (last edited Jun 29, 2018 03:52AM) (new)

I must say I was put off by the first few chapters. I don't mind reading about younger characters at all, in fact there are many YA books I love, but the scene on the couch just seems sooo teenage to me. Maybe because of the recent news about suicides by high profile people who have children I am just not in the mood to read about this subject matter. I'm still in shock because of Anthony Bourdain! 😭
If I had nothing else to read I'd probably continue, but as it is 2 other long awaited library books have arrived, so I think I'm going to pass for now.

Ah, I read it before the two high profile suicides. I will say she writes from experience. She explains at the end she had a family member commit suicide. I really ended up enjoying the book, but my least favorite parts were the parts with Axel (I believe that was his name?). My favorite parts took place in Taiwan.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I finally got this yesterday and have started it.

I've got to say I'm not a fan of the first few chapters. Like Lila, I'm finding them rather too teenagey.

And the synesthesia-ish descriptions of emotions are interesting, but it's making it feel a bit over written.