Into the Forest discussion

The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales
Original Fairy Tales > The Turnip Princess

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jalilah | 4536 comments Mod
This thread is for the original tale collection winner for the May 15-July 14 Group Read, The Turnip Princess and Other Newly Discovered Fairy Tales!

message 2: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 856 comments I'm in!

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
I've been wanting to read this since it came out. I will definitely be joining in!

message 4: by Asaria (last edited May 07, 2018 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments I'm in too.

Me too!

message 6: by Carole (new)

Carole Weave-lane (writingnamecaroleweave-lane) | 104 comments I'm in.

message 7: by Carole (new)

Carole Weave-lane (writingnamecaroleweave-lane) | 104 comments I wanted to add that I have read The Turnip Princess several years ago and printed it out. It had a delightful picture too.. it was fascinating.

I just started this morning. They are very unusual and different, not like others I've read.

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Oooh, that's exciting. I like different!

I plan to listen to this on audiobook, which should be interesting!

message 10: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I might have to break down and buy this one... I tried putting on a hold for it at the library, but it's saying my privileged is expired and I have no idea what that means. I'll probably have to go in person to sort it out, but the idea of making three trips to the library with the horrible road construction going on is really unappealing.

message 11: by Leah (last edited May 16, 2018 04:51PM) (new) - added it

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Melanti wrote: "I might have to break down and buy this one... I tried putting on a hold for it at the library, but it's saying my privileged is expired and I have no idea what that means. I'll probably have to go..."

That's happened to me before and it was just a matter of going in to reconfirm (just a verbal confirmation in person) my address, email, phone. If you're a longtime patron they may allow you to resolve over the phone. I hate road construction too!

message 12: by Melanti (new)

Leah wrote: " That's happened to me before and it was just a matter of going in to reconfirm (just a verbal confirmation in person) my address, email, phone..."

After I posted, I realized that I got a email a couple of months ago about my library card expiring soon... I'd tried to renew it via the web portal then, but for whatever reason it still had my old address & wouldn't let me enter my current one. I dug through my email inbox and found the email and tried it again and it worked this time! Yay!

I got a confirmation email saying that I'll have to show my ID at the help desk so they can confirm my new address before I can actually check anything out, but it unlocked it enough that I was able to put a hold on the book. 2 trips fighting road construction is so much more manageable than 3. I"m really looking forward to them finishing the freeway.

Melanti wrote: "Leah wrote: " That's happened to me before and it was just a matter of going in to reconfirm (just a verbal confirmation in person) my address, email, phone..."

After I posted, I realized that I g..."

That's good! I am actually liking these stories so far! As I said, there are definitely similaries with other tales, but at the same time, as they are presented they are completely new to me.

message 14: by Jalilah (last edited May 21, 2018 07:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Is anyone else reading? Some of these tales are absolutely delightful! In particular I enjoyed King Goldenlocks, The Red Silk Ribbon, Hans Dudeldee and Anna Mayala. Although they all have similarities with other tales, they are also all very unique. I'm about halfway through.

message 15: by Asaria (last edited May 22, 2018 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments Lila wrote: "Is anyone else reading? Some of these tales are absolutely delightful! In particular I enjoyed King Goldenlocks, The Red Silk Ribbon, Hans Dudeldee and Anna Mayala. Although they all have similarit..."
I got them, but nowadays I fall asleep whenever I try to read anything on trains. I've been traveling a lot recently and I doubt this is going to change for next 2 weeks...

message 16: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Lila wrote: "Is anyone else reading?..."

Not yet, but I definitely will be. I have to get through current stack with no renewals then I get to start the group reads. Probably be around middle of June when I get to join in on the ones I was able to request through my library.

message 17: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity (snappingturtle) | 9 comments Definitely in for this one!

Annette | 266 comments I will be reading it soon! I started this round of group read with Summer in Orcus.

These were absolutely delightful tales that hit the spot for fairy tale cravings! Here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 20: by Melanti (new)

I do want to read this but it's been weeks and the library still hasn't gotten me the copy yet. I checked the catalog and it's no longer in there. Not sure I can afford to buy it this month, either, and they won't let me ILL it.

I might have to pass on this group read, unfortunately.

Annette | 266 comments I’ve finally begun The Turnip Princess. I’m really enjoying the stories!

message 22: by Margaret (new)

I keep getting sidetracked. I thought my library had it on audiobook, and I was wrong. I have plenty of time for audiobooks at work, but I'm backed up on ebook and print galley reading. But I will be reading it soon!

Annette | 266 comments Finally finished. My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 24: by Margaret (new)

I'll be back to it soon, I hope.

Margaret wrote: "I'll be back to it soon, I hope."
It's definitely worth it! There are different tales than I'd ever read before and the over all feeling of the tales is very different from Grimms as well.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

I managed to read the intro and first story (the title story) before I realized I had a bunch of reading I needed to do for Book Riot, and put it on hold. But I'm finished with that reading so should be able to start back.

I left it out on the coffee table, and my daughter chewed a hole in the title page, ha!

message 27: by Asaria (last edited Aug 20, 2018 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments Margaret wrote: "I managed to read the intro and first story (the title story) before I realized I had a bunch of reading I needed to do for Book Riot, and put it on hold. But I'm finished with that reading so shou..."

Your daughter has good taste :)

message 28: by Margaret (new)

Asaria wrote: "Your daughter has good taste :)."

Oh, she's a great consumer of books. :)

message 29: by Asaria (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments Margaret wrote: "Asaria wrote: "Your daughter has good taste :)."

Oh, she's a great consumer of books. :)"

"We are bookworms, so graceful, pretty, smart and healthy
We eat only the best, epigrams, fairy tales and sweet verses
To know well the content, first you need to eat an entire book, yum, yum"

Sorry, I just couldn't resist quoting the old children song :)

message 30: by Margaret (new)

I've never heard of that song! That's absolutely perfect.

message 31: by Asaria (last edited Aug 22, 2018 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments Margaret wrote: "I've never heard of that song! That's absolutely perfect."

This is a Polish song written for Poland's TV Series for children "Kulfon i Monika" (Kulfon and Monica) from 80s. Its title is "Mole książkowe" that means "Bookworms".

message 32: by Margaret (new)

Asaria wrote: "Margaret wrote: "I've never heard of that song! That's absolutely perfect."

The song was written for Poland's TV Series for children "Kulfon and Monika" from 80s."

The images from that show look hilarious. :) Kid's shows are so funny.

message 33: by Asaria (last edited Aug 22, 2018 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 680 comments Margaret wrote: "The images from that show look hilarious. :) Kid's shows are so funny."

In 80s it was one of the most popular shows among the target demographic. Not my era, but the songs are still relatively well known.

message 34: by Carole (new)

Carole Weave-lane (writingnamecaroleweave-lane) | 104 comments Greetings, I don't know if I put a comment up about The Turnip Princess by Franz Xavier von Schonwerth, which had been locked away in an archieve,'but I am adding it in now. I did enjoy this one, and for days afterwards was imagining baby turnips growing in the fields. I suppose it followed a 'fairy tale format in hindsight' but it is now months after I read it that I am just adding it in here. love the way the Prince, upon advice of an old woman, witch, a bear and a dog aided him to dig up a turnip, after placing an old nail there and he would find. Well that be telling. But we have drama, love, romance and a journeying with pitfalls in it.