Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Giveaway: Dis' Taste

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited May 06, 2018 07:40AM) (new)

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
A new giveaway is being hosted for the new book Dis' Taste by Caven Tootell. For this book there are 25 ebook copies.

Copies are open to all participants.

The giveaway will be held from today, May 6th until June 6th. Winners will have 48 hours to send me their information. After 48 hours they will forfeit their win. New winners will not be drawn. Failure to claim your win may result in disqualification from future giveaways. Books will be emailed to winners by June 10th. The author request you review the book after reading it.

Happy reading!

Book Description: Set in pre-WWI Congo Free State, the story follows two Belgian Colonial officers, Philippe and Augustine and the latter’s wife, Clementine.

The Congo Free State was established as a private fiefdom of King Leopold of Belgium, to extract as much wealth as could possibly be achieved with no care on the effect to the native people. Estimates point to deaths of over ten million Congolese during Belgian rule.
Augustine brings his new wife into country; to bring a piece of normality into their lives, the two men strike up a friendly challenge to host each other to lavish dinner parties using exotic local foods and recipes. The story then follows the three characters, their interactions with each other, other Europeans, Africans, and the oppressive state sponsored rape of the country.

The violent environment creates a surreal world where each person attempts to forge a new life for themselves, but eventually descend into an ever darkening world of lost dreams, disillusionment and hatred. At the start, Philippe is brutally and savagely maimed in an attack. The aftermath causes him to deal with an ever increasing post-traumatic shock, whilst managing a company rubber plantation, using opium as a crutch.

All characters strive to build themselves an elusive, better life, but the oppressiveness of the country overtakes their lives. Philippe questions the ethics of what they are doing, whilst working his plantation with local assistants and an indigenous woman. Augustine suffers issues with the nature of his work which causes him to lose his sense of proportion, humanity and ability to relate to Clementine, who finds comfort with Philippe.

The friendship between each person becomes more and more strained with the cycle of substance abuse, distrust and tensions over their relationships, eventually leading to the outside horror visiting their lives.

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 3 comments Jasmine wrote: "A new giveaway is being hosted for the new book Dis' Taste by Caven Tootell. For this book there are 25 ebook copies.

Copies are open to all participants.

The giveaway will be held from today, ..."

message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 3 comments I would like to be considered for the giveaway. The
Congo has always interested me.

message 4: by Caven (new)

Caven Tootell Colleen,

Not sure if you received a Giveaway copy. Please let me know and I am more than happy to send you the ebook should you wish to read it.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Crampton (cramptonmargaret) | 8075 comments I would like to be considered for the giveaway. I have read King Leopold’s Ghost and this book will be very relevant to my interest in Africa and colonialism. I would love the kindle version. Many thanks.

message 6: by Caven (new)

Caven Tootell Margaret wrote: "I would like to be considered for the giveaway. I have read King Leopold’s Ghost and this book will be very relevant to my interest in Africa and colonialism. I would love the kindle version. Many ..."

Margaret - the GoodReads link has now been closed, but more than happy to send an ecopy (epub or mobi?) to you - would just need your email address.
Cheers

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 3 comments Colleen wrote: "I would like to be considered for the giveaway. The
Congo has always interested me."

I have not received the copy of the book. Thanks for the follow up.

message 8: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited May 14, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

Caven, normally you send all the books at the end of the giveaway to ensure all the winners get their copy.

message 9: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3416 comments Mod
Hey all, just a reminder- please DON'T post your email address or any personal information in public threads. It's very easy for spammers and scammers to get your info from public threads.

Margaret and Colleen, I've deleted your posts with Margaret's email address in them.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bowe (sarahsbookstack) I'd like to be considered, thank you.

message 11: by Caven (new)

Caven Tootell Jasmine wrote: "Caven, normally you send all the books at the end of the giveaway to ensure all the winners get their copy."

Jasmine, my apologies - typed that without engaging my brain. Will sit back and wait until the end of the Giveaway. Sorry.

message 12: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 22 comments I would like to participate.

message 13: by Pat (new)

Pat | 5 comments Yes please would love to win

message 14: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (last edited Jun 13, 2018 04:27AM) (new)

Congrats to:

Ankit
Pat
Sarah
Colleen
Margaret

Please send me your emails to receive your ebook.

message 15: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Hey guys,
I passed on your emails to the author, I just deleted the comments so your personal information wouldn't be visible to everyone.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bowe (sarahsbookstack) thank you!

message 17: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 22 comments Jasmine wrote: "Hey guys,
I passed on your emails to the author, I just deleted the comments so your personal information wouldn't be visible to everyone."

Thanks!!